exhaust woes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2005, 12:02   #1 (permalink)
Dom J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
exhaust woes

So i wasted my Saturday evening trying to get rear lights working that
aren't even fitted, then flatten the battery and fianlly to really make my
weekend, got out of Disco in pub carpark to be greeted by all my mates
pointing and laughing at the silencer....that was now sat on the floor.

ATS wanted 82 for the bit from the middle box undereneath to the outside
world. Great me thinks, order me one up then. Went back today to have it
fitted, to be greeted with:

"What Land Rover exhaust bits"

A quick look round the workshop revealed a pile of shiney new exhaust bits,
but none that looked remotely like mine. Matey puts Disco on ramp and gets
underneath. Much sucking of teeth follows. Turns out they have ordered the
wrong bit. Upon closer inspection and more teeth sucking, i am informed
that '....have to order the middle box as well as it looks rusty amd may
fall apart when i start taking the old pipe off'. Back into office and they
quote me 201 for a tail pipe and middle box. Promptly walked out and said
i'll think about it.

Paddock want 62 for what i think is the right bit, Part number NTC7246. Is
this the bit i want?. Disco is an M reg 3.9Efi V8. Failing that it's out
with the welder!!.

Dom J



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-06-2005, 14:01   #2 (permalink)
Thos
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: exhaust woes

I had the same problem a few months ago with my 1992 2.5 Tdi Disco when
the tail pipe and back box fell off (also in a public car park). I'm
no engineer, but the lack of any support to the pipe at that point
would seem to be an obvious design fault.

As the car is worth less than the cost of a new exhaust (or probably
even a part-exhaust), I got a piece of snugly-fitting mild steel and
pushed as much as I could into the pipe forward of the break. As I
didn't want to reduce the efficiency of the back box too much I only
left 60 mm or so of the tube to feed into that box.

I then welded as heavily as I could around the break and onto the new
inner steel sleeve.

It seems to have done the trick. There's no noticable loss of
performance or increased noise and the tailpipe still seems firm
enough.

- Tom Bennett

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 14:01   #3 (permalink)
Steve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: exhaust woes

Dom J wrote:

> Paddock want 62 for what i think is the right bit, Part number NTC7246. Is
> this the bit i want?. Disco is an M reg 3.9Efi V8. Failing that it's out
> with the welder!!.


Try www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk

Steve
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 17:01   #4 (permalink)
PDannyD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: exhaust woes

On Thursday 06 October 2005 21:31, Steve(steve@thetaylorfamily.org.uk) wrote
in message <434589a6$0$318$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk>

> Dom J wrote:
>
>> Paddock want 62 for what i think is the right bit, Part number NTC7246.
>> Is
>> this the bit i want?. Disco is an M reg 3.9Efi V8. Failing that it's
>> out with the welder!!.

>
> Try www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk


Seconded.

--
2001 FZS600 - Silver/Black
1974 SIII Land Rover - Hardtop 2.25 Petrol, Green
1954 Ford 100E Prefect - Black
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:01   #5 (permalink)
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: exhaust woes

In message <di3qg6$jp2$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>
"Dom J" <dominic@jackson547.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

> So i wasted my Saturday evening trying to get rear lights working that
> aren't even fitted, then flatten the battery and fianlly to really make my
> weekend, got out of Disco in pub carpark to be greeted by all my mates
> pointing and laughing at the silencer....that was now sat on the floor.
>
> ATS wanted 82 for the bit from the middle box undereneath to the outside
> world. Great me thinks, order me one up then. Went back today to have it
> fitted, to be greeted with:
>
> "What Land Rover exhaust bits"
>
> A quick look round the workshop revealed a pile of shiney new exhaust bits,
> but none that looked remotely like mine. Matey puts Disco on ramp and gets
> underneath. Much sucking of teeth follows. Turns out they have ordered the
> wrong bit. Upon closer inspection and more teeth sucking, i am informed
> that '....have to order the middle box as well as it looks rusty amd may
> fall apart when i start taking the old pipe off'. Back into office and they
> quote me 201 for a tail pipe and middle box. Promptly walked out and said
> i'll think about it.
>
> Paddock want 62 for what i think is the right bit, Part number NTC7246. Is
> this the bit i want?. Disco is an M reg 3.9Efi V8. Failing that it's out
> with the welder!!.
>
> Dom J
>
>
>


NTC7426 is for CAT systems, ESR2917 Non CAT.

Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Boycott the Yorkshire Dales - No Play, No Pay
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:10.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.