Is a 265/75R16 tyre too wide for my D90 without mods? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 01:01   #1 (permalink)
Dave Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Is a 265/75R16 tyre too wide for my D90 without mods?


Hi all, I have the stock 205/80R16's on my '92 D90. I would like to use
my vehicle to a lot more greenlaning, to get to work safely in all
winter conditions, and also to go on some of my own land. I have looked
through the mags at tyres and it seems the BF Goodrich AT KO's are well
recommended, so unless there's any sage advice to the contrary I've
pretty much decided to get that make. However, what size should I get?
My strictly non-expert instinct is wider is better for ultimate grip, so
I've been eyeing up some 265/75R16's in one of the LRM ads. However, I
still have several unknown questions to be answered :-

a) Will 265/75R16 fit (height and width) without rubbing on my D90?
b) Is there a good reason not to go for such a wide tyre?
c) The tyre is 10% bigger than stock, and one (car) site recommended
against over 2.5% bigger due to the brakes not coping. Is this true for
a D90?

Many thanks in advance for any help experiences, good advice, bad advice
and general abuse to the obvious newbie question :-)

Regards,

Dave.

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-10-2005, 04:01   #2 (permalink)
fanie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is a 265/75R16 tyre too wide for my D90 without mods?

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:25:10 +0000, Dave Smith
<dave.afl@netjump.co.uk> wrote:
>
>a) Will 265/75R16 fit (height and width) without rubbing on my D90?
>b) Is there a good reason not to go for such a wide tyre?
>c) The tyre is 10% bigger than stock, and one (car) site recommended
>against over 2.5% bigger due to the brakes not coping. Is this true for
>a D90?


As Far As I know these are pretty standard here in South Africa and
the BFG are known for good milage. (Thats tyre wear, not fuel
consumption).

we only really got the tdi and td5 in 90 format so I am not too sure
how the d90 will handle them. The big advantage of a taller tire is
that it raises the whole wagon which gives you more clearance. It
might slightly raise your overall gearing but I doubt this would be
noticable.

In South africa a lot of off road driving involves soft sand in which
case the wider and taller the tire the better. In the UK I think you
tend to deal more with mud so I don't think the extra width will help
you much?

regards
stephen
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:01   #3 (permalink)
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is a 265/75R16 tyre too wide for my D90 without mods?

Dave,

BDG AT = Excellent tyre & give good longevity.

On a 90 I think I am right in saying that 265/75R16s will fit without
any problems, though you will need to turn out the lock stops on each
swivel assembly to stop the wheels rubbing on the radius arms on full
lock.

I was told that 265x75s are more suited to a 110 due to the increased
self weight over a 90. Its all to do with ideal ground pressure at
each wheel - the wider the tyre for the same weight reduces the ground
bearing pressure and therefore the vehicles ability to grip due to its
own self weight.

Further to the ground pressure issue I believe the ideal tyre for a 90
is a 235x85R16. Its more or less the same height as the 265x75 but is
a tad narrower, thus restoring some of the ground bearing pressure.

On a practical note, I have 235x75xR16 BFG ATs and can confirm they
are an excellent all rounder. Depending on your wheels you may need
to adjust your lock stops. Its easy though, from memory about a 3/4
spanner sorts its out.

Another thing people may say is that wider tyres put more strain on
the power steering pump. This is true but the 265 pattern is a
standard option anyway on some Defenders so I dont consider it a
problem.

Just my opinion. Others will perhaps disagree.

Jon


On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:25:10 +0000, Dave Smith
<dave.afl@netjump.co.uk> wrote:

>
>Hi all, I have the stock 205/80R16's on my '92 D90. I would like to use
>my vehicle to a lot more greenlaning, to get to work safely in all
>winter conditions, and also to go on some of my own land. I have looked
>through the mags at tyres and it seems the BF Goodrich AT KO's are well
>recommended, so unless there's any sage advice to the contrary I've
>pretty much decided to get that make. However, what size should I get?
>My strictly non-expert instinct is wider is better for ultimate grip, so
>I've been eyeing up some 265/75R16's in one of the LRM ads. However, I
>still have several unknown questions to be answered :-
>
>a) Will 265/75R16 fit (height and width) without rubbing on my D90?
>b) Is there a good reason not to go for such a wide tyre?
>c) The tyre is 10% bigger than stock, and one (car) site recommended
>against over 2.5% bigger due to the brakes not coping. Is this true for
>a D90?
>
>Many thanks in advance for any help experiences, good advice, bad advice
>and general abuse to the obvious newbie question :-)
>
>Regards,
>
>Dave.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:01   #4 (permalink)
Ian Williams
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is a 265/75R16 tyre too wide for my D90 without mods?

fanie wrote:
> we only really got the tdi and td5 in 90 format so I am not too sure
> how the d90 will handle them.


