Electrical Gremlins - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 04:01   #1 (permalink)
Simon Barr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Electrical Gremlins

The wipers on my 110 have taken to refusing to stop on the odd occasion, has
anyone else experienced this? I was thinking maybe a relay is sticking or
the parking switch in the motor has gone a bit dicky.

If it is a relay, where is it?

Also the brake warning light on the dash comes on intermitently, not the
handbrake one but the one that I think indicates worn pads. AFAIK my 110
doesn't have the necessary to sense worn pads so does anyone have any ideas
where I should start looking? Is this light related to the trailer electrics
somehow?

Any suggestions welcomed.

TIA.

--
simon at sbarr dot demon dot co dot uk
Simon Barr.
'97 110 300Tdi.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-04-2005, 07:01   #2 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Electrical Gremlins

On or around 4 May 2005 10:40:40 GMT, Simon Barr <me@privacy.net>
enlightened us thusly:

>The wipers on my 110 have taken to refusing to stop on the odd occasion, has
>anyone else experienced this? I was thinking maybe a relay is sticking or
>the parking switch in the motor has gone a bit dicky.


parking switch in the motor or maybe a wiper switch fault.

>Also the brake warning light on the dash comes on intermitently, not the
>handbrake one but the one that I think indicates worn pads. AFAIK my 110
>doesn't have the necessary to sense worn pads so does anyone have any ideas
>where I should start looking? Is this light related to the trailer electrics
>somehow?


I think it might have a switch for brake circuit failure which responds to
pressure difference; either that or low fluid level. Might even be a
low-vacuum switch on it. what age vehicle? there are generally more
warning devices the later the motor.

--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
Appearances: You don't really need make-up. Celebrate your authentic
face by frightening people in the street.
from the Little Book of Complete B***ocks by Alistair Beaton.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 14:01   #3 (permalink)
JD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Electrical Gremlins

Simon Barr wrote:

> The wipers on my 110 have taken to refusing to stop on the odd occasion,
> has
> anyone else experienced this? I was thinking maybe a relay is sticking or
> the parking switch in the motor has gone a bit dicky.
>
> If it is a relay, where is it?


No relay on mine - would guess the parking switch is sticking on, the column
switch is faulty (most likely), or there is a wiring short.

>
> Also the brake warning light on the dash comes on intermitently, not the
> handbrake one but the one that I think indicates worn pads. AFAIK my 110
> doesn't have the necessary to sense worn pads so does anyone have any
> ideas
> where I should start looking? Is this light related to the trailer
> electrics somehow?
>


Some 110s at least have a warning switch that activates if there is more
fluid goes to front or back. If you have drum brakes, this can be activated
if the rear brakes need adjustment - took me ages to find this!

(snip)
JD

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:01   #4 (permalink)
MVP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Electrical Gremlins

On Thu, 05 May 2005 06:28:22 +1000, JD <jjd@SPAMLESS.com.au> wrote:

>Simon Barr wrote:
>
>> The wipers on my 110 have taken to refusing to stop on the odd occasion,
>> has
>> anyone else experienced this? I was thinking maybe a relay is sticking or
>> the parking switch in the motor has gone a bit dicky.
>>
>> If it is a relay, where is it?

>
>No relay on mine - would guess the parking switch is sticking on, the column
>switch is faulty (most likely), or there is a wiring short.
>
>>
>> Also the brake warning light on the dash comes on intermitently, not the
>> handbrake one but the one that I think indicates worn pads. AFAIK my 110
>> doesn't have the necessary to sense worn pads so does anyone have any
>> ideas
>> where I should start looking? Is this light related to the trailer
>> electrics somehow?
>>

>
>Some 110s at least have a warning switch that activates if there is more
>fluid goes to front or back. If you have drum brakes, this can be activated
>if the rear brakes need adjustment - took me ages to find this!
>
>(snip)
>JD


this was the problem on mine, the later 110's also have a low-fluid
warning thing I understand.

if the light only comes on when braking it's the valve thingy.
intermittant generally could be low brake fluid.


Regards.
Mark.
--
_________________________________________
1984 110 CSW 2.5(na)D - leaving soon
3.9 V8i LPG auto Disco - coming soon
www.4x4info.info
www.mvp-fine-art.co.uk
www.markvarleyphoto.co.uk
charity calendar project -
http://www.4x4info.info/calendar/
_________________________________________



.................................................................
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:01   #5 (permalink)
Simon Barr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Electrical Gremlins

In article <28vj719fqs56estbg9pnb64d7f95nbma9o@4ax.com>, MVP wrote:
>
> intermittant generally could be low brake fluid.
>


This could been it. I may have been getting my warning lamps confused!

In my defense I must say that the handbrake warning lamp has never worked
in my 110 so I wasn't 100% certain which one it was! I don't class it as
a necessity so it's stayed that way, in fact the switch is mostly missing.

The only manual I didn't have until today was the owners one, which I have
now downloaded. From this I can see that the light that is coming on is
the handbrake one that also indicates a fault (like low fluid) if it comes
on with the h/brake off.

I checked the fluid level and it was maybe just below half way between
low and full. Perhaps this was low enough for the warning to come on
intermitently?

So, what is the warning lamp like the handbrake one but with a P in the
circle instead of a !, the manual doesn't show that one?

--
simon at sbarr dot demon dot co dot uk
Simon Barr.
'97 110 300Tdi.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:20.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.