Fitting Jerry Cans - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2005, 10:03   #1 (permalink)
Andrew Renshaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Fitting Jerry Cans

Hi all,

I have a 110 Defender CSW 12 seats, I have taken out the back 6 seats and am
modifying the boot for our Africa Trip.

I have decided to attach a Jerry Can to outside the car on the passenger
side boot, with a proper Jerry Can Cradle, it is impossible to fit it the
other side because of the fuel tank filler. Will it upset the balance of the
vehicle by just having a jerry can on one side, the other three will be on
the roof.

Any help

Andrew


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-06-2005, 20:02   #2 (permalink)
PDannyD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fitting Jerry Cans

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 12:43, Andrew Renshaw(andrew@preaching.co.uk)
wrote in message <otPye.1298$f77.1158@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>

> Hi all,
>
> I have a 110 Defender CSW 12 seats, I have taken out the back 6 seats and
> am modifying the boot for our Africa Trip.
>
> I have decided to attach a Jerry Can to outside the car on the passenger
> side boot, with a proper Jerry Can Cradle, it is impossible to fit it the
> other side because of the fuel tank filler. Will it upset the balance of
> the vehicle by just having a jerry can on one side, the other three will
> be on the roof.


Bloody hell! How big is the jerry can!?

The 110 wont even notice there's a jerry can on the back, full or otherwise.
The three on the roof will be more of a problem but even then not much of
one unless you're getting into situations where every degree of lean angle
counts.

--
2001 FZS600 - Silver/Black
1974 SIII Land Rover - Hardtop 2.25 Petrol, Green
1954 Ford 100E Prefect - Black
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:02   #3 (permalink)
Samuel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fitting Jerry Cans

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a 110 Defender CSW 12 seats, I have taken out the back 6 seats

and
> > am modifying the boot for our Africa Trip.
> >
> > I have decided to attach a Jerry Can to outside the car on the passenger
> > side boot, with a proper Jerry Can Cradle, it is impossible to fit it

the
> > other side because of the fuel tank filler. Will it upset the balance of
> > the vehicle by just having a jerry can on one side, the other three will
> > be on the roof.

>
> Bloody hell! How big is the jerry can!?
>
> The 110 wont even notice there's a jerry can on the back, full or

otherwise.
> The three on the roof will be more of a problem but even then not much of
> one unless you're getting into situations where every degree of lean angle
> counts.


second that.

your average jerry can carrys 20 litres of petrol, therefore a full can
would weigh about 25 kilos by my best estimate. i dont think this is
anywhere near enough to upset the balance of your 110.

Sam.


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:02   #4 (permalink)
DNS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fitting Jerry Cans

Snip...

> Will it upset the balance of the vehicle by just having a jerry can on one

side, the other three will be on the roof.

I think you'll find that a jerry can on one side of the vehicle will
definitely cause the 110 to tip over at the slightest provocation.

Honestly ;-)

David.

110 CSW.

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 14:02   #5 (permalink)
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fitting Jerry Cans

I have one on the back door. Mind you like everything else it rusts, so does
the cradle,


--
Larry
Series 3 rust and holes





"Andrew Renshaw" <andrew@preaching.co.uk> wrote in message
news:otPye.1298$f77.1158@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a 110 Defender CSW 12 seats, I have taken out the back 6 seats and

am
> modifying the boot for our Africa Trip.
>
> I have decided to attach a Jerry Can to outside the car on the passenger
> side boot, with a proper Jerry Can Cradle, it is impossible to fit it the
> other side because of the fuel tank filler. Will it upset the balance of

the
> vehicle by just having a jerry can on one side, the other three will be on
> the roof.
>
> Any help
>
> Andrew
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 16:02   #6 (permalink)
Andrew Renshaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fitting Jerry Cans

I take it you are extracting a clear yellow liquid and I needn't worry

Andy


"DNS" <david@sillitoe.com> wrote in message
news:BEF308AE.C687%david@sillitoe.com...
> Snip...
>
>> Will it upset the balance of the vehicle by just having a jerry can on
>> one

> side, the other three will be on the roof.
>
> I think you'll find that a jerry can on one side of the vehicle will
> definitely cause the 110 to tip over at the slightest provocation.
>
> Honestly ;-)
>
> David.
>
> 110 CSW.
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 19:02   #7 (permalink)
Steve Taylor
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fitting Jerry Cans

You ARE putting a heck of a lot of weight, well above the centre of
gravity of the vehicle. Just be aware of it.

Steve
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 19:02   #8 (permalink)
Samuel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fitting Jerry Cans


"Steve Taylor" <steve@thetaylorfamily.org.uk> wrote in message
news:42cda379$0$10478$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk...
> You ARE putting a heck of a lot of weight, well above the centre of
> gravity of the vehicle. Just be aware of it.
>
> Steve


agreed that the jerry cans on the roof-rack are a little awkward, but one on
the rear of the vehicle is not really worth worrying about.

Sam.


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 00:02   #9 (permalink)
David G. Bell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fitting Jerry Cans

On Friday, in article
<42cdb9bf$0$10101$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>
samuelmcgregor@optusnet.com.au "Samuel" wrote:

> "Steve Taylor" <steve@thetaylorfamily.org.uk> wrote in message
> news:42cda379$0$10478$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk...
> > You ARE putting a heck of a lot of weight, well above the centre of
> > gravity of the vehicle. Just be aware of it.
> >
> > Steve

>
> agreed that the jerry cans on the roof-rack are a little awkward, but one on
> the rear of the vehicle is not really worth worrying about.


It's tempting to allow for it when arranging storage, but it's a smaller
left/right difference than you can get from using fuel on an SWB, and
much less than the difference a passenger makes.



--
David G. Bell -- SF Fan, Filker, and Punslinger.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:02   #10 (permalink)
MVP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fitting Jerry Cans

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 01:50:36 +0100 (BST), dbell@zhochaka.org.uk
("David G. Bell") wrote:

>On Friday, in article
> <42cdb9bf$0$10101$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>
> samuelmcgregor@optusnet.com.au "Samuel" wrote:
>
>> "Steve Taylor" <steve@thetaylorfamily.org.uk> wrote in message
>> news:42cda379$0$10478$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk...
>> > You ARE putting a heck of a lot of weight, well above the centre of
>> > gravity of the vehicle. Just be aware of it.
>> >
>> > Steve

>>
>> agreed that the jerry cans on the roof-rack are a little awkward, but one on
>> the rear of the vehicle is not really worth worrying about.

>
>It's tempting to allow for it when arranging storage, but it's a smaller
>left/right difference than you can get from using fuel on an SWB, and
>much less than the difference a passenger makes.


I've driven a 110 with (I think) 6 or maybe 8 jerry cans on the front
of the roof rack (yea.. I know). it had evil body-roll on corners and
was a bit unweildy off-road but I managed with no real problems (apart
from the time I slipped off the bonnet with a full can of diesel in
each hand, ouch, the bonned was coated in sheet ice, as was everything
else).
I'm fairly sure that you'll get your wrists slapped for using jerry
can holders on the sides of the vehicle here and in europe.


Regards.
Mark.
--
_________________________________________
www.4x4info.info
www.mvp-fine-art.co.uk
www.markvarleyphoto.co.uk
_________________________________________



.................................................................
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:22.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.