Thanks Stephen. It's the 200tdi that I have. Have I misdescribed my
vehicle when I say D90? I presume that's short for a Defender 90.

Thanks a lot for your tyre advice.

Dave.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:01   #5 (permalink)
Dave Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is a 265/75R16 tyre too wide for my D90 without mods?

Jon wrote:
> On a 90 I think I am right in saying that 265/75R16s will fit without
> any problems, though you will need to turn out the lock stops on each
> swivel assembly to stop the wheels rubbing on the radius arms on full
> lock.


Hi Jon, thanks for your detailed reply. I presume turning out the lock
stops will reduce my turning circle a bit, not really too important
though I guess.

> I was told that 265x75s are more suited to a 110 due to the increased
> self weight over a 90. Its all to do with ideal ground pressure at
> each wheel - the wider the tyre for the same weight reduces the ground
> bearing pressure and therefore the vehicles ability to grip due to its
> own self weight.


Interesting, I'll have to do some more investigation into ground bearing
pressure on the wheels. I wonder if our local tyre shop will understand
what I am talking about ... :-)

> Further to the ground pressure issue I believe the ideal tyre for a 90
> is a 235x85R16. Its more or less the same height as the 265x75 but is
> a tad narrower, thus restoring some of the ground bearing pressure.
>
> On a practical note, I have 235x75xR16 BFG ATs and can confirm they
> are an excellent all rounder. Depending on your wheels you may need
> to adjust your lock stops. Its easy though, from memory about a 3/4
> spanner sorts its out.


I was just planning on steel wheels, don't need anything fancy. What
wheels do you run?

I have heard that occasionally on full articulation the bigger wheels
can rub, have you raised your suspension at all? And when people talk
about raising their suspension by, say, 2", is that an easy job for an
amateur to perform?

Apologies to reply with more questions but the deeper I delve into this,
the more questions I get, and because a complete new set of wheels and
tyres is not cheap I want to get it right :-)

Many thanks for any more advice,

Dave.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:01   #6 (permalink)
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is a 265/75R16 tyre too wide for my D90 without mods?

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:01:22 +0000, Dave Smith
<dave.afl@netjump.co.uk> wrote:

>Jon wrote:
>> On a 90 I think I am right in saying that 265/75R16s will fit without
>> any problems, though you will need to turn out the lock stops on each
>> swivel assembly to stop the wheels rubbing on the radius arms on full
>> lock.

>
>Hi Jon, thanks for your detailed reply. I presume turning out the lock
>stops will reduce my turning circle a bit, not really too important
>though I guess.

Yes it does, perhaps obvious, but the bigger the tyre, the greater its
reduced - ignoring different wheel offsets for different wheels!!!
>
>> I was told that 265x75s are more suited to a 110 due to the increased
>> self weight over a 90. Its all to do with ideal ground pressure at
>> each wheel - the wider the tyre for the same weight reduces the ground
>> bearing pressure and therefore the vehicles ability to grip due to its
>> own self weight.

>
>Interesting, I'll have to do some more investigation into ground bearing
>pressure on the wheels. I wonder if our local tyre shop will understand
>what I am talking about ... :-)

I doubt it! Also, bear in mind, if your driving on sand wide tyres
are good, mud and general UK stuff normally requires the tyres to "dig
in" to some degree rather than "float on".
>
>> Further to the ground pressure issue I believe the ideal tyre for a 90
>> is a 235x85R16. Its more or less the same height as the 265x75 but is
>> a tad narrower, thus restoring some of the ground bearing pressure.
>>
>> On a practical note, I have 235x75xR16 BFG ATs and can confirm they
>> are an excellent all rounder. Depending on your wheels you may need
>> to adjust your lock stops. Its easy though, from memory about a 3/4
>> spanner sorts its out.

>
>I was just planning on steel wheels, don't need anything fancy. What
>wheels do you run?

I have a 200Tdi, 90. Mine is currently sat on Disco 1 steel wheels.
They are fine for both sizes of tyre but the offset is not as great as
3rd party steel modulars so the lock stops need tourning out that
little but more. I trial with mine and dont find the turning circle
that much of a problem. I also managed to get 4 wheels for 20 rather
than paying 30 per wheel for new modulars!
>
>I have heard that occasionally on full articulation the bigger wheels
>can rub, have you raised your suspension at all? And when people talk
>about raising their suspension by, say, 2", is that an easy job for an
>amateur to perform?
>
>Apologies to reply with more questions but the deeper I delve into this,
>the more questions I get, and because a complete new set of wheels and
>tyres is not cheap I want to get it right :-)
>
>Many thanks for any more advice,
>
>Dave.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:01   #7 (permalink)
hugh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is a 265/75R16 tyre too wide for my D90 without mods?

