Discovery Series II Ignition Leads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2005, 14:01   #1 (permalink)
Simon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Discovery Series II Ignition Leads

Trying to solve a low revs under load misfire when running on LPG
converted Series II discovery - on my previous Series I Discovery a
change of ignition leads solved the problem so thought I'd try the same
on this one. Trouble is, I can't work out how I can get at the
distributer end of the leads hidden at between the block and the
bulkhead to change them.

A friend suggested looking behind the radio for an access panel but I
think he was joking (apparently an old Fiat X/19 he owned had such an
arrangement behind the driver's seat.)

I'm coming to the conclusion that changing the plug leads means taking
off the inlet manifold and associated pipes and wires (and with all the
stuff from the Prins gas conversion as well) just to get access so it
looks well beyond me - so I'm hoping this group can (preferably) tell me
the secret of the DIY approach, or at least confirm that it's a job for
the professionals.

many thanks

Simon
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-22-2005, 14:01   #2 (permalink)
Richard Brookman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Discovery Series II Ignition Leads

so Simon was, like...
> Trying to solve a low revs under load misfire when running on LPG
> converted Series II discovery - on my previous Series I Discovery a
> change of ignition leads solved the problem so thought I'd try the
> same on this one. Trouble is, I can't work out how I can get at the
> distributer end of the leads hidden at between the block and the
> bulkhead to change them.
>
> A friend suggested looking behind the radio for an access panel but I
> think he was joking (apparently an old Fiat X/19 he owned had such an
> arrangement behind the driver's seat.)
>
> I'm coming to the conclusion that changing the plug leads means taking
> off the inlet manifold and associated pipes and wires (and with all
> the stuff from the Prins gas conversion as well) just to get access
> so it looks well beyond me - so I'm hoping this group can
> (preferably) tell me the secret of the DIY approach, or at least
> confirm that it's a job for the professionals.
>
> many thanks
>
> Simon


The Thor engine uses two double coils - effectively 4 coils firing 1/6, 7/4,
5/8, 3/2 with a lost spark. These are, as you say, mounted behind the
engine against the bulkhead and are a bugger to get at. The ignition leads
may well be part of the coil assembly (not sure) but it sure ain't the usual
5-minute job to change them.

--
Rich
==============================
Disco 300 Tdi auto
S2a 88" SW
Tiggrr (V8 trialler)


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 16:01   #3 (permalink)
Badger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Discovery Series II Ignition Leads


"Richard Brookman" <newsboy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:3muqbgF18pp0vU1@individual.net...
> so Simon was, like...
>> Trying to solve a low revs under load misfire when running on LPG
>> converted Series II discovery - on my previous Series I Discovery a
>> change of ignition leads solved the problem so thought I'd try the
>> same on this one. Trouble is, I can't work out how I can get at the
>> distributer end of the leads hidden at between the block and the
>> bulkhead to change them.
>>
>> A friend suggested looking behind the radio for an access panel but I
>> think he was joking (apparently an old Fiat X/19 he owned had such an
>> arrangement behind the driver's seat.)
>>
>> I'm coming to the conclusion that changing the plug leads means taking
>> off the inlet manifold and associated pipes and wires (and with all
>> the stuff from the Prins gas conversion as well) just to get access
>> so it looks well beyond me - so I'm hoping this group can
>> (preferably) tell me the secret of the DIY approach, or at least
>> confirm that it's a job for the professionals.
>>
>> many thanks
>>
>> Simon

>
> The Thor engine uses two double coils - effectively 4 coils firing 1/6,
> 7/4, 5/8, 3/2 with a lost spark. These are, as you say, mounted behind
> the engine against the bulkhead and are a bugger to get at. The ignition
> leads may well be part of the coil assembly (not sure) but it sure ain't
> the usual 5-minute job to change them.


The leads are replaceable, but you need to remove the manifold to do so, I'm
afraid. With the manifold off, you can just get at them!! Removing the
manifold is pretty easy really, 6 bolts are all that hold it down, just
label whatever non-std bits as you go. Tip - use 2 nuts to remove the water
pipe mounting stud from the drivers side of the manifold, and replace the
stupid hose clips on the throttle body with jubilee type clips on
reassembly. " hours will do the whole job, easily. Alternator etc stays put,
remove pipe stud, pipes at throttle body and 2 breather pipes, unplug
throttle position sensor, idle speed control motor and vacuum valve, reach
behind manifold and remove 2 upper coil pack securing bolts (8mm, either
side of manifold rear centre bolt), remove 6 manifold bolts (10mm), one at
rear, one at front and 4 in centre, remove throttle cables and lift front of
manifold and tease out forwards and upwards. DO NOT re-use the gasket (19
from landrover!!!) on reassembly or you will get inlet leaks. Struggle with
HT leads, then reassemble.
Badger.


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 13:01   #4 (permalink)
Simon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Discovery Series II Ignition Leads

Badger wrote:
> "Richard Brookman" <newsboy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:3muqbgF18pp0vU1@individual.net...
>
>>so Simon was, like...
>>
>>>Trying to solve a low revs under load misfire when running on LPG
>>>converted Series II discovery - on my previous Series I Discovery a
>>>change of ignition leads solved the problem so thought I'd try the
>>>same on this one. Trouble is, I can't work out how I can get at the
>>>distributer end of the leads hidden at between the block and the
>>>bulkhead to change them.
>>>
>>>A friend suggested looking behind the radio for an access panel but I
>>>think he was joking (apparently an old Fiat X/19 he owned had such an
>>>arrangement behind the driver's seat.)
>>>
>>>I'm coming to the conclusion that changing the plug leads means taking
>>>off the inlet manifold and associated pipes and wires (and with all
>>>the stuff from the Prins gas conversion as well) just to get access
>>>so it looks well beyond me - so I'm hoping this group can
>>>(preferably) tell me the secret of the DIY approach, or at least
>>>confirm that it's a job for the professionals.
>>>
>>>many thanks
>>>
>>>Simon

>>
>>The Thor engine uses two double coils - effectively 4 coils firing 1/6,
>>7/4, 5/8, 3/2 with a lost spark. These are, as you say, mounted behind
>>the engine against the bulkhead and are a bugger to get at. The ignition
>>leads may well be part of the coil assembly (not sure) but it sure ain't
>>the usual 5-minute job to change them.

>
>
> The leads are replaceable, but you need to remove the manifold to do so, I'm
> afraid. With the manifold off, you can just get at them!! Removing the
> manifold is pretty easy really, 6 bolts are all that hold it down, just
> label whatever non-std bits as you go. Tip - use 2 nuts to remove the water
> pipe mounting stud from the drivers side of the manifold, and replace the
> stupid hose clips on the throttle body with jubilee type clips on
> reassembly. " hours will do the whole job, easily. Alternator etc stays put,
> remove pipe stud, pipes at throttle body and 2 breather pipes, unplug
> throttle position sensor, idle speed control motor and vacuum valve, reach
> behind manifold and remove 2 upper coil pack securing bolts (8mm, either
> side of manifold rear centre bolt), remove 6 manifold bolts (10mm), one at
> rear, one at front and 4 in centre, remove throttle cables and lift front of
> manifold and tease out forwards and upwards. DO NOT re-use the gasket (19
> from landrover!!!) on reassembly or you will get inlet leaks. Struggle with
> HT leads, then reassemble.
> Badger.
>
>

Thank you for all this advice - perhaps I'll try some new plugs first!
and then maybe 'av a go
Simon
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.