On Broken Into Cars - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2005, 11:01   #1 (permalink)
Paul S. Brown
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
On Broken Into Cars

Apparently last night was a doozy - at 4pm today neither Autoglass nor
Auto Windscreens were booking any more appointments for today and half
of tomorrow had gone - apparently the toerags were using the cover of
loud banging sounds to cover them breaking into cars.

Cost for a replacement door window from Auto Windscreens - £285 and
pennies. Autoglass don't have any available.

No - my insurance policy doesn't appear to have glass cover, but because
the policy document has my name and the car reg on it and doesn't even
state fully comp or TPFT, I have no idea whether this is the case.

Anybody know how difficult a butchered steering lock is to replace? The
little bastards sawed the wires off the back of it and destroyed the
cowling.

In an unusual fit of efficiency I've got a SOCO coming out tomorrow to
dust everything for prints. I expect this to make the car dirty and to
prove that nobody other than me has been near it, but hey!.

P.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-06-2005, 12:02   #2 (permalink)
Nige
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: On Broken Into Cars

Paul S. Brown wrote:
> Apparently last night was a doozy - at 4pm today neither Autoglass nor
> Auto Windscreens were booking any more appointments for today and half
> of tomorrow had gone - apparently the toerags were using the cover of
> loud banging sounds to cover them breaking into cars.
>
> Cost for a replacement door window from Auto Windscreens - 285 and
> pennies. Autoglass don't have any available.
>
> No - my insurance policy doesn't appear to have glass cover, but
> because the policy document has my name and the car reg on it and
> doesn't even state fully comp or TPFT, I have no idea whether this is
> the case.
>
> Anybody know how difficult a butchered steering lock is to replace?
> The little bastards sawed the wires off the back of it and destroyed
> the cowling.
>
> In an unusual fit of efficiency I've got a SOCO coming out tomorrow to
> dust everything for prints. I expect this to make the car dirty and to
> prove that nobody other than me has been near it, but hey!.
>
> P.


**** me sideways with a French rioters brick, that is a lot of money for a window! Is it for the Disco?
Crikey, you could get one from a scrappers for a tenner i bet.

--
Subaru WRX
Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 13:01   #3 (permalink)
Steve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: On Broken Into Cars

Nige wrote:
> Paul S. Brown wrote:
>> Apparently last night was a doozy - at 4pm today neither Autoglass nor
>> Auto Windscreens were booking any more appointments for today and half
>> of tomorrow had gone - apparently the toerags were using the cover of
>> loud banging sounds to cover them breaking into cars.
>>
>> Cost for a replacement door window from Auto Windscreens - 285 and
>> pennies. Autoglass don't have any available.
>>
>> No - my insurance policy doesn't appear to have glass cover, but
>> because the policy document has my name and the car reg on it and
>> doesn't even state fully comp or TPFT, I have no idea whether this is
>> the case.
>>
>> Anybody know how difficult a butchered steering lock is to replace?
>> The little bastards sawed the wires off the back of it and destroyed
>> the cowling.
>>
>> In an unusual fit of efficiency I've got a SOCO coming out tomorrow to
>> dust everything for prints. I expect this to make the car dirty and to
>> prove that nobody other than me has been near it, but hey!.
>>
>> P.

>
> **** me sideways with a French rioters brick, that is a lot of money for a window! Is it for the Disco?
> Crikey, you could get one from a scrappers for a tenner i bet.


If its a Disco I, all the glass on the Corpse is still intact. Which do
you want ?

Steve
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 13:01   #4 (permalink)
Tim Hobbs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: On Broken Into Cars

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:57:05 +0000, "Paul S. Brown"
<usenet060103@geekstuff.tv> wrote:

>Apparently last night was a doozy - at 4pm today neither Autoglass nor
>Auto Windscreens were booking any more appointments for today and half
>of tomorrow had gone - apparently the toerags were using the cover of
>loud banging sounds to cover them breaking into cars.
>
>Cost for a replacement door window from Auto Windscreens - 285 and
>pennies. Autoglass don't have any available.
>
>No - my insurance policy doesn't appear to have glass cover, but because
>the policy document has my name and the car reg on it and doesn't even
>state fully comp or TPFT, I have no idea whether this is the case.
>
>Anybody know how difficult a butchered steering lock is to replace? The
>little bastards sawed the wires off the back of it and destroyed the
>cowling.
>
>In an unusual fit of efficiency I've got a SOCO coming out tomorrow to
>dust everything for prints. I expect this to make the car dirty and to
>prove that nobody other than me has been near it, but hey!.
>
>P.


