Buick Aluminum V-8 Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2005, 10:01   #1 (permalink)
slakka
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Buick Aluminum V-8 Question

Dear Newsgroup,
I wonder when the Aluminum V-8 that had its origins with Buick many
years ago last saw the light of day in a production vehicle? Anybody
know?


Thanks in advance!
ed

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-29-2005, 12:02   #2 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buick Aluminum V-8 Question

Quote,
"Designed in the late 1950s, the all-aluminum 215 cubic inch (3.5-litre)
engine was originally used in various Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Buick lines
(Tempest, F85, Special) starting in 1961."

Richard


"slakka" <iggy07450@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1112116152.363951.118130@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Dear Newsgroup,
> I wonder when the Aluminum V-8 that had its origins with Buick many
> years ago last saw the light of day in a production vehicle? Anybody
> know?
>
>
> Thanks in advance!
> ed
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:02   #3 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buick Aluminum V-8 Question

Subsequently, GM returned to iron-block motors and sold the 215 V8 to
England's Rover. There it found a home in the 1968 Rover 3500 (P6), a
derivative of the innovative Rover 2000, both of which were exported to
Canada.

Additionally, the engine was used in the Morgan Plus 8, the Triumph TR8, the
Rover SD-1, the MGB-GT V8, TVR, Land Rover Discovery and the Range Rover,
where it soldiered on in 3.9, 4.0, 4.2 and 4.6-litre versions.

The engine formed the basis for Jack Brabham's Formula 1 world championship
Brabham Repco V8 in 1966.

"slakka" <iggy07450@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1112116152.363951.118130@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Dear Newsgroup,
> I wonder when the Aluminum V-8 that had its origins with Buick many
> years ago last saw the light of day in a production vehicle? Anybody
> know?
>
>
> Thanks in advance!
> ed
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:02   #4 (permalink)
Pantelis Giamarellos
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buick Aluminum V-8 Question

Also used by MarCos vehicles (they also used the 2.0 4 cylinder in normaly
aspirated or turbocharged versions)

Rumour has it though that the Americans had "borrowed" the blueprints and
knowhow of this aluminum made engine from the Germans when they "visited"
BMW's factory.

Take care
Pantelis

"Richard" <NO.SPAM@AT.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
news:jAg2e.22155$IH3.13847@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Subsequently, GM returned to iron-block motors and sold the 215 V8 to
> England's Rover. There it found a home in the 1968 Rover 3500 (P6), a
> derivative of the innovative Rover 2000, both of which were exported to
> Canada.
>
> Additionally, the engine was used in the Morgan Plus 8, the Triumph TR8,

the
> Rover SD-1, the MGB-GT V8, TVR, Land Rover Discovery and the Range Rover,
> where it soldiered on in 3.9, 4.0, 4.2 and 4.6-litre versions.
>
> The engine formed the basis for Jack Brabham's Formula 1 world

championship
> Brabham Repco V8 in 1966.
>
> "slakka" <iggy07450@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1112116152.363951.118130@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > Dear Newsgroup,
> > I wonder when the Aluminum V-8 that had its origins with Buick many
> > years ago last saw the light of day in a production vehicle? Anybody
> > know?
> >
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> > ed
> >

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:02   #5 (permalink)
slakka
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buick Aluminum V-8 Question

Thanks again, but when did this engine last appear in a production
vehicle?

ed

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:02   #6 (permalink)
Charlie Choc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buick Aluminum V-8 Question

On 29 Mar 2005 11:21:23 -0800, "slakka" <iggy07450@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks again, but when did this engine last appear in a production
>vehicle?
>

I think it was still used in the 2004 Discos in the US.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com/ - photo galleries
http://www.chocphoto.com/roff
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 14:02   #7 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buick Aluminum V-8 Question

On or around 29 Mar 2005 11:21:23 -0800, "slakka" <iggy07450@hotmail.com>
enlightened us thusly:

>Thanks again, but when did this engine last appear in a production
>vehicle?


Not sure, but they only stopped making 'em quite recently. The whole V8
assmebly line was up for sale, anyone know what happened about that?

--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
Travel The Galaxy! Meet Fascinating Life Forms...
------------------------------------------------\
>> http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ << \ ...and Kill them.

a webcartoon by Howard Tayler; I like it, maybe you will too!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 14:02   #8 (permalink)
sylva@despammed.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buick Aluminum V-8 Question

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:26:54 +0100, Austin Shackles
<austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote:

>On or around 29 Mar 2005 11:21:23 -0800, "slakka" <iggy07450@hotmail.com>
>enlightened us thusly:
>
>>Thanks again, but when did this engine last appear in a production
>>vehicle?

>
>Not sure, but they only stopped making 'em quite recently. The whole V8
>assmebly line was up for sale, anyone know what happened about that?


Weren't TVR the last producers?

AJH

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 14:02   #9 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buick Aluminum V-8 Question

yep it was. 4.6l


"Charlie Choc" <charlie.choc@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:i4bj41ttnnpr2seov2bsb7dhtup1k8el0f@4ax.com...
> On 29 Mar 2005 11:21:23 -0800, "slakka" <iggy07450@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks again, but when did this engine last appear in a production
>>vehicle?
>>

> I think it was still used in the 2004 Discos in the US.
> --
> Charlie...
> http://www.chocphoto.com/ - photo galleries
> http://www.chocphoto.com/roff



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 14:02   #10 (permalink)
Tim Hobbs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buick Aluminum V-8 Question

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:42:03 +0100, sylva@despammed.com wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:26:54 +0100, Austin Shackles
><austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote:
>
>>On or around 29 Mar 2005 11:21:23 -0800, "slakka" <iggy07450@hotmail.com>
>>enlightened us thusly:
>>
>>>Thanks again, but when did this engine last appear in a production
>>>vehicle?

>>
>>Not sure, but they only stopped making 'em quite recently. The whole V8
>>assmebly line was up for sale, anyone know what happened about that?

>
>Weren't TVR the last producers?
>
>AJH


Nope, Peter Wheeler dropped them as soon as BMW bought Rover. Their
engines are now home grown.


--

Tim Hobbs

'58 Series 2 88" aka "Stig"
'77 101FC Ambulance aka "Burrt"
'03 Volvo V70

My Landies? http://www.seriesii.co.uk
Barcoding? http://www.bartec-systems.com
Tony Luckwill web archive at http://www.luckwill.com
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:36.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.