Bah Humbug - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2005, 05:01   #1 (permalink)
Dave P
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Bah Humbug

Don't know if anyones seen this, but it has my support anyway.

I particlarly like the wording of the flyer to put through the doors of
those houses with the rideculous displays. Just polite enough.

http://www.casc.webalias.com/


DaveP

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-23-2005, 06:01   #2 (permalink)
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bah Humbug

I'll tell you sommat else as well, how many of those who criticise our gas
guzzling 4WD's think about what there conspicous consumption is doing to the
environment? All that Christmas tat ends up on the rubbish heap somewhere
and all those lights are creating CO2 to generate the electricity.

I prefer to see my Christmas trees growing in the woods, and I am off
tommorow to spend my Christmas amongst the trees, mountains and lakes (while
they are still there)

--
Larry
Series 3 rust and holes




"Dave P" <davepseudonym@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1135341145.879256.30460@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Don't know if anyones seen this, but it has my support anyway.
>
> I particlarly like the wording of the flyer to put through the doors of
> those houses with the rideculous displays. Just polite enough.
>
> http://www.casc.webalias.com/
>
>
> DaveP
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:01   #3 (permalink)
Si K
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bah Humbug


"Larry" <NDA@larry-arnold.cwm> wrote in message
news:dogsv3$onj$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
> I'll tell you sommat else as well, how many of those who criticise our gas
> guzzling 4WD's think about what there conspicous consumption is doing to
> the
> environment? All that Christmas tat ends up on the rubbish heap somewhere
> and all those lights are creating CO2 to generate the electricity.
>


What a spot on point - I bet Red Ken hasn't thought that throught with all
the extra lights up in the capital!

Si


  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:15   #4 (permalink)
Tim Hobbs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bah Humbug

On 23 Dec 2005 04:32:26 -0800, "Dave P" <davepseudonym@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Don't know if anyones seen this, but it has my support anyway.
>
>I particlarly like the wording of the flyer to put through the doors of
>those houses with the rideculous displays. Just polite enough.
>
>http://www.casc.webalias.com/
>
>
>DaveP


I don't particularly like bright lights all over the outside of
houses. There are none on mine.

But I used to like the way people in this country were free to do what
they like, within the law. Now you cannot fart without some twat
sticking a note through your letterbox, complaining to the council or
getting a petition up. Live and let live - or I'll start complaining
about noise pollution from church bells, trainee terrorists begging on
my doorstep whilst singing and paedophiles in red trying to get my
little girl to sit on their knee. Take a break FFS.

And another thing - for many people in this country, Christmas is NOT
a religious festival. It's a Bank Holiday where it is traditional to
get pissed, run up credit card debt, stick a singing reindeer on the
wall and spend time with the in-laws. I'll endure it my way and let
others do it their's.

If anyone wants to live in a religiously fanatic country, there are
plenty to choose from...

Compliments of the season, BTW....


--
Tim Hobbs
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:16   #5 (permalink)
Nige
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bah Humbug

Tim Hobbs wrote:
> On 23 Dec 2005 04:32:26 -0800, "Dave P" <davepseudonym@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Don't know if anyones seen this, but it has my support anyway.
>>
>> I particlarly like the wording of the flyer to put through the doors
>> of those houses with the rideculous displays. Just polite enough.
>>
>> http://www.casc.webalias.com/
>>
>>
>> DaveP

>
> I don't particularly like bright lights all over the outside of
> houses. There are none on mine.
>
> But I used to like the way people in this country were free to do what
> they like, within the law. Now you cannot fart without some twat
> sticking a note through your letterbox, complaining to the council or
> getting a petition up. Live and let live - or I'll start complaining
> about noise pollution from church bells, trainee terrorists begging on
> my doorstep whilst singing and paedophiles in red trying to get my
> little girl to sit on their knee. Take a break FFS.
>
> And another thing - for many people in this country, Christmas is NOT
> a religious festival. It's a Bank Holiday where it is traditional to
> get pissed, run up credit card debt, stick a singing reindeer on the
> wall and spend time with the in-laws. I'll endure it my way and let
> others do it their's.
>
> If anyone wants to live in a religiously fanatic country, there are
> plenty to choose from...
>
> Compliments of the season, BTW....


All of the above are the ewxact reasons we're getting the f*ck outta dodge this year. Our neighbours & us
are off to Barbados for a week whilst all the loonies fight over Turkeys & cranberry sauce in the
supermarkets!!

Christmas is so boring now, we love it for our five year old to enjoy, but we do try to make her realise
how fortunate she (& us to be honest) is. Religon has little place in my life, but if others wish top
partake of the 'true' meaning of Christmas (or any other relfest) thats fine by me. Being allied to the
building trade we always have a nice long holiday at Christmas!!

So, compliments to those who celebrate it for whatever reasons, but I'm off on me hols on Christmas day!

Nige

--
Subaru WRX
Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"


  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:01   #6 (permalink)
Richard Brookman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bah Humbug

....and Nige spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

> Religon has little place in my life, but if others
> wish top partake of the 'true' meaning of Christmas (or any other
> relfest) thats fine by me.