In message <437303ea$0$82637$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>, Dave
Smith <dave.afl@netjump.co.uk> writes
>
>Hi all, I have the stock 205/80R16's on my '92 D90. I would like to use
>my vehicle to a lot more greenlaning, to get to work safely in all
>winter conditions, and also to go on some of my own land. I have looked
>through the mags at tyres and it seems the BF Goodrich AT KO's are well
>recommended, so unless there's any sage advice to the contrary I've
>pretty much decided to get that make. However, what size should I get?
>My strictly non-expert instinct is wider is better for ultimate grip, so
>I've been eyeing up some 265/75R16's in one of the LRM ads. However, I
>still have several unknown questions to be answered :-
>
>a) Will 265/75R16 fit (height and width) without rubbing on my D90?
>b) Is there a good reason not to go for such a wide tyre?
>c) The tyre is 10% bigger than stock, and one (car) site recommended
>against over 2.5% bigger due to the brakes not coping. Is this true for
>a D90?
>
>Many thanks in advance for any help experiences, good advice, bad advice
>and general abuse to the obvious newbie question :-)
>
>Regards,
>
>Dave.
>

265/75 is standard fit on later D90s - my 98 50th Anniversary has them.

You will need to reduce your lock and this will reduce your turning
circle quite a bit. I certainly noticed a difference compared to my 84
D90 with 235/85 which personally I think is a better tyre for off road
use.

Your speedo will also be outside legal limits with the taller tyre and
you will need to sort that out. I don't think you have to change the
actual instrument, but no doubt someone more expert than me will be able
to tell you how it's done on a 90.

I wouldn't take too much notice of what you read on car sites. It
doesn't often translate onto Land Rovers.

HTH
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid at the time of posting
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:01   #8 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is a 265/75R16 tyre too wide for my D90 without mods?

On or around Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:25:10 +0000, Dave Smith
<dave.afl@netjump.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:

>
>Hi all, I have the stock 205/80R16's on my '92 D90. I would like to use
>my vehicle to a lot more greenlaning, to get to work safely in all
>winter conditions, and also to go on some of my own land. I have looked
>through the mags at tyres and it seems the BF Goodrich AT KO's are well
>recommended, so unless there's any sage advice to the contrary I've
>pretty much decided to get that make. However, what size should I get?
>My strictly non-expert instinct is wider is better for ultimate grip, so
>I've been eyeing up some 265/75R16's in one of the LRM ads. However, I
>still have several unknown questions to be answered :-
>
>a) Will 265/75R16 fit (height and width) without rubbing on my D90?
>b) Is there a good reason not to go for such a wide tyre?
>c) The tyre is 10% bigger than stock, and one (car) site recommended
>against over 2.5% bigger due to the brakes not coping. Is this true for
>a D90?


probably, depends, unlikely...


unless you do a lot of very soft ground then it's too wide, really, for most
off-roading. Anything much over about 235 is wide on a 90. On hardish
terrain you'll not gain any grip, and might even lose grip, due to reduced
ground pressure. Grip ain't all about width - I had 10.5 wide on my 110 and
have 7.50s on the SIII 109, and the latter performs better off-road - the
110 was lacking in grip on firm steep stuff, although it had a bit more
flotation on soft going, I suppose - on marginal ground it maybe wouldn't
have sunk where a narrower tyre would - however the range of terrain where
that'd be decisive is quite narrow, and the lack of grip on firm slippery
stuff was quite marked.

SWB series go very nicely on 7.50s, which are about the same width as a 205,
but taller. 235/85 are a good compromise for a SWB or a 90 - a bit wider
than standard, nice tall profile for better diff clearance, but not so wide
that you lose too much grip.



--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination -
we learned to talk." Pink Floyd (1994)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 13:01   #9 (permalink)
Bartty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is a 265/75R16 tyre too wide for my D90 without mods?

I agree with Austin. Not all that good with metric tyre sizes. I have
31x10.5x15 on my 110 that I use for towing my trials landy, that has
7.50x16's on.

Wide "floats" over softer ground, narrow bites down through for grip.
Depends so much on what you are driving on.

Wish we could have a nice tyre that will work on ALL terrain.

