*&^%^E$$!! Flat tyre - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 00:31   #1 (permalink)
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
*&^%^E$$!! Flat tyre

Whilst replacing an inner tube might be cheaper than getting a tyre patched,
how many tyre places are open on a Sunday and carry the right size inner
tubes these days? I am cursing myself for not having made sure I have a
spare so's I don't have to wait for them to order one.

At least it is only a slow puncture and I have an electric inflator.

--
T

L'autisme c'est moi

"Space folds, and folded space bends, and bent folded space contracts and
expands unevenly in every way unconcievable except to someone who does not
believe in the laws of mathematics"


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 00:31   #2 (permalink)
Autolycus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: *&^%^E$$!! Flat tyre


"Larry" <NDA@larry-arnold.com> wrote in message
news:d7t1v1$40p$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Whilst replacing an inner tube might be cheaper than getting a tyre
> patched,
> how many tyre places are open on a Sunday and carry the right size
> inner
> tubes these days? I am cursing myself for not having made sure I have
> a
> spare so's I don't have to wait for them to order one.
>

I'm heartily sick of inner tubes: unless the tyre is specifically
designed to accept them, it's probably got so many ribs and assorted
inner roughnesses that it will chew its way through tubes. I don't
think the old remedy for the first puncture of a tubeless tyre ("stick a
tube in it") is sound advice nowadays - an unplugged hole is also more
likely to lead to problems when water reaches the reinforcement plies,
aiui.


--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. apr2005@mainbeam.co.uk)***
Car Transport by Tiltbed Trailer - based near Derby

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:31   #3 (permalink)
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: *&^%^E$$!! Flat tyre

Well it is a Michelin All Terrain tyre and it does say on it "may be used
with a tube" and so far as I know there is a tube in there

I have just taken the thing off and I can't see any puncture :(


--
Larry
Series 3 rust and holes




"Autolycus" <nov2004@mainbeam.co.uk> wrote in message
news:d7u8qe$4q7$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
>
> "Larry" <NDA@larry-arnold.com> wrote in message
> news:d7t1v1$40p$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> I'm heartily sick of inner tubes: unless the tyre is specifically
> designed to accept them, it's probably got so many ribs and assorted
> inner roughnesses that it will chew its way through tubes. I don't
> think the old remedy for the first puncture of a tubeless tyre ("stick a
> tube in it") is sound advice nowadays - an unplugged hole is also more
> likely to lead to problems when water reaches the reinforcement plies,
> aiui.
>
>
> --
> Kevin Poole
> **Use current month and year to reply (e.g. apr2005@mainbeam.co.uk)***
> Car Transport by Tiltbed Trailer - based near Derby
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:32   #4 (permalink)
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: *&^%^E$$!! Flat tyre

I was right and all, none of the big tyre dealers want to handle inner
tubes, had to go all the way over to Rugby to get it sorted.


--
Larry
Series 3 rust and holes



"Larry" <NDA@larry-arnold.com> wrote in message
news:d7uslm$qt2$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Well it is a Michelin All Terrain tyre and it does say on it "may be used
> with a tube" and so far as I know there is a tube in there
>
> I have just taken the thing off and I can't see any puncture :(
>
>
> --
> Larry
> Series 3 rust and holes
>
>
>
>
> "Autolycus" <nov2004@mainbeam.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:d7u8qe$4q7$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
> >
> > "Larry" <NDA@larry-arnold.com> wrote in message
> > news:d7t1v1$40p$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > I'm heartily sick of inner tubes: unless the tyre is specifically
> > designed to accept them, it's probably got so many ribs and assorted
> > inner roughnesses that it will chew its way through tubes. I don't
> > think the old remedy for the first puncture of a tubeless tyre ("stick a
> > tube in it") is sound advice nowadays - an unplugged hole is also more
> > likely to lead to problems when water reaches the reinforcement plies,
> > aiui.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Kevin Poole
> > **Use current month and year to reply (e.g. apr2005@mainbeam.co.uk)***
> > Car Transport by Tiltbed Trailer - based near Derby
> >

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:33   #5 (permalink)
Autolycus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: *&^%^E$$!! Flat tyre

<snip early stuff I cba to re-arrange>

"Larry" <NDA@larry-arnold.com> wrote in message
news:d820b2$sh8$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
>I was right and all, none of the big tyre dealers want to handle inner
> tubes, had to go all the way over to Rugby to get it sorted.
>


So what did the problem turn out to be? The last inner tube puncture I
had was because of grit between the tube and tyre. I've now gone over
to steel wheels and tubeless tyres, and also bought the necessary rotary
rasp, mushroom-headed plugs, and so on to repair my own tubeless tyres.
In an idealised world of weekday punctures and friendly local garages
who repair punctures for a couple of quid into the tea money, it
wouldn't be worth it, but in the real world...




