Doors to fit a Defender 110? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2005, 17:01   #1 (permalink)
Ian Rawlings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Doors to fit a Defender 110?

Hello peeps, I'm trying to replace the doors on my Defender 110, I
didn't see anything that caught my eye enough at Sodbury (prices too
high) but was thinking about what would fit the truck.

I seem to remember that a friend's old pre-defender 110 had
series-style doors with sliding windows and no bulky internals, making
the doors much thinner allowing more knee-wobbling room inside. Can
anyone confirm my suspicions and if these doors will fit a Defender?
ISTR that the 110/90 door style changed about halfway through their
life before the bulky doors with rotten internals were introduced with
the Defenders.

Also would Series 3 doors fit without too much hammering?

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-05-2005, 01:01   #2 (permalink)
JD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Doors to fit a Defender 110?

Ian Rawlings wrote:

> Hello peeps, I'm trying to replace the doors on my Defender 110, I
> didn't see anything that caught my eye enough at Sodbury (prices too
> high) but was thinking about what would fit the truck.
>
> I seem to remember that a friend's old pre-defender 110 had
> series-style doors with sliding windows and no bulky internals, making
> the doors much thinner allowing more knee-wobbling room inside. Can
> anyone confirm my suspicions and if these doors will fit a Defender?
> ISTR that the 110/90 door style changed about halfway through their
> life before the bulky doors with rotten internals were introduced with
> the Defenders.
>
> Also would Series 3 doors fit without too much hammering?
>

Series 2/2a/3/90/110/Defender doors are all the same shape with the same
boltholes for the important bits. A summary of the door types is as
follows:-

Series 2/2a - 2 piece (except rear & side rear of five door 109). Only
significant change in late production was to the window lock. Door check
pivoted on door, slides on bulkhead.

Series 3 - same as S2 except door check is pivoted on bulkhead and slides in
door. Optional (standard in late production) anti-burst door locks,
interchangeable except they need a hole in the door skin for the keyhole.
Series 2&3 optional groove along bottom for door trim.

Very early 110. Same as S3 door except that the door check is pivoted on the
door and slides on the bulkhead pillar. Glass is arranged differently with
the join between the two panes sloped rather than vertical. This door is
still fitted to most military 90/110. Tops are interchangeable from this
door right back to S2.

110/90 to 1987 Fabricated frame one piece door with wind up windows. Much
thicker, very prone to rattles. New remote operation door lock and
different striker plate.

110/90 to date. Pressed frame one piece door, even thicker, push button door
handles, new locks and striker plate, common to other
Leyland/Rover/Landrover vehicles. Generally much better engineered, but you
lose a lot of space.

All the doors are interchangeable with appropriate locks and striker plates,
except you may have to cobble up the door check arrangement. Fitting the
late 90/110 doors to earlier models will cause problems with elbow room
unless you also fit a smaller steering wheel and move the outboard seats
inward an inch or so.
JD
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:01   #3 (permalink)
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Doors to fit a Defender 110?

In message <slrnd53hdj.dtd.news05@gate-int.tarcus.org.uk>
Ian Rawlings <news05@tarcus.org.uk> wrote:

> Hello peeps, I'm trying to replace the doors on my Defender 110, I
> didn't see anything that caught my eye enough at Sodbury (prices too
> high) but was thinking about what would fit the truck.
>
> I seem to remember that a friend's old pre-defender 110 had
> series-style doors with sliding windows and no bulky internals, making
> the doors much thinner allowing more knee-wobbling room inside. Can
> anyone confirm my suspicions and if these doors will fit a Defender?
> ISTR that the 110/90 door style changed about halfway through their
> life before the bulky doors with rotten internals were introduced with
> the Defenders.


Thats the change to push button from lift up handles.

>
> Also would Series 3 doors fit without too much hammering?
>


They fit straight on - no hammering required. You'll have
to sort out the keepers on the B post, but they fit straight
on too.

Richard

--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Helping keep Land Rovers on and off the road to annoy the Lib Dems
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 13:01   #4 (permalink)
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Doors to fit a Defender 110?

Fit ! that is a bit of an overstatement for Land Rover doors of any variety
:)


--
Larry
Series 3 rust and holes

"beamendsltd" <beamendsltd@btconnect.com> wrote in message
news:209dbe564d%beamendsltd@btconnect.com...
> In message <slrnd53hdj.dtd.news05@gate-int.tarcus.org.uk>
> Ian Rawlings <news05@tarcus.org.uk> wrote:
>
> They fit straight on - no hammering required. You'll have
> to sort out the keepers on the B post, but they fit straight
> on too.
>
> Richard
>
> --
> www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
> Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
> Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
> Helping keep Land Rovers on and off the road to annoy the Lib Dems



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 15:01   #5 (permalink)
Ian Rawlings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Doors to fit a Defender 110?

On 2005-04-05, JD <jjd@SPAMLESS.com.au> wrote:

> Series 2/2a/3/90/110/Defender doors are all the same shape with the same
> boltholes for the important bits. A summary of the door types is as
> follows:-


[very useful info chopped]

Thanks for that, very much appreciated, I'll save that one off and
will mull over what to do. Thanks again, and thanks to the others who
replied too.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:32.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.