Cracked It! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2005, 10:02   #1 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cracked It!



Well, I managed to get the screen out with no trouble. The
seal was so perished it just fell apart so a gentle push
from inside and the screen was in the hands of number two
son.

Much cursing and muttering later the new seal was round the
old screen and a piece of bailing twine inserted in the
other side - we were ready for the next bit.

Offered the screen to the hole and with a nudge it settled
back enough to get the seal over the lip so that the twine
could be pulled. We aborted this attempt as the screen was
too much of centre. However, our confidence had grown as we
could see how it all worked.

Offered up a second time (much better) and pulled and
pulled. The screen settled back nicely. Smugly we tugged the
twine for the last couple of inches. Yep, Autoglass come
tomorrow with a nice new tinted screen.

Well at least we tried!

Regards,

Richard


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-11-2005, 10:02   #2 (permalink)
Manley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cracked It!

That's harsh, Generally it'll just pop in.

You insured? My back window (not on Landy) cost me 100 insetad of 188
because my insurers covered it without effecting my claims.


"Richard" <richard.bush@talk21.com> wrote in message
news:dau3el$3a1$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>
>
> Well, I managed to get the screen out with no trouble. The seal was so
> perished it just fell apart so a gentle push from inside and the screen
> was in the hands of number two son.
>
> Much cursing and muttering later the new seal was round the old screen and
> a piece of bailing twine inserted in the other side - we were ready for
> the next bit.
>
> Offered the screen to the hole and with a nudge it settled back enough to
> get the seal over the lip so that the twine could be pulled. We aborted
> this attempt as the screen was too much of centre. However, our confidence
> had grown as we could see how it all worked.
>
> Offered up a second time (much better) and pulled and pulled. The screen
> settled back nicely. Smugly we tugged the twine for the last couple of
> inches. Yep, Autoglass come tomorrow with a nice new tinted screen.
>
> Well at least we tried!
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:02   #3 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cracked It!


"Manley" <news@lordmanley.co.uk> wrote in message
news:kOWdnRQ0SO_OCE_fRVnytA@eclipse.net.uk...
> That's harsh, Generally it'll just pop in.
>
> You insured? My back window (not on Landy) cost me 100
> insetad of 188 because my insurers covered it without
> effecting my claims.
>


The screen is covered by my insurance with a 60 excess. No
issues as it does not impact on my no claims discount.

Regards,

Richard



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:02   #4 (permalink)
jOn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cracked It!


"Richard" <richard.bush@talk21.com> wrote in message
news:dau3el$3a1$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>
>
> Well, I managed to get the screen out with no trouble. The
> seal was so perished it just fell apart so a gentle push
> from inside and the screen was in the hands of number two
> son.
>
> Much cursing and muttering later the new seal was round the
> old screen and a piece of bailing twine inserted in the
> other side - we were ready for the next bit.
>
> Offered the screen to the hole and with a nudge it settled
> back enough to get the seal over the lip so that the twine
> could be pulled. We aborted this attempt as the screen was
> too much of centre. However, our confidence had grown as we
> could see how it all worked.
>
> Offered up a second time (much better) and pulled and
> pulled. The screen settled back nicely. Smugly we tugged the
> twine for the last couple of inches. Yep, Autoglass come
> tomorrow with a nice new tinted screen.


Though those heated screens are tempting :)



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 13:02   #5 (permalink)
Ian Rawlings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cracked It!

On 2005-07-11, Richard <richard.bush@talk21.com> wrote:

> The screen is covered by my insurance with a 60 excess. No
> issues as it does not impact on my no claims discount.


Hehe, I got a second-hand front windscreen for my Defender from Keith
Gott who fitted it for free, compared to the 2,000 quid it costs for a
new screen without fitting for the plastic rocket I think that's
pretty good going!

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 18:02   #6 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cracked It!


"Ian Rawlings" <news05@tarcus.org.uk> wrote in message
news:slrndd5g42.ega.news05@gate-int.tarcus.org.uk...
> On 2005-07-11, Richard <richard.bush@talk21.com> wrote:
>
>> The screen is covered by my insurance with a 60 excess.
>> No
>> issues as it does not impact on my no claims discount.

>
> Hehe, I got a second-hand front windscreen for my Defender
> from Keith
> Gott who fitted it for free, compared to the 2,000 quid it
> costs for a
> new screen without fitting for the plastic rocket I think
> that's
> pretty good going!
>
> --
> For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert


Never considered going second hand! The screen I broke was
only about 6 months old. That's when it started leaking and
I couldn't get the previous company to sort it out under
warranty......

Richard


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:01   #7 (permalink)
Ian Rawlings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cracked It!

On 2005-07-11, Richard <richard.bush@talk21.com> wrote:

> Never considered going second hand!


I forgot to mention the price of the second-hand screen; 50 quid.
Less than most insurance excesses.

> The screen I broke was only about 6 months old.


I broke mine by getting over-zealous when attaching a sucker-mount GPS
unit to the windscreen.. Ooops!

> That's when it started leaking and I couldn't get the previous
> company to sort it out under warranty......


Were you outside of the warranty period or were they just playing dirty?

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:02   #8 (permalink)
willie@macleod-group.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cracked It!

Richard wrote:

> Offered up a second time (much better) and pulled and
> pulled. The screen settled back nicely. Smugly we tugged the
> twine for the last couple of inches.


:-(

> Yep, Autoglass come tomorrow with a nice new tinted screen.


Can you watch him closely and get him to reveal his secrets, then
report back to the group?!


> Well at least we tried!


That's the spirit!

Regards

William MacLeod

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 13:02   #9 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cracked It!


"Ian Rawlings" <news05@tarcus.org.uk> wrote in message
news:slrndd6rm1.ega.news05@gate-int.tarcus.org.uk...
> On 2005-07-11, Richard <richard.bush@talk21.com> wrote:
>
>> Never considered going second hand!

>
> I forgot to mention the price of the second-hand screen;
> 50 quid.
> Less than most insurance excesses.
>
>> The screen I broke was only about 6 months old.

>
> I broke mine by getting over-zealous when attaching a
> sucker-mount GPS
> unit to the windscreen.. Ooops!
>
>> That's when it started leaking and I couldn't get the
>> previous
>> company to sort it out under warranty......

>
> Were you outside of the warranty period or were they just
> playing dirty?
>
> --
> For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert


Inside the warranty. A small company that got very deaf when
I called to get them back.

Job done now though. Autoglass chap completed the job in
about 20 minutes to a really high standard. He used LOTS of
lubricant.

Richard


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 13:02   #10 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cracked It!


<willie@macleod-group.com> wrote in message
news:1121158715.473055.211010@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Richard wrote:
>
>> Offered up a second time (much better) and pulled and
>> pulled. The screen settled back nicely. Smugly we tugged
>> the
>> twine for the last couple of inches.

>
> :-(
>
>> Yep, Autoglass come tomorrow with a nice new tinted
>> screen.

>
> Can you watch him closely and get him to reveal his
> secrets, then
> report back to the group?!
>
>
>> Well at least we tried!

>
> That's the spirit!
>
> Regards
>
> William MacLeod
>


William,

I watched the whole process from removal to clean up. He
made it look so easy! I think the key point that I learned
is that he used a lot of lubricant around the seal before
offering up to the Land Rover. Just slipped in without any
problem.

He used the process that you described in an earlier thread.
The piece of rope about the size you would use for a washing
line was pushed into the seal which was then lubricated. He
then started pulling from the bottom centre outwards taking
care to keep things even. Round the two bottom corners, up
the sides, into the top corners ending up in the middle top.
Less than a minute I'd say!

I'd certainly try again having watched closely how it was
done. LOTS & LOTS of lubricant......

I hope now that my feet will stay dry and passenger
complaints subside.

Now to find the leak in the roof - been looking for two
years......

Kind regards,

Richard


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:00.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.