--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. apr2005@mainbeam.co.uk)***
Car Transport by Tiltbed Trailer - based near Derby

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:33   #6 (permalink)
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: *&^%^E$$!! Flat tyre

Seems something had got in and come out again leaving nothing but the hole.

I suppose I am going to have to either stock up on tubes or get out my old
bicycle repair kit, cos I am damned if I am changing the wheels just so's I
can fit tubeless tyres for the convenience of the dealers.


--
Larry
Series 3 rust and holes



"Autolycus" <nov2004@mainbeam.co.uk> wrote in message
news:d83gub$qed$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
> <snip early stuff I cba to re-arrange>
>
> "Larry" <NDA@larry-arnold.com> wrote in message
> news:d820b2$sh8$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
> So what did the problem turn out to be? The last inner tube puncture I
> had was because of grit between the tube and tyre. I've now gone over
> to steel wheels and tubeless tyres, and also bought the necessary rotary
> rasp, mushroom-headed plugs, and so on to repair my own tubeless tyres.
> In an idealised world of weekday punctures and friendly local garages
> who repair punctures for a couple of quid into the tea money, it
> wouldn't be worth it, but in the real world...
>
>
>
>
> --
> Kevin Poole
> **Use current month and year to reply (e.g. apr2005@mainbeam.co.uk)***
> Car Transport by Tiltbed Trailer - based near Derby
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:34   #7 (permalink)
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: *&^%^E$$!! Flat tyre

In message <d84mig$d5r$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>
"Larry" <NDA@larry-arnold.com> wrote:

> Seems something had got in and come out again leaving nothing but the hole.
>
> I suppose I am going to have to either stock up on tubes or get out my old
> bicycle repair kit, cos I am damned if I am changing the wheels just so's I
> can fit tubeless tyres for the convenience of the dealers.
>
>


Hear, hear! I once went to Kwikfit to get a tube for a trailer
fixed/replaced.

"Oh no, Sir, no one uses tubes any more!"
"Er, that big sign outside says you're off-road experts"
"Yep"
"But no tubes?"
"Nope"


So e-mailed their info department from their web site and moaned.

Giving them great credit, one of their staff got back on the
phone within half an hour.

I explained that the vast majority of off road vehicles in this
area are Land Rovers, and the vast majority of them use tubed, or
tubless with tubes for belt and braces (a lot of our customers
will fix a puncture themselves).

"Ah! Our marketing dept. don't seem to known that. And we don't
get much demand for trailer tires."
"It wouldn't be anything to do with keeping stock levels down
would it?"
"Well, you might think that, I couldn't possibly comment" (or
words to that effect).
"Have you got any 7.50's in stock"
"No, but we can get them, usually a week or so"

Off-road experts? Non.

Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Helping keep Land Rovers on and off the road to annoy the Lib Dems
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:34   #8 (permalink)
Moving Vision
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: *&^%^E$$!! Flat tyre


As a TV, film and video producer I recently shot a corporate promo for a
company called Tyre Protector, they had John Fashanu (spelling?) the ex.
footballer presenting. We shot all sorts of vehicles driving over nails,
metal spikes and the like, not just once bit repeatedly. On one test
they drove a Transit van along a plank with eight four inch nails
sticking up. You could hear the phut, phut, phut as each nail drove into
the tyre but each puncture was instantly 'vulcanised' as soon as the
nail came out. Then the van reversed over the same eight nails.
Examining the tyre afterwards revealed absolutely no remaining puncture
in the tyre and no loss of pressure either. The products chemistry is a
closely guarded secret but it's applied through the valve and as soon as
the wheel turns the solution forms a completely even film along the
inside on the tyre, instantly vulcanising under pressure any puncture,
even a quarter inch spike! Additionally the treatment seals any air leak
in the tyre system so that one hardly, if ever, needs to top up tyre
pressure. This also has implications for tyre wear, fuel economy,
handling and of course safety, let alone completely removing the
inconvenience and often costs associated with getting a puncture. Some
of the case studies we filmed included trucking companies, farmers with
tractors and quad bikes and even a football. We were incredibly
impressed with their product and I'd expect it to become a popular
product. If anyone wants to know about them send me an email because I'm
seriously thinking of getting into the business opportunities the
product suggests to me before it really hits the market.