The 'wirey bit' just plugs onto the back of the steering lock - 2 or 3
little grub screws hold it on. There's some "one shot" bolts to hold
the actual lock on - a chisel job to get them off, but with a bit of
careful work with the chisel you can get them back on if you really
need to.

I guess you'll need to get the 'wirey bit' and work out whether it's
easier to replace the whole thing or just splice what's left of the
wires you have.

From memory, the lock is about 100 genuine and another 30-40 if you
want to match the existing key. Sounds like you don't actually need
it though.


--

Tim Hobbs

'58 Series 2 88" aka "Stig"
'03 Volvo V70
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 14:01   #5 (permalink)
Ian Rawlings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: On Broken Into Cars

On 2005-11-06, Paul S. Brown <usenet060103@geekstuff.tv> wrote:

> Apparently last night was a doozy - at 4pm today neither Autoglass nor
> Auto Windscreens were booking any more appointments for today and half
> of tomorrow had gone - apparently the toerags were using the cover of
> loud banging sounds to cover them breaking into cars.


Please, next time you use the word "toe-rags" in public, could you
hyphenate it? I spent a good minute or so wondering about thieves on
camels wandering around your area. Very perplexing. I know it's
spelt with a "u" but...

> Cost for a replacement door window from Auto Windscreens - 285 and
> pennies. Autoglass don't have any available.


Jesus H, is that with gold filament heating element and busty blonde
demister?

How about just breaking into someone else's car and knicking their
windows? Take a camel and throw the police off the scent.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 15:01   #6 (permalink)
Nige
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: On Broken Into Cars

Touareg

"Ian Rawlings" <news05@tarcus.org.uk> wrote in message
news:slrndmsm10.dni.news05@gate-int.tarcus.org.uk...
> On 2005-11-06, Paul S. Brown <usenet060103@geekstuff.tv> wrote:
>
>> Apparently last night was a doozy - at 4pm today neither Autoglass nor
>> Auto Windscreens were booking any more appointments for today and half
>> of tomorrow had gone - apparently the toerags were using the cover of
>> loud banging sounds to cover them breaking into cars.

>
> Please, next time you use the word "toe-rags" in public, could you
> hyphenate it? I spent a good minute or so wondering about thieves on
> camels wandering around your area. Very perplexing. I know it's
> spelt with a "u" but...
>
>> Cost for a replacement door window from Auto Windscreens - 285 and
>> pennies. Autoglass don't have any available.

>
> Jesus H, is that with gold filament heating element and busty blonde
> demister?
>
> How about just breaking into someone else's car and knicking their
> windows? Take a camel and throw the police off the scent.
>
> --
> For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 18:01   #7 (permalink)
Ian Rawlings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: On Broken Into Cars

On 2005-11-06, Nige <nigel.inceEATMYSHORTS@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Touareg


Possibly, or Tuareg, there seems to be a few different spellings of
it, they're Moroccan/Saharan/African etc and websites from the area
spell it either way it seems. I couldn't be bothered to try to
investigate further given that I was only mucking about anyway!