So what is the "real" meaning of Christmas? Before we had the current
over-commercialised three-month spend-fest, we had a simple religious
celebration with carols, a present each, and a hearty family meal. And
before the Christians came along we had the Viking Jul or Anglo-Saxon Yule
(drink, food, holly and mistletoe for distictly pagan reasons) and before
that the Romans had Saturnalia (drink, food and repeated attempts to cop off
with thy neighbour's wife). No doubt they had something similar in the
Bronze and Iron Ages. Before that, archaeology suggests they all got Stoned
anyway. All held around the end of December, coincidentally. Take your
pick. I'll go for something around AD600, with plenty of food and drink to
brighten up the dull weather and lousy television.

Oh, and I have been given official permission to get on with replacing the
swivels and brake pipes on the Series on Xmas Eve and Boxing Day as long as
I make myself available for Xmas day itself with the M-in-L. Deal.


--
Rich
==============================
Disco 300 Tdi auto
S2a 88" SW
Tiggrr (V8 trialler)


  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:01   #7 (permalink)
Nige
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bah Humbug

Richard Brookman wrote:
> ...and Nige spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...
>
>> Religon has little place in my life, but if others
>> wish top partake of the 'true' meaning of Christmas (or any other
>> relfest) thats fine by me.

>
> So what is the "real" meaning of Christmas? Before we had the current
> over-commercialised three-month spend-fest, we had a simple religious
> celebration with carols, a present each, and a hearty family meal. And before the Christians came along
> we had the Viking Jul or
> Anglo-Saxon Yule (drink, food, holly and mistletoe for distictly
> pagan reasons) and before that the Romans had Saturnalia (drink, food
> and repeated attempts to cop off with thy neighbour's wife). No doubt
> they had something similar in the Bronze and Iron Ages. Before that,
> archaeology suggests they all got Stoned anyway. All held around the
> end of December, coincidentally. Take your pick. I'll go for
> something around AD600, with plenty of food and drink to brighten up
> the dull weather and lousy television.
> Oh, and I have been given official permission to get on with
> replacing the swivels and brake pipes on the Series on Xmas Eve and
> Boxing Day as long as I make myself available for Xmas day itself
> with the M-in-L. Deal.


The 'real' meaning is whatever it means to whoever in my book!

--
Subaru WRX
Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"


  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:01   #8 (permalink)
Derry Argue
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bah Humbug

"Richard Brookman" <newsboy@nowhere.com> wrote in
news:412m23F18u98qU1@individual.net:

> So what is the "real" meaning of Christmas? Before we had the current
> over-commercialised three-month spend-fest, we had a simple religious
> celebration with carols, a present each, and a hearty family meal.
> And before the Christians came along we had the Viking Jul or
> Anglo-Saxon Yule (drink, food, holly and mistletoe for distictly pagan
> reasons) and before that the Romans had Saturnalia (drink, food and
> repeated attempts to cop off with thy neighbour's wife). No doubt they
> had something similar in the Bronze and Iron Ages. Before that,
> archaeology suggests they all got Stoned anyway. All held around the
> end of December, coincidentally. Take your pick. I'll go for
> something around AD600, with plenty of food and drink to brighten up
> the dull weather and lousy television.


I agree the sentiment but think you have missed the point.

Like a lot of grumpy old bachelors, I used to HATE Christmas.

Then someone pointed out that it is the old pagan festival of light. From
now on the days get longer and the nights get shorter.

Now THAT I can live with!! These days I actually look forward to Christmas!
<vbg>

Derry
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:01   #9 (permalink)
Richard Brookman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bah Humbug

....and Derry Argue spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...


> "Richard Brookman" <newsboy@nowhere.com> wrote in
> news:412m23F18u98qU1@individual.net:
>
>> So what is the "real" meaning of Christmas? <snip>


> I agree the sentiment but think you have missed the point.
>
> Like a lot of grumpy old bachelors, I used to HATE Christmas.
>
> Then someone pointed out that it is the old pagan festival of light.
> From now on the days get longer and the nights get shorter.
>
> Now THAT I can live with!! These days I actually look forward to
> Christmas! <vbg>
>
> Derry


Well, that's more or less what I was saying... Take your pick of what
Christmas means, and enjoy it in whatever way you like. What I was
objecting to was the way that people talk about the "real" meaning of Xmas,
when what they mean is a particular construct which has only obtained for a
few hundred years of the tens of thousands that this island has been
inhabited (and its inhabitants getting slammed around the time of the
shortest day).

--
Rich
==============================
Disco 300 Tdi auto
S2a 88" SW
Tiggrr (V8 trialler)


  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:01   #10 (permalink)
Nige
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bah Humbug

Richard Brookman wrote:
> ...and Derry Argue spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...
>
>
>> "Richard Brookman" <newsboy@nowhere.com> wrote in
>> news:412m23F18u98qU1@individual.net:
>>
>>> So what is the "real" meaning of Christmas? <snip>

>
>> I agree the sentiment but think you have missed the point.
>>
>> Like a lot of grumpy old bachelors, I used to HATE Christmas.
>>
>> Then someone pointed out that it is the old pagan festival of light.
>> From now on the days get longer and the nights get shorter.
>>
>> Now THAT I can live with!! These days I actually look forward to
>> Christmas! <vbg>
>>
>> Derry

>
> Well, that's more or less what I was saying... Take your pick of what
> Christmas means, and enjoy it in whatever way you like. What I was
> objecting to was the way that people talk about the "real" meaning of
> Xmas, when what they mean is a particular construct which has only
> obtained for a few hundred years of the tens of thousands that this
> island has been inhabited (and its inhabitants getting slammed around
> the time of the shortest day).


I think you misunderstood me mate, i menat exactly the same!

Nige
--
Subaru WRX
Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.