P.S. Apparently another product with similar claims spoiled the market a
couple of years ago because the solution was unstable. This is a
completely new and proven product. To underline this Continental Tyres
have started offering the treatment from their Norway branch to test the
market and will then extend the treatment across all their other
international branches. Quite frankly every tyre on the road ought to
have it.
--
John Lubran
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:34   #9 (permalink)
JD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: *&^%^E$$!! Flat tyre

Moving Vision wrote:

>
> As a TV, film and video producer I recently shot a corporate promo for a
> company called Tyre Protector, they had John Fashanu (spelling?) the ex.
> footballer presenting. We shot all sorts of vehicles driving over nails,
> metal spikes and the like, not just once bit repeatedly. On one test
> they drove a Transit van along a plank with eight four inch nails
> sticking up. You could hear the phut, phut, phut as each nail drove into
> the tyre but each puncture was instantly 'vulcanised' as soon as the
> nail came out. Then the van reversed over the same eight nails.
> Examining the tyre afterwards revealed absolutely no remaining puncture
> in the tyre and no loss of pressure either. The products chemistry is a
> closely guarded secret but it's applied through the valve and as soon as
> the wheel turns the solution forms a completely even film along the
> inside on the tyre, instantly vulcanising under pressure any puncture,
> even a quarter inch spike! Additionally the treatment seals any air leak
> in the tyre system so that one hardly, if ever, needs to top up tyre
> pressure. This also has implications for tyre wear, fuel economy,
> handling and of course safety, let alone completely removing the
> inconvenience and often costs associated with getting a puncture. Some
> of the case studies we filmed included trucking companies, farmers with
> tractors and quad bikes and even a football. We were incredibly
> impressed with their product and I'd expect it to become a popular
> product. If anyone wants to know about them send me an email because I'm
> seriously thinking of getting into the business opportunities the
> product suggests to me before it really hits the market.
>
> P.S. Apparently another product with similar claims spoiled the market a
> couple of years ago because the solution was unstable. This is a
> completely new and proven product. To underline this Continental Tyres
> have started offering the treatment from their Norway branch to test the
> market and will then extend the treatment across all their other
> international branches. Quite frankly every tyre on the road ought to
> have it.


But will it work with tubes?
JD
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:34   #10 (permalink)
PJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: *&^%^E$$!! Flat tyre

JD wrote:
> Moving Vision wrote:
>
>
>>As a TV, film and video producer I recently shot a corporate promo for a
>>company called Tyre Protector, they had John Fashanu (spelling?) the ex.
>>footballer presenting. We shot all sorts of vehicles driving over nails,
>>metal spikes and the like, not just once bit repeatedly. On one test
>>they drove a Transit van along a plank with eight four inch nails
>>sticking up. You could hear the phut, phut, phut as each nail drove into
>>the tyre but each puncture was instantly 'vulcanised' as soon as the
>>nail came out. Then the van reversed over the same eight nails.
>>Examining the tyre afterwards revealed absolutely no remaining puncture
>>in the tyre and no loss of pressure either. The products chemistry is a
>>closely guarded secret but it's applied through the valve and as soon as
>>the wheel turns the solution forms a completely even film along the
>>inside on the tyre, instantly vulcanising under pressure any puncture,
>>even a quarter inch spike! Additionally the treatment seals any air leak
>>in the tyre system so that one hardly, if ever, needs to top up tyre
>>pressure. This also has implications for tyre wear, fuel economy,
>>handling and of course safety, let alone completely removing the
>>inconvenience and often costs associated with getting a puncture. Some
>>of the case studies we filmed included trucking companies, farmers with
>>tractors and quad bikes and even a football. We were incredibly
>>impressed with their product and I'd expect it to become a popular
>>product. If anyone wants to know about them send me an email because I'm
>>seriously thinking of getting into the business opportunities the
>>product suggests to me before it really hits the market.
>>
>>P.S. Apparently another product with similar claims spoiled the market a
>>couple of years ago because the solution was unstable. This is a
>>completely new and proven product. To underline this Continental Tyres
>>have started offering the treatment from their Norway branch to test the
>>market and will then extend the treatment across all their other
>>international branches. Quite frankly every tyre on the road ought to
>>have it.

>
>
> But will it work with tubes?
> JD

And the chaps with the blue flashing lights on the roof are going to be
unimpressed when deploying their 'stingers' to stop vehicles being
driven by thieves.
PJ
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:09.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.