Cheers. Chris.
"Austin Shackles" <austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote in message
news:pt37n1ljj5i2tls4hf0ud6spjo44tlj9t9@4ax.com...
> On or around Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:25:10 +0000, Dave Smith
> <dave.afl@netjump.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:
>
>>
>>Hi all, I have the stock 205/80R16's on my '92 D90. I would like to use
>>my vehicle to a lot more greenlaning, to get to work safely in all
>>winter conditions, and also to go on some of my own land. I have looked
>>through the mags at tyres and it seems the BF Goodrich AT KO's are well
>>recommended, so unless there's any sage advice to the contrary I've
>>pretty much decided to get that make. However, what size should I get?
>>My strictly non-expert instinct is wider is better for ultimate grip, so
>>I've been eyeing up some 265/75R16's in one of the LRM ads. However, I
>>still have several unknown questions to be answered :-
>>
>>a) Will 265/75R16 fit (height and width) without rubbing on my D90?
>>b) Is there a good reason not to go for such a wide tyre?
>>c) The tyre is 10% bigger than stock, and one (car) site recommended
>>against over 2.5% bigger due to the brakes not coping. Is this true for
>>a D90?

>
> probably, depends, unlikely...
>
>
> unless you do a lot of very soft ground then it's too wide, really, for
> most
> off-roading. Anything much over about 235 is wide on a 90. On hardish
> terrain you'll not gain any grip, and might even lose grip, due to reduced
> ground pressure. Grip ain't all about width - I had 10.5 wide on my 110
> and
> have 7.50s on the SIII 109, and the latter performs better off-road - the
> 110 was lacking in grip on firm steep stuff, although it had a bit more
> flotation on soft going, I suppose - on marginal ground it maybe wouldn't
> have sunk where a narrower tyre would - however the range of terrain where
> that'd be decisive is quite narrow, and the lack of grip on firm slippery
> stuff was quite marked.
>
> SWB series go very nicely on 7.50s, which are about the same width as a
> 205,
> but taller. 235/85 are a good compromise for a SWB or a 90 - a bit wider
> than standard, nice tall profile for better diff clearance, but not so
> wide
> that you lose too much grip.
>
>
>
> --
> Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
> "For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then
> something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination -
> we learned to talk." Pink Floyd (1994)



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:01   #10 (permalink)
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is a 265/75R16 tyre too wide for my D90 without mods?

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:00:07 +0000, hugh <hugh@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>In message <437303ea$0$82637$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>, Dave
>Smith <dave.afl@netjump.co.uk> writes
>>
>>Hi all, I have the stock 205/80R16's on my '92 D90. I would like to use
>>my vehicle to a lot more greenlaning, to get to work safely in all
>>winter conditions, and also to go on some of my own land. I have looked
>>through the mags at tyres and it seems the BF Goodrich AT KO's are well
>>recommended, so unless there's any sage advice to the contrary I've
>>pretty much decided to get that make. However, what size should I get?
>>My strictly non-expert instinct is wider is better for ultimate grip, so
>>I've been eyeing up some 265/75R16's in one of the LRM ads. However, I
>>still have several unknown questions to be answered :-
>>
>>a) Will 265/75R16 fit (height and width) without rubbing on my D90?
>>b) Is there a good reason not to go for such a wide tyre?
>>c) The tyre is 10% bigger than stock, and one (car) site recommended
>>against over 2.5% bigger due to the brakes not coping. Is this true for
>>a D90?
>>
>>Many thanks in advance for any help experiences, good advice, bad advice
>>and general abuse to the obvious newbie question :-)
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Dave.
>>

>265/75 is standard fit on later D90s - my 98 50th Anniversary has them.
>
>You will need to reduce your lock and this will reduce your turning
>circle quite a bit. I certainly noticed a difference compared to my 84
>D90 with 235/85 which personally I think is a better tyre for off road
>use.
>
>Your speedo will also be outside legal limits with the taller tyre and
>you will need to sort that out. I don't think you have to change the
>actual instrument, but no doubt someone more expert than me will be able
>to tell you how it's done on a 90.


I have found that now I have the 235x85R16s on my speedo is spot on
when tested against the GPS. I also have the factory fit gear cog.

If you bother to change your speedo its an easy job to do, the gauge
doesnt need to be changed but there is a little plastic cog that fits
into the Transfer Box (at the end of the speedo cable) - They are
colour coded so its easy to see which one you have. I think from
memory they are blue and yellow... or is it green? Personally I'd
just put the tyres on and forget about the speedo thing...But thats
just my opinion.

Jon

>
>I wouldn't take too much notice of what you read on car sites. It
>doesn't often translate onto Land Rovers.
>
>HTH


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:51.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.