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:01   #8 (permalink)
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: On Broken Into Cars

In message <qumsm1d7qp26hs6i0fq66k90ru5sc3n3nc@4ax.com>
Tim Hobbs <tim@spam.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:57:05 +0000, "Paul S. Brown"
> <usenet060103@geekstuff.tv> wrote:
>
> >Apparently last night was a doozy - at 4pm today neither Autoglass nor
> >Auto Windscreens were booking any more appointments for today and half
> >of tomorrow had gone - apparently the toerags were using the cover of
> >loud banging sounds to cover them breaking into cars.
> >
> >Cost for a replacement door window from Auto Windscreens - 285 and
> >pennies. Autoglass don't have any available.
> >
> >No - my insurance policy doesn't appear to have glass cover, but because
> >the policy document has my name and the car reg on it and doesn't even
> >state fully comp or TPFT, I have no idea whether this is the case.
> >
> >Anybody know how difficult a butchered steering lock is to replace? The
> >little bastards sawed the wires off the back of it and destroyed the
> >cowling.
> >
> >In an unusual fit of efficiency I've got a SOCO coming out tomorrow to
> >dust everything for prints. I expect this to make the car dirty and to
> >prove that nobody other than me has been near it, but hey!.
> >
> >P.

>
> The 'wirey bit' just plugs onto the back of the steering lock - 2 or 3
> little grub screws hold it on. There's some "one shot" bolts to hold
> the actual lock on - a chisel job to get them off, but with a bit of
> careful work with the chisel you can get them back on if you really
> need to.
>
> I guess you'll need to get the 'wirey bit' and work out whether it's
> easier to replace the whole thing or just splice what's left of the
> wires you have.
>
> From memory, the lock is about 100 genuine and another 30-40 if you
> want to match the existing key. Sounds like you don't actually need
> it though.
>
>


(Assuming 200tdi Discovery I)

STC981 Steering Column Lock - Complete - Discovery I 200Tdi 52.87 inc VAT

or

PRC3408 Ignition Switch - Discovery I 200Tdi 38.07 inc VAT

I've not tried it on a Discovery, but on a Defender it is possible
to change the Ignition Switch without removing the lock using a
small Allen key to remove and replace the three tiny screws.

Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Boycott the Yorkshire Dales - No Play, No Pay
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:01   #9 (permalink)
Tim Hobbs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: On Broken Into Cars


>
>(Assuming 200tdi Discovery I)
>
>STC981 Steering Column Lock - Complete - Discovery I 200Tdi 52.87 inc VAT
>
>or
>
>PRC3408 Ignition Switch - Discovery I 200Tdi 38.07 inc VAT
>
>I've not tried it on a Discovery, but on a Defender it is possible
>to change the Ignition Switch without removing the lock using a
>small Allen key to remove and replace the three tiny screws.
>
>Richard


Mine was a 300, which may be more expensive. My prices were also from
a main dealer, which I'm sure didn't help much!

From memory I'm sure you could fit the ignition switch with the lock
in-situ, but the tamper bolts are cheap enough for it not to be worth
the hassle if it isn't dead easy.

--

Tim Hobbs

'58 Series 2 88" aka "Stig"
'03 Volvo V70
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:01   #10 (permalink)
Paul S. Brown
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: On Broken Into Cars

Tim Hobbs wrote:

>
>>
>>(Assuming 200tdi Discovery I)
>>
>>STC981 Steering Column Lock - Complete - Discovery I 200Tdi £52.87 inc
>>VAT
>>
>>or
>>
>>PRC3408 Ignition Switch - Discovery I 200Tdi £38.07 inc VAT
>>
>>I've not tried it on a Discovery, but on a Defender it is possible
>>to change the Ignition Switch without removing the lock using a
>>small Allen key to remove and replace the three tiny screws.
>>
>>Richard

>
> Mine was a 300, which may be more expensive. My prices were also from
> a main dealer, which I'm sure didn't help much!
>
> From memory I'm sure you could fit the ignition switch with the lock
> in-situ, but the tamper bolts are cheap enough for it not to be worth
> the hassle if it isn't dead easy.
>


I've just had a look at it - the switch housing has been completely
butchered.

For reference, the electrical wiring on a 200 doesn't use a modular plug
- it's attached to the switch.

I think I'm going to do something "creative" with the starter on this
thing and see if I can cause problems for anybody else who tries to
nick it. One thought is having the starter rigged as a reed switch
behind one of the dash panels - any other thoughts?

I'm also planning on getting a painfully loud alarm and mounting the
sounder about where the drivers left knee is (I think there's enough
room inside the dash). That should stop any little bastard hanging
around long enough to do anything major to the car.

P.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:42.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.