driving in europe - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 12:01   #1 (permalink)
t.jonson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
driving in europe

hi,cant seem to find out anywhere do i have to alter the lights on my 04
disco td5 to drive in france keep reading about putting black tape on the
triangles but cant seem to see any on mine?

please help i'm off on friday for the first time

thx
m.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-09-2005, 13:01   #2 (permalink)
SteveG
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: driving in europe

t.jonson wrote:
> hi,cant seem to find out anywhere do i have to alter the lights on my 04
> disco td5 to drive in france keep reading about putting black tape on the
> triangles but cant seem to see any on mine?
>
> please help i'm off on friday for the first time
>
> thx
> m.
>
>


Yes, you do have to alter the lights to prevent your dipped beam from
dazzling oncoming traffic. This can be done by masking the dip area of
the lights with black tape but that reduces the amount of light you get.
A much better (but slightly more costly) solution is to buy a set of
beam deflectors that stick on the front of your lights and actually (as
the name implies) deflect the dip beam light across to the other side
.... maintaining the overall amount of available light and illuminating
the side of the road. The deflectors have pretty diagrams on the back of
the packet to show you where to put them and some are re-usable.

For details of compulsary requirements in the various EU countries take
a look at http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/ov...equipment.html
and download the free information sheet.

Happy travelling :-)

PS: Don't forget they drive on the wrong side of the road over there!

--
Regards

Steve G
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 13:01   #3 (permalink)
Richard Brookman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: driving in europe

so t.jonson was, like...
> hi,cant seem to find out anywhere do i have to alter the lights on my
> 04 disco td5 to drive in france keep reading about putting black tape
> on the triangles but cant seem to see any on mine?
>
> please help i'm off on friday for the first time
>
> thx
> m.


Yes you do. You can do it with a lot of fiddling about with black tape over
part of the light glass (there are markings there to help you - ask if you
need to know which ones). Or you can go to Halford's or somewhere and get
some "beam benders" which cut out the high/left part of dipped beam for
about 5.99 UKP. You can get the same at most ferryports, but you'll get
stung on the price. Clean glass, stick on where told by instructions, peel
off when back in UK.

--
Rich
==============================
Disco 300 Tdi auto
S2a 88" SW
Tiggrr (V8 trialler)


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
GbH
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: driving in europe

In news:Hb7Ke.85505$G8.37286@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
SteveG <"s.goodfellow"@blueyonder" < <"s.goodfellow"@blueyonder" <"dot> blithered:
> t.jonson wrote:
>> hi,cant seem to find out anywhere do i have to alter the lights on
>> my 04 disco td5 to drive in france keep reading about putting black
>> tape on the triangles but cant seem to see any on mine?
>>
>> please help i'm off on friday for the first time
>>
>> thx
>> m.
>>
>>

>
> Yes, you do have to alter the lights to prevent your dipped beam from
> dazzling oncoming traffic. This can be done by masking the dip area of
> the lights with black tape but that reduces the amount of light you
> get. A much better (but slightly more costly) solution is to buy a
> set of beam deflectors that stick on the front of your lights and
> actually (as the name implies) deflect the dip beam light across to
> the other side ... maintaining the overall amount of available light
> and illuminating the side of the road. The deflectors have pretty
> diagrams on the back of the packet to show you where to put them and
> some are re-usable.
> For details of compulsary requirements in the various EU countries
> take a look at
> http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/ov...equipment.html and
> download the free information sheet.
> Happy travelling :-)
>
> PS: Don't forget they drive on the wrong side of the road over there!


Please don't practice before you go!

--
"He who says it cannot be done should not interrupt her doing it."

If at first you don't succeed,
maybe skydiving's not for you!


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 14:01   #5 (permalink)
SteveG
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: driving in europe

GbH wrote:

>>
>>PS: Don't forget they drive on the wrong side of the road over there!

>
>
> Please don't practice before you go!
>


Jeez, you're no fun :-))

--
Regards

Steve G
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 14:01   #6 (permalink)
t.jonson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: driving in europe


"<snip>

thanks guys it's off to halfords then,looked at the site and printed gear i
needed this is first time abroad in the disco i got this urge to drive it
up the alps,blame the adverts i'm easily led...~(anyone know where there
is a desert round here aswell?)


m.



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 14:01   #7 (permalink)
Danny
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: driving in europe

t.jonson wrote:
> "<snip>
>
> thanks guys it's off to halfords then,looked at the site and printed gear i
> needed this is first time abroad in the disco i got this urge to drive it
> up the alps,blame the adverts i'm easily led...~(anyone know where there
> is a desert round here aswell?)
>
>
> m.
>
>
>


Check the regulations - in some countries (France for instance) it's
law to carry spare bulbs and a warning triangle etc. Hi-Vis jackets
are next on the list of things soon to be required in the EU.

--
Regards,
Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.dannyscoffee.com (UK advert for my mobile espresso service)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/European online ordering for Malabar
Gold blend)
swap Z for above characters in email address to reply

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 14:01   #8 (permalink)
Richard Brookman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: driving in europe

so Danny was, like...

> Hi-Vis jackets
> are next on the list of things soon to be required in the EU.


Small point to add to this. Where they must be carried (Spain at the
moment, I think), they must be inside the vehicle and accessible, not in the
boot or loadspace.

--
Rich
==============================
Disco 300 Tdi auto
S2a 88" SW
Tiggrr (V8 trialler)


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:01   #9 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: driving in europe

On or around Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:25:16 +0100, "Richard Brookman"
<newsboy@nowhere.com> enlightened us thusly:

>so Danny was, like...
>
>> Hi-Vis jackets
>> are next on the list of things soon to be required in the EU.

>
>Small point to add to this. Where they must be carried (Spain at the
>moment, I think), they must be inside the vehicle and accessible, not in the
>boot or loadspace.


a lot of saloons have them inside the boot lid, if they're supplied with
'em, e.g. some mercs.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
"Nessun maggior dolore che ricordarsi del tempo felice nella miseria"
- Dante Alighieri (1265 - 1321) from Divina Commedia 'Inferno'
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:01   #10 (permalink)
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: driving in europe

In message <jimof150vakcutoo175lfe70qknom08u4j@4ax.com>
Austin Shackles <austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote:

> On or around Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:25:16 +0100, "Richard Brookman"
> <newsboy@nowhere.com> enlightened us thusly:
>
> >so Danny was, like...
> >
> >> Hi-Vis jackets
> >> are next on the list of things soon to be required in the EU.

> >
> >Small point to add to this. Where they must be carried (Spain at the
> >moment, I think), they must be inside the vehicle and accessible, not in the
> >boot or loadspace.

>
> a lot of saloons have them inside the boot lid, if they're supplied with
> 'em, e.g. some mercs.


It's getting mad these days - there are so many hi-vis jackets about
now that the person NOT wearing one is the one who stands out....

Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Helping keep Land Rovers on and off the road to annoy the Lib Dems
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:32.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.