BFG Trackedges - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2005, 20:02   #1 (permalink)
chris.cox@legend.net.uk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
BFG Trackedges

Hello,

Just bought 6 245/75R16 BFG Trackedge's for my 90 (second hand) and
currently have them on standard defender 90 rims (was advised by a
specialist that they would fit ok) but a few people have advised that
I should look at putting them on bigger rims. What do you guys reckon
?

Cheers,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-05-2005, 04:01   #2 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: BFG Trackedges

On or around 4 Jul 2005 15:11:53 -0700, chris.cox@legend.net.uk enlightened
us thusly:

>Hello,
>
>Just bought 6 245/75R16 BFG Trackedge's for my 90 (second hand) and
>currently have them on standard defender 90 rims (was advised by a
>specialist that they would fit ok) but a few people have advised that
>I should look at putting them on bigger rims. What do you guys reckon


If they're standard narrow 90 rims, then the tyres are a tad wide for them.
110 rims would be better.

--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"Quos deus vult perdere, prius dementat" Euripedes, quoted in
Boswell's "Johnson".
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:01   #3 (permalink)
Andy Sargeant
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: BFG Trackedges

The min rim width for this size tyre going by the BFGoodrich fitment guide
is 6.5J, the 90 and 110 std rim width is 5.5J, in my experience 7J would be
the best size for this tyre.
You need to think about the safety side of things and don't forget that only
the very latest L/Rover steel wheel rims are tubeless, all the earlier steel
wheels need a tube, we are still getting L/Rover Defenders coming in with
the tyres built up tubeless which is a "NO NO"
All the best
Andy Sargeant www.ajstyres.co.uk
01737 241370
AJS 4x4, AJS Tyres
http:\\www.ajstyres.co.uk

<chris.cox@legend.net.uk> wrote in message
news:1120515113.938519.84740@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hello,
>
> Just bought 6 245/75R16 BFG Trackedge's for my 90 (second hand) and
> currently have them on standard defender 90 rims (was advised by a
> specialist that they would fit ok) but a few people have advised that
> I should look at putting them on bigger rims. What do you guys reckon
> ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:01   #4 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: BFG Trackedges

On or around Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:54:23 +0100, "Andy Sargeant"
<andysnocrap@ajstyres.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:

>The min rim width for this size tyre going by the BFGoodrich fitment guide
>is 6.5J, the 90 and 110 std rim width is 5.5J, in my experience 7J would be
>the best size for this tyre.


110s are wider than 90s, though. The 110 rims will take 235/85 tyres, and
indeed are supplied as such by the factory, these days, I think.

standard SWB/90 rims are a bit narrow though as you say. In fact, disco
steel rims are 7J and 205 tyres look distinctly undersized on 'em.


--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"Quos deus vult perdere, prius dementat" Euripedes, quoted in
Boswell's "Johnson".
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:01   #5 (permalink)
chris.cox@legend.net.uk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: BFG Trackedges

Thanks for the replies.

I had tubes fitted when the tyres where put on. I'm probably going to
put them on a set of 7J's but out of interest, what are the
implications of running these tyres on standard 5.5J rims ?

Also, should I keep the tubes when having these tyres fitted on the new
rims ?

Cheers,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:02   #6 (permalink)
Andy Sargeant
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: BFG Trackedges

Austin,
The std steel rim supplied from the factory is the same on 110 and 90 being
5.5x16, unless "Wolf" steel rims which are 6.5x16, which will take a 235
section tyre with ease, the 235/85x16 tyres supplied from the factory only
come out on 7x16 alloy wheel rims, it is NOT recommended to fit 235/85x16 on
the std 5.5x16 steel wheel rim.
Disco steels as you say are 7J and do look a little strange with 205's on
them, we do have a good selection of these Disco steels at present if anyone
is looking.
Regards
Andy Sargeant www.ajstyres.co.uk

--
Andy Sargeant
01737 241370
AJS 4x4, AJS Tyres
http:\\www.ajstyres.co.uk

"Austin Shackles" <austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote in message
news:0kikc11kvosm80qgdhnfh6hrbp539pjoo1@4ax.com...
> On or around Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:54:23 +0100, "Andy Sargeant"
> <andysnocrap@ajstyres.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:
>
>>The min rim width for this size tyre going by the BFGoodrich fitment
>>guide
>>is 6.5J, the 90 and 110 std rim width is 5.5J, in my experience 7J would
>>be
>>the best size for this tyre.

>
> 110s are wider than 90s, though. The 110 rims will take 235/85 tyres, and
> indeed are supplied as such by the factory, these days, I think.
>
> standard SWB/90 rims are a bit narrow though as you say. In fact, disco
> steel rims are 7J and 205 tyres look distinctly undersized on 'em.
>
>
> --
> Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
> "Quos deus vult perdere, prius dementat" Euripedes, quoted in
> Boswell's "Johnson".



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:02   #7 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: BFG Trackedges

On or around Wed, 6 Jul 2005 08:54:55 +0100, "Andy Sargeant"
<andysnocrap@ajstyres.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:

>Austin,
>The std steel rim supplied from the factory is the same on 110 and 90 being
>5.5x16, unless "Wolf" steel rims which are 6.5x16, which will take a 235
>section tyre with ease, the 235/85x16 tyres supplied from the factory only
>come out on 7x16 alloy wheel rims, it is NOT recommended to fit 235/85x16 on
>the std 5.5x16 steel wheel rim.


in the old days, SWB and LWB had different rims, and I'm fairly sure that
still applies to the 90/110. I had 235/85s on standard LWB steel rims and
they didn't look wrong - after all, the standard fitment is 7.50R16,
compared to 6.00 for SWB/90 - the latter were replaced with 205R16 which are
about 2" wider nominally, by the factory, on the same rims, AIUI (if not
that, then they were a legitimate fitment[1]). Thus I can't really see why
235s, which are nominally about 2" wider than 7.50, are a problem on LWB
ones.

>Disco steels as you say are 7J and do look a little strange with 205's on
>them, we do have a good selection of these Disco steels at present if anyone
>is looking.


out of interest: is there (and if not why not) a maximum rim size
recommended for any given tyre, as well as a minimum? Seems to me that
mounting a narrow tyre on a wide rim is just as likely to be dangerous as
mounting a wide one on a narrow rim.

[1] Since the writing of the main text of this manual, BL have issued a
great deal of information which relates to tyre makes and sizes...

BL state that any 88" wheelbase vehicle fitted with 5.50x16 rims can now be
equipped with the Range Rover 205R16 tyres...

--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"Quos deus vult perdere, prius dementat" Euripedes, quoted in
Boswell's "Johnson".
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:03   #8 (permalink)
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: BFG Trackedges

In message <jq6nc15furij78g5lppjq7ugrkianua7fn@4ax.com>
Austin Shackles <austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote:

> On or around Wed, 6 Jul 2005 08:54:55 +0100, "Andy Sargeant"
> <andysnocrap@ajstyres.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:
>
> >Austin,
> >The std steel rim supplied from the factory is the same on 110 and 90 being
> >5.5x16, unless "Wolf" steel rims which are 6.5x16, which will take a 235
> >section tyre with ease, the 235/85x16 tyres supplied from the factory only
> >come out on 7x16 alloy wheel rims, it is NOT recommended to fit 235/85x16 on
> >the std 5.5x16 steel wheel rim.

>
> in the old days, SWB and LWB had different rims, and I'm fairly sure that
> still applies to the 90/110. I had 235/85s on standard LWB steel rims and
> they didn't look wrong - after all, the standard fitment is 7.50R16,
> compared to 6.00 for SWB/90 - the latter were replaced with 205R16 which are
> about 2" wider nominally, by the factory, on the same rims, AIUI (if not
> that, then they were a legitimate fitment[1]). Thus I can't really see why
> 235s, which are nominally about 2" wider than 7.50, are a problem on LWB
> ones.
>


90/110 have always had the same (LWB) rim, right up to TA VIN no's.
90's were supplied with 205's as standard up till somewhere
before the 200Tdi came in. 6.50's were never fitted as far as I know.

> >Disco steels as you say are 7J and do look a little strange with 205's on
> >them, we do have a good selection of these Disco steels at present if anyone
> >is looking.

>
> out of interest: is there (and if not why not) a maximum rim size
> recommended for any given tyre, as well as a minimum? Seems to me that
> mounting a narrow tyre on a wide rim is just as likely to be dangerous as
> mounting a wide one on a narrow rim.
>
> [1] Since the writing of the main text of this manual, BL have issued a
> great deal of information which relates to tyre makes and sizes...
>
> BL state that any 88" wheelbase vehicle fitted with 5.50x16 rims can now be
> equipped with the Range Rover 205R16 tyres...
>


as are a great number - 6.50's have been difficult to get for a long
time, and I believe there is now only one supplier, making a copy
of the 60's style ones.

Richard

--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Helping keep Land Rovers on and off the road to annoy the Lib Dems
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 15:02   #9 (permalink)
Dougal
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: BFG Trackedges

Austin Shackles wrote:

> Out of interest: is there (and if not why not) a maximum rim size
> recommended for any given tyre, as well as a minimum?


The tyre manufacturers usually list a max/min range of advised rim
widths. In the book I've just viewed, Michelin list a preferred width
and also a 'permitted' range.

For the subject 245/75R16 that was originally mentioned (if I remember
correctly), BFG quote a width range of 6.5" to 7.5"

> Seems to me that
> mounting a narrow tyre on a wide rim is just as likely to be dangerous as
> mounting a wide one on a narrow rim.
>
> [1] Since the writing of the main text of this manual, BL have issued a
> great deal of information which relates to tyre makes and sizes...
>
> BL state that any 88" wheelbase vehicle fitted with 5.50x16 rims can now be
> equipped with the Range Rover 205R16 tyres...


The use of 205R16s on a 4.50-16 rim is a horrible combination. It
wobbles all over the place.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 15:02   #10 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: BFG Trackedges

On or around Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:54:10 +0100, Dougal
<DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:

>The use of 205R16s on a 4.50-16 rim is a horrible combination. It
>wobbles all over the place.


yebbut, we were talking about 5.5x16.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"Quos deus vult perdere, prius dementat" Euripedes, quoted in
Boswell's "Johnson".
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:16.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.