Advice re wading plugs please - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-06, 02:01 AM
Cassillis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Advice re wading plugs please

Hi all; Can someone please confirm a few things about wading plugs for my
1996 300TDi Defender 90.

1. How many do I need? Some confusion in the information I have been given
some people say two others say only one
2. Where does it or they fit?
3. Are they left in on a permanent basis or should they be place in on the
day of going out to play and then removed?
4. Are they essential for simply crossing small fords or are they meant for
long term immersion into water?
I'm certain some of these Q&A's will be fairly common sense but I would like
a definitive answer from you who are more in the know.

Thanks

Graeme




 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-06, 03:01 AM
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice re wading plugs please

In message <dpo1ks$g6p$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>
"Cassillis" <graeme.culzean@btinternetremove.com> wrote:

> Hi all; Can someone please confirm a few things about wading plugs for my
> 1996 300TDi Defender 90.
>
> 1. How many do I need? Some confusion in the information I have been given
> some people say two others say only one


There's 2 - one in the bottom of the timing case, one at the bottom
of the bell housing.

> 2. Where does it or they fit?
> 3. Are they left in on a permanent basis or should they be place in on the
> day of going out to play and then removed?


They shouldn't be left in permenantly.

> 4. Are they essential for simply crossing small fords or are they meant for
> long term immersion into water?


If you are going out for the day and likely to be fording, then fit them.
Just for odd crossing they aren't strictly necessary unless the water is
deep. Personaly, I've never bothered with them, but that's not a
reccomemndation!

> I'm certain some of these Q&A's will be fairly common sense but I would like
> a definitive answer from you who are more in the know.
>
> Thanks
>
> Graeme
>
>


Richard

--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Boycott the Yorkshire Dales - No Play, No Pay
 
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-06, 06:01 AM
David G. Bell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice re wading plugs please

On Saturday, in article
<787d6de54d%beamendsltd@btconnect.com>
beamendsltd@btconnect.com "beamendsltd" wrote:

> In message <dpo1ks$g6p$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>
> "Cassillis" <graeme.culzean@btinternetremove.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all; Can someone please confirm a few things about wading plugs for my
> > 1996 300TDi Defender 90.
> >
> > 1. How many do I need? Some confusion in the information I have been given
> > some people say two others say only one

>
> There's 2 - one in the bottom of the timing case, one at the bottom
> of the bell housing.
>
> > 2. Where does it or they fit?
> > 3. Are they left in on a permanent basis or should they be place in on the
> > day of going out to play and then removed?

>
> They shouldn't be left in permenantly.
>
> > 4. Are they essential for simply crossing small fords or are they meant for
> > long term immersion into water?

>
> If you are going out for the day and likely to be fording, then fit them.
> Just for odd crossing they aren't strictly necessary unless the water is
> deep. Personaly, I've never bothered with them, but that's not a
> reccomemndation!


It's muck and grit in the water that's the major issue, and timing belt
more than the clutch (though, like a brake, a wet clutch can slip: not
good, but it doesn't wreck the engine).

The reason to remove them is simply that the holes are there to allow
oil seepage from the engine and gearbox seals to escape. Given the
propensity for Land Rovers to mark their territory, it's obviously a
good thing not to keep them in the holes, but there's no need to worry
about a day with them in, not unless your seals are knackered. It
depends on your vehicle, but leaving the plugs in for the whole weekend
is likely to be OK too.

People with expedition experience might be able to give better advice,
but I imagine it would make sense to remove them when you make camp, and
put them back in as part of the start-of-day checks.

--
David G. Bell -- SF Fan, Filker, and Punslinger.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-06, 06:01 AM
Cassillis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice re wading plugs please


""David G. Bell"" <dbell@zhochaka.org.uk> wrote in message
news:20060107.1122.105724snz@zhochaka.org.uk...
> On Saturday, in article
> <787d6de54d%beamendsltd@btconnect.com>
> beamendsltd@btconnect.com "beamendsltd" wrote:
>
> > In message <dpo1ks$g6p$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>
> > "Cassillis" <graeme.culzean@btinternetremove.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all; Can someone please confirm a few things about wading plugs for

my
> > > 1996 300TDi Defender 90.


>>Snip<<


Thanks guys exactly what i needed. Do you sell them beamends?


 
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-06, 06:01 AM
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice re wading plugs please

In message <dpogf9$fne$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>
"Cassillis" <graeme.culzean@btinternetremove.com> wrote:

>
> ""David G. Bell"" <dbell@zhochaka.org.uk> wrote in message
> news:20060107.1122.105724snz@zhochaka.org.uk...
> > On Saturday, in article
> > <787d6de54d%beamendsltd@btconnect.com>
> > beamendsltd@btconnect.com "beamendsltd" wrote:
> >
> > > In message <dpo1ks$g6p$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>
> > > "Cassillis" <graeme.culzean@btinternetremove.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > Hi all; Can someone please confirm a few things about wading plugs for

> my
> > > > 1996 300TDi Defender 90.

>
> >>Snip<<

>
> Thanks guys exactly what i needed. Do you sell them beamends?
>
>


Certainly do - ERC7295 - 94P inc VAT

Richard

--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Boycott the Yorkshire Dales - No Play, No Pay
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome