Diff filler plug torque settings, anyone? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-14-05, 12:32 AM
SpamTrapSeeSig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Diff filler plug torque settings, anyone?

HBOL doesn't list it, and the 22lb/ft for the gearbox and transfer box
fillers seems too loose on the diff plugs (110, Salisbury back axle).

The rear diff oil was fairly clean, but the front was almost black. Is
this normal? The swivels are greased, which made me wonder if grease was
mixing with the oil somehow.

Also, the drain plug magnet for the gearbox was pretty hairy, but no
large lumps. Should I be worried (she's 16 years old)?

Sorry to be dense, but I don't do this every day...

Regards,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, UK INDEPENDENCE PARTY, BRISTOL www.ukip.org
EUROPEANS AGAINST THE EU www.members.aol.com/eurofaq
GT250A'76 R80/RT'86 110CSW TD'88 www.kc3ltd.co.uk/profile/eurofollie/


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-14-05, 12:33 AM
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Diff filler plug torque settings, anyone?

In message <1HOHC0FP4KpCFwcu@tigger.muircom.demon.co.uk>
SpamTrapSeeSig <no-one@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> HBOL doesn't list it, and the 22lb/ft for the gearbox and transfer box
> fillers seems too loose on the diff plugs (110, Salisbury back axle).
>


It has a slight taper on it - so just nipping it up and doing around
a turn should be sufficient. Don't over tighten it or it will
get very stuck.

> The rear diff oil was fairly clean, but the front was almost black. Is
> this normal? The swivels are greased, which made me wonder if grease was
> mixing with the oil somehow.
>


Nothing to worry about really. Just change it if necessary, the grease
leaking through is "normal".

> Also, the drain plug magnet for the gearbox was pretty hairy, but no
> large lumps. Should I be worried (she's 16 years old)?
>


Personaly, I'd not get over excited, but I'd keep an eye on it.
Something is on the way out - but is it worth stripping it.......yet?

> Sorry to be dense, but I don't do this every day...
>
> Regards,
>
> Simonm.
>


Richard

--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Helping keep Land Rovers on and off the road to annoy the Lib Dems
 
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-14-05, 12:33 AM
SpamTrapSeeSig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Diff filler plug torque settings, anyone?

In article <29b83a774d%beamendsltd@btconnect.com>, beamendsltd
<beamendsltd@btconnect.com> writes
>In message <1HOHC0FP4KpCFwcu@tigger.muircom.demon.co.uk>
> SpamTrapSeeSig <no-one@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> HBOL doesn't list it, and the 22lb/ft for the gearbox and transfer box
>> fillers seems too loose on the diff plugs (110, Salisbury back axle).
>>

>
>It has a slight taper on it - so just nipping it up and doing around
>a turn should be sufficient. Don't over tighten it or it will
>get very stuck.
>
>> The rear diff oil was fairly clean, but the front was almost black. Is
>> this normal? The swivels are greased, which made me wonder if grease was
>> mixing with the oil somehow.
>>

>
>Nothing to worry about really. Just change it if necessary, the grease
>leaking through is "normal".
>
>> Also, the drain plug magnet for the gearbox was pretty hairy, but no
>> large lumps. Should I be worried (she's 16 years old)?
>>

>
>Personaly, I'd not get over excited, but I'd keep an eye on it.
>Something is on the way out - but is it worth stripping it.......yet?
>
>> Sorry to be dense, but I don't do this every day...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Simonm.
>>

>
>Richard


Many thanks Richard.

"Marge' only does low mileage and gently too, but as you say, I'll watch
it over the next few months.


Regards,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, UK INDEPENDENCE PARTY, BRISTOL www.ukip.org
EUROPEANS AGAINST THE EU www.members.aol.com/eurofaq
GT250A'76 R80/RT'86 110CSW TD'88 www.kc3ltd.co.uk/profile/eurofollie/
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome