Defenders in NA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2002, 12:33   #1 (permalink)
norman paperma

Defenders in NA

Anyone heard anything about when the Defenders will be arriving in North America?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2002, 17:05   #2 (permalink)
Budgie

Hi Norman, welcome aboard.

I'm not sure about the question. Are you asking about a new Defender?
The Defender, and the earlier 90/110 form, has been available through Landrover in North America for a number of years now, mostly with the V8 engine but there are some TDi's and TD5's creaping in over there now I beleave.

I hope this answers your question, if not then feel free to ask away and we'll try our best to find the answer.
Old 07-04-2002, 20:25   #3 (permalink)
norman paperma

I am quite versted in what is avaiable as per used Defenders. I guess what I was enquiring about is when will new Defenders be available through their dealership network?

While the subject is up, how are these guys getting the brand new Defenders past the 25 yr import clause? Any suggestions?
Old 07-05-2002, 15:55   #4 (permalink)
Budgie

confused

I wasn't aware that the Defender isn't available through the LR dealerships over there. It used to be cos LR produced a North American Spec (NAS) Defender 90 with soft top, 4.0 or 3.9 V8 engine, auto box and roll cage.

I had a look on the LRNA site and , like you say, there is no Defender listed.

I have the number of LR customer service here in the UK so I'll give them a call and see what they had to say.

What do the dealerships say when you ask for info on the Defender over there?
Old 07-06-2002, 04:12   #5 (permalink)
Budgie

Okay, I spoke to Landrover Customer Service in the UK this morning and asked about the Defender being available in NA.

All they could tell me was that they normally get 6 months notice of a model going on sale and they have had no notification of the Defender being available in NA within the next 6 months.

They did confirm that it was on sale there in the mid-90's but couldn't tell me why it had been withdrawn.

All I can suggest for now is to speak to your local Landrover dealsership and ask about placing a special order for one, I've no idea if this will increase the price or not, failing that can you import from Brazil as I believe Defenders are assembled there from kits sent from the UK.

Good luck and I'm sorry I cant be of more help.

Martin.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:30   #6 (permalink)

Land Rover is launching the Defender in Japan next spring with the aim of undercutting the gray import market.

"Gray imports of the Defender have been selling for 5 million yen (E45,500)," said Land Rover Japan spokesman Christopher Ellis. "We will launch the Defender in Japan at prices significantly below that."

Ellis said it had taken Land Rover a long time to get the Defender homologated for Japan.

"The Defender is only available with a diesel engine and with manual transmission. A lot of work was required to meet Japanese emissions standards," said Ellis.

To begin with, Land Rover plans to sell around 400 Defenders a year in Japan. "These are small numbers but we expect the halo effect to be significant," said Ellis.

With so much time spent prepping Defender for Japan and for such low sales numbers, it is conceivable that Defender may make a final appearance in North America before the replacement in 2005.

* With a full range of Freelander, Discovery, Range Rover and Defender models, Land Rover is targeting sales of around 3,500 a year in Japan. Last year, just over 1,000 units were sold.

hope this helps
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 06:49   #7 (permalink)
norman paperma

Defenders in NA

The reason Defenders were pulled out of Na was safety and emissions. The big giant heads demand that front airbags be equiped in every NA vehicle and certain emission standards met.
In particular, Land Rover decided against the airbags for political reasons and the fact the whole front bulkhead and dash would have to be redesigned to accomodate the airbag.

The problem with importing into NA is the restructions imposed. Any non NAS vehicle must be at least 25 years old to get into the US and 15 to get into Canada. Some people have apparently found ways to get new Defenders into the US. I have seen them for sale through different sources. And like the Japanesse grey market, hugely expensive. How they are beating the laws, I don't know.

Since I don't have the $US 65,000 for a Defender, I was wondering when LR was planning on restarting their Defender sales in NA. I can't understand how they can be so willing to sit back and continually lose market share and have the domestic market strenghtened with ongoing time. Gas is still relatively cheap here and the cost of running a big motor still within reality.

I guess this is turning into a bit of a rant, but come on guys, get with the program.

NP

PS
And to top it off, we have to listen to Grandson Bill ? Ford spout off in his TV commercials about how great Ford trucks are. Give
me a break. I'd put my 20 year old S3 up against any new truck has in production.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover