2.5TD Head scrap?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-06, 12:01 PM
Fergus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
2.5TD Head scrap??

I have just removed the head for a 2.5TD engine that suffered a
headgasket failure and blew all its coolant out. On inspection it was
obvious that number 2 & 3 cylinder had failed allowing coolant into the
bores and exhaust gas into the coolant. Appart from verly likely being
warped & needing a skim the head has a fine crack from the exhaust
valve to the hotspot on number 2 & 3 cylinder, they dont appear to go
near any water or oilways however. Is this head now scrap? Can anyone
repair a cracked head reliably and where is the best place to source a
replacement head (I believe 2.5 NA head is same am I right?). Or should
I just have the head skimmed and expect slightly lower compression on 2
& 3 in the future? Does anyone in the group have a spare 2.5 diesel
head?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Fergus



 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-06, 01:01 PM
Huw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2.5TD Head scrap??

Fergus wrote:
> I have just removed the head for a 2.5TD engine that suffered a
> headgasket failure and blew all its coolant out. On inspection it was
> obvious that number 2 & 3 cylinder had failed allowing coolant into
> the bores and exhaust gas into the coolant. Appart from verly likely
> being warped & needing a skim the head has a fine crack from the
> exhaust valve to the hotspot on number 2 & 3 cylinder, they dont
> appear to go near any water or oilways however. Is this head now
> scrap? Can anyone repair a cracked head reliably and where is the
> best place to source a replacement head (I believe 2.5 NA head is
> same am I right?). Or should I just have the head skimmed and expect
> slightly lower compression on 2 & 3 in the future? Does anyone in the
> group have a spare 2.5 diesel head?
>


Check that it is warped or damaged before skimming. In all probability it is
fine unless the exhaust gas has gouged metal away. Anyhow, I don't think the
crack is much to worry about. I would slam it back on and see what happens.
It might never happen again. OTOH who knows? There are so many variables,
such as how long it was before you noticed the failure and how high did the
head temperature get?

Huw


 
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-06, 01:01 AM
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2.5TD Head scrap??

In message <1136142263.708152.277740@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
"Fergus" <fergus.kendall@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I have just removed the head for a 2.5TD engine that suffered a
> headgasket failure and blew all its coolant out. On inspection it was
> obvious that number 2 & 3 cylinder had failed allowing coolant into the
> bores and exhaust gas into the coolant. Appart from verly likely being
> warped & needing a skim the head has a fine crack from the exhaust
> valve to the hotspot on number 2 & 3 cylinder, they dont appear to go
> near any water or oilways however. Is this head now scrap? Can anyone
> repair a cracked head reliably and where is the best place to source a
> replacement head (I believe 2.5 NA head is same am I right?). Or should
> I just have the head skimmed and expect slightly lower compression on 2
> & 3 in the future? Does anyone in the group have a spare 2.5 diesel
> head?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
> Fergus
>


It doesn't sound too good for your head - but having a specialist look
at it may be worth doing.

The NA head is not the same as TD head - the exhaust valaves are bigger
on the TD. If you do look for a second hand one, don't forget to
look out for LDV vans with the TD in.

Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Boycott the Yorkshire Dales - No Play, No Pay
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-06, 08:01 AM
Fergus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2.5TD Head scrap??

Thanks for the feedback, I have taken a couple of photos detailing the
cracks in the head, I think they are a fair bit worse than I described,
is the head a gonner?

This picture shows the head as a whole, only cyl 1 is 100% undamaged:
http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/5835/head6cn.jpg

You can see number 3 cylinder has become pitted although valve seats
are still ok.

This picture is a closeup of 2,3 & 4 cylinder with cracks arrowed
http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/5413/headdam8vo.jpg

Anyone think its repairable or is it time to fork out £400 + vat for a
new one?

Thanks,
Fergus

 
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-06, 09:01 AM
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2.5TD Head scrap??

In message <1136217407.505516.97560@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>
"Fergus" <fergus.kendall@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback, I have taken a couple of photos detailing the
> cracks in the head, I think they are a fair bit worse than I described,
> is the head a gonner?
>
> This picture shows the head as a whole, only cyl 1 is 100% undamaged:
> http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/5835/head6cn.jpg
>
> You can see number 3 cylinder has become pitted although valve seats
> are still ok.
>
> This picture is a closeup of 2,3 & 4 cylinder with cracks arrowed
> http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/5413/headdam8vo.jpg
>
> Anyone think its repairable or is it time to fork out £400 + vat for a
> new one?


I still think a trip to a specialist is worth a go.

If you can't get a 2nd had one, you still don't need to spend that much ;-)

>
> Thanks,
> Fergus
>


Richard

--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Boycott the Yorkshire Dales - No Play, No Pay
 
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-06, 09:01 AM
Huw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2.5TD Head scrap??


"Fergus" <fergus.kendall@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:1136217407.505516.97560@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
Thanks for the feedback, I have taken a couple of photos detailing the
cracks in the head, I think they are a fair bit worse than I described,
is the head a gonner?

Stick it back on. You have nothing except a bit of time to lose and £400 to
gain. The most serious crack IMO is the one between the two valves but any
one could be fatal in the end. Are you sure that it was the head gasket that
caused the coolant problem or was it due to gas leaking through those
cracks?

Apart from that, shop around for a cylinder head should you need one. There
is surely someone supplying generic copies at a fraction of that cost. Try
an agricultural parts supplier who has an agency for VAP, Bepco or a myriad
of others and who, most importantly, have good storemen. Some supply
cylinder heads for tractors at a fraction of the price so I can't see why
they would not cater for LR as well. After all, most of them still fetch
their tractor parts in the LR.

Also do consider going the used route if you have to.

Huw


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome