A cautionary tale! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2005, 17:01   #1 (permalink)
Alex
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
A cautionary tale!

Here's why you DON'T use an angle grinder near a charging battery...

http://www.cbmsys.co.uk/photo/dsc00031_small.jpg

Alex
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-13-2005, 18:01   #2 (permalink)
Nikki
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A cautionary tale!

in article orrtk1l9dsn4ehkhg7tl5h4g6unbasdf1l@4ax.com, Alex at
nospam.alex@cbmsys.co.uk wrote on 14/10/05 12:35 am:

> Here's why you DON'T use an angle grinder near a charging battery...
>
> http://www.cbmsys.co.uk/photo/dsc00031_small.jpg
>
> Alex



I hope no-one was hurt.


--
Nikki

2000 Discovery V8
1990 Discovery V8
1979 Lightweight 2.25 petrol
1976 Series lll 2.25 petrol - in need of repair

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 23:01   #3 (permalink)
EMB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A cautionary tale!

Alex wrote:
> Here's why you DON'T use an angle grinder near a charging battery...
>
> http://www.cbmsys.co.uk/photo/dsc00031_small.jpg
>


What's really scary is when they develop a high-resitance connection
that gets hot internally and do that on their own without an external
ignition source. I've seen the results of one doing that underbonnet in
an old Cortina and also had one self-destruct in the workshop whilst on
charge overnight.

Ayway, I hope nobody was hurt and that there isn't too much acid to
clean up.


--
EMB
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:01   #4 (permalink)
Alex
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: A cautionary tale!

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:07:11 GMT, Nikki <nikki.cluley@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>in article orrtk1l9dsn4ehkhg7tl5h4g6unbasdf1l@4ax.com, Alex at
>nospam.alex@cbmsys.co.uk wrote on 14/10/05 12:35 am:
>
>> Here's why you DON'T use an angle grinder near a charging battery...
>>
>> http://www.cbmsys.co.uk/photo/dsc00031_small.jpg
>>
>> Alex

>
>
>I hope no-one was hurt.


Fortunatly no-one was hurt, although i did get splashed by acid. Given
me some little red blotches on my forearms from very mild acid burns.
Took about 2 hours and a large bottle of caustic soda to clean that
lot up.

Alex
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 13:01   #5 (permalink)
Nigel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: A cautionary tale!

Alex wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:07:11 GMT, Nikki <nikki.cluley@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
>> in article orrtk1l9dsn4ehkhg7tl5h4g6unbasdf1l@4ax.com, Alex at
>> nospam.alex@cbmsys.co.uk wrote on 14/10/05 12:35 am:
>>
>>> Here's why you DON'T use an angle grinder near a charging battery...
>>>
>>> http://www.cbmsys.co.uk/photo/dsc00031_small.jpg
>>>
>>> Alex

>>
>>
>> I hope no-one was hurt.

>
> Fortunatly no-one was hurt, although i did get splashed by acid. Given
> me some little red blotches on my forearms from very mild acid burns.
> Took about 2 hours and a large bottle of caustic soda to clean that
> lot up.
>
> Alex


I would also suggest you don't wear a fleece whilst using an angle grinder.
I set myself on fire doing just that. It was my garage fleece and was
covered in oil and grease, burns nice. Was a zip up the front one so came
off very quick. Was nice and warm though, would have been good on a cold
day.

Nigel
--
nigel@leginDOTorg
1979 Lightweight


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 14:01   #6 (permalink)
TonyB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: A cautionary tale!

> I would also suggest you don't wear a fleece whilst using an angle
grinder.
> I set myself on fire doing just that.


Aye. I set my padded shirt on fire the same way. I managed to pat it out
with a gloved hand.
Wife has referred to it as my smoking jacket ever since.
TonyB


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 15:01   #7 (permalink)
Hirsty's
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: A cautionary tale!


"TonyB" <Norfolk@soxclara.co.uk> wrote in message
news:dip43q$k03$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> > I would also suggest you don't wear a fleece whilst using an angle

> grinder.
> > I set myself on fire doing just that.

>
> Aye. I set my padded shirt on fire the same way. I managed to pat it out
> with a gloved hand.
> Wife has referred to it as my smoking jacket ever since.
> TonyB
>
>


I remember in the 80's having a girl in my science class with a big afro
full of coconut oil leaning over a bunsen burner; when I looked up all I
could see was a stream of thick white fumes coming off her head. Certainly
taught me a lesson, years later we had a warning to take care with kids and
hair gel which has the same effect.


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 15:01   #8 (permalink)
Nikki
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A cautionary tale!

in article hmtvk11439mkrqa5gln0vg3og62u3qhbcv@4ax.com, Alex at
nospam.alex@cbmsys.co.uk wrote on 14/10/05 7:19 pm:

> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:07:11 GMT, Nikki <nikki.cluley@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
>> in article orrtk1l9dsn4ehkhg7tl5h4g6unbasdf1l@4ax.com, Alex at
>> nospam.alex@cbmsys.co.uk wrote on 14/10/05 12:35 am:
>>
>>> Here's why you DON'T use an angle grinder near a charging battery...
>>>
>>> http://www.cbmsys.co.uk/photo/dsc00031_small.jpg
>>>
>>> Alex

>>
>>
>> I hope no-one was hurt.

>
> Fortunatly no-one was hurt, although i did get splashed by acid. Given
> me some little red blotches on my forearms from very mild acid burns.
> Took about 2 hours and a large bottle of caustic soda to clean that
> lot up.
>
> Alex



Caustic Soda is pretty nasty stuff too. Bruce uses it to dip and strip
doors and furniture. He keeps an old squeezy bottle with white vinegar in
for any occassional splashes that get past protective clothing.
--
Nikki

2000 Discovery V8
1990 Discovery V8
1979 Lightweight 2.25 petrol
1976 Series lll 2.25 petrol - in need of repair

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 16:01   #9 (permalink)
Derek
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A cautionary tale!


"Nikki" <nikki.cluley@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:BF75E51F.3C96%nikki.cluley@ntlworld.com...
> in article hmtvk11439mkrqa5gln0vg3og62u3qhbcv@4ax.com, Alex at
> nospam.alex@cbmsys.co.uk wrote on 14/10/05 7:19 pm:
>
> > On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:07:11 GMT, Nikki <nikki.cluley@ntlworld.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> in article orrtk1l9dsn4ehkhg7tl5h4g6unbasdf1l@4ax.com, Alex at
> >> nospam.alex@cbmsys.co.uk wrote on 14/10/05 12:35 am:
> >>
> >>> Here's why you DON'T use an angle grinder near a charging battery...
> >>>
> >>> http://www.cbmsys.co.uk/photo/dsc00031_small.jpg
> >>>
> >>> Alex
> >>
> >>
> >> I hope no-one was hurt.

> >
> > Fortunatly no-one was hurt, although i did get splashed by acid. Given
> > me some little red blotches on my forearms from very mild acid burns.
> > Took about 2 hours and a large bottle of caustic soda to clean that
> > lot up.
> >
> > Alex

>
>
> Caustic Soda is pretty nasty stuff too. Bruce uses it to dip and strip
> doors and furniture. He keeps an old squeezy bottle with white vinegar in
> for any occassional splashes that get past protective clothing.
> --
> Nikki
>
> 2000 Discovery V8
> 1990 Discovery V8
> 1979 Lightweight 2.25 petrol
> 1976 Series lll 2.25 petrol - in need of repair


you are right there Nicky and mixing the two creates heat as well
Bicarbonate of Soda( Sodium Hyrogen Carbonate solution) is better to
neutralise battery acid as it doesnt react as violently or attack the skin
or metal afterwards but the best advice is plenty of water to dilute and
remove clothing which has become contaminated
Derek


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 16:01   #10 (permalink)
Alex
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: Re: A cautionary tale!

>>>
>>>> Here's why you DON'T use an angle grinder near a charging battery...
>>>>
>>>> http://www.cbmsys.co.uk/photo/dsc00031_small.jpg
>>>>


>>> I hope no-one was hurt.

>>
>> Fortunatly no-one was hurt, although i did get splashed by acid. Given
>> me some little red blotches on my forearms from very mild acid burns.
>> Took about 2 hours and a large bottle of caustic soda to clean that
>> lot up.
>>
>> Alex

>
>I would also suggest you don't wear a fleece whilst using an angle grinder.
>I set myself on fire doing just that. It was my garage fleece and was
>covered in oil and grease, burns nice. Was a zip up the front one so came
>off very quick. Was nice and warm though, would have been good on a cold
>day.
>


Yes, i've had fleeces smouldering before whilst using an angle
grinder. Oxy-acetelene welding is also not a good idea in a
fleece.....

Alex
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:18.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.