FREELANDER TAILGATE ! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2005, 20:01   #1 (permalink)
Hi-Soft
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
FREELANDER TAILGATE !



I have a problem with my tail gate window sticking as it goes
down....dealer said it needs a NEW cable....and that will cost AU$700 plus
$200 to fit....wow.....$900!!!!!!!!!

Surely there's a way to adjust this...take up the slack with some cable link
or something ???


Anyone done this before...?...
I'm going to buy the workshop manual...so I can figure out how to get the
interior trim off the tailgate....then investigate myself...I know big
dealers....don't usually service items like this....anything that is
slightly worn....they just replace...easier...and quicker for them....but
bloody expensive for the owners.. :(


While I'm at it...if anyone can suggest a good online place for spare parts
for my Freelander ( 98 1.8 petrol )..i'm in Australia....though sometimes
it's still cheaper to import....



cheers,
Brian C



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-16-2005, 14:01   #2 (permalink)
Lee_D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: FREELANDER TAILGATE !

"Hi-Soft" <bjcanham-nospam-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:92pWe.48495$FA3.22693@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
>
> I have a problem with my tail gate window sticking as it goes
> down....dealer said it needs a NEW cable....and that will cost AU$700 plus
> $200 to fit....wow.....$900!!!!!!!!!
>
> Surely there's a way to adjust this...take up the slack with some cable
> link
> or something ???
>
>
> Anyone done this before...?...
> I'm going to buy the workshop manual...so I can figure out how to get the
> interior trim off the tailgate....then investigate myself...I know big
> dealers....don't usually service items like this....anything that is
> slightly worn....they just replace...easier...and quicker for them....but
> bloody expensive for the owners.. :(
>
>
> While I'm at it...if anyone can suggest a good online place for spare
> parts
> for my Freelander ( 98 1.8 petrol )..i'm in Australia....though sometimes
> it's still cheaper to import....
>
>
>
> cheers,
> Brian C


Father in law had a similar diagnosis on a Volvo.. If it is just the cable
take a look at it and see if your local pedal cycle shop (specialist not the
usual high street one) can fix you up. The Cycle shop that the father in law
went into named his model of volvo before he told him what it
was...spooky... worth a try! If it works send me a tinny ;0)

Lee D


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 20:01   #3 (permalink)
Hi-Soft
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: FREELANDER TAILGATE !

cool..tahnks...I will have the workshop manual next week...then can
investigate how to remove the interior trim for the tail gate....if's not
obvious as you'd think....must ne hidden screws...or clips somewhere...

once i get that off...I'll be able to have a look and see what going on in
there...I'm sure I'll bale to fix it....as LR once told me I need a new
wiper assembley....around AU$400....i just removed it...cleaned it...sprayed
contact on it...and it have never played up again..!

--


cheers,
Brian C


"Lee_D" <newsgroupNOSPAM@NOSPAMlrproject.com> wrote in message
news:3p0jtcF7r2rjU1@individual.net...
> "Hi-Soft" <bjcanham-nospam-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:92pWe.48495$FA3.22693@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>>
>>
>> I have a problem with my tail gate window sticking as it goes
>> down....dealer said it needs a NEW cable....and that will cost AU$700
>> plus
>> $200 to fit....wow.....$900!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Surely there's a way to adjust this...take up the slack with some cable
>> link
>> or something ???
>>
>>
>> Anyone done this before...?...
>> I'm going to buy the workshop manual...so I can figure out how to get the
>> interior trim off the tailgate....then investigate myself...I know big
>> dealers....don't usually service items like this....anything that is
>> slightly worn....they just replace...easier...and quicker for them....but
>> bloody expensive for the owners.. :(
>>
>>
>> While I'm at it...if anyone can suggest a good online place for spare
>> parts
>> for my Freelander ( 98 1.8 petrol )..i'm in Australia....though sometimes
>> it's still cheaper to import....
>>
>>
>>
>> cheers,
>> Brian C

>
> Father in law had a similar diagnosis on a Volvo.. If it is just the cable
> take a look at it and see if your local pedal cycle shop (specialist not
> the usual high street one) can fix you up. The Cycle shop that the father
> in law went into named his model of volvo before he told him what it
> was...spooky... worth a try! If it works send me a tinny ;0)
>
> Lee D
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:01   #4 (permalink)
Hi-Soft
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: FREELANDER TAILGATE !

UPDATE..

..K. after being quote near $1000 to fit & supply a new cable for my tail
gate...so as to cure the sticking window syndrome...I have a go at it
thistoday myself..

An hour later...and a little bit of fiddling around...I managed to take up
the slack in the cable with a small spacer...and that's it...i's all working
perfectly...saved myseld a thousand bucks too :)...glad i bought the
workshop manual now too..

--


cheers,
Brian C


"Hi-Soft" <bjcanham-nospam-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:7iKWe.49516$FA3.40505@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> cool..tahnks...I will have the workshop manual next week...then can
> investigate how to remove the interior trim for the tail gate....if's not
> obvious as you'd think....must ne hidden screws...or clips somewhere...
>
> once i get that off...I'll be able to have a look and see what going on in
> there...I'm sure I'll bale to fix it....as LR once told me I need a new
> wiper assembley....around AU$400....i just removed it...cleaned
> it...sprayed contact on it...and it have never played up again..!
>
> --
>
>
> cheers,
> Brian C
>
>
> "Lee_D" <newsgroupNOSPAM@NOSPAMlrproject.com> wrote in message
> news:3p0jtcF7r2rjU1@individual.net...
>> "Hi-Soft" <bjcanham-nospam-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:92pWe.48495$FA3.22693@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>>>
>>>
>>> I have a problem with my tail gate window sticking as it goes
>>> down....dealer said it needs a NEW cable....and that will cost AU$700
>>> plus
>>> $200 to fit....wow.....$900!!!!!!!!!
>>>
>>> Surely there's a way to adjust this...take up the slack with some cable
>>> link
>>> or something ???
>>>
>>>
>>> Anyone done this before...?...
>>> I'm going to buy the workshop manual...so I can figure out how to get
>>> the
>>> interior trim off the tailgate....then investigate myself...I know big
>>> dealers....don't usually service items like this....anything that is
>>> slightly worn....they just replace...easier...and quicker for
>>> them....but
>>> bloody expensive for the owners.. :(
>>>
>>>
>>> While I'm at it...if anyone can suggest a good online place for spare
>>> parts
>>> for my Freelander ( 98 1.8 petrol )..i'm in Australia....though
>>> sometimes
>>> it's still cheaper to import....
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Brian C

>>
>> Father in law had a similar diagnosis on a Volvo.. If it is just the
>> cable take a look at it and see if your local pedal cycle shop
>> (specialist not the usual high street one) can fix you up. The Cycle shop
>> that the father in law went into named his model of volvo before he told
>> him what it was...spooky... worth a try! If it works send me a tinny ;0)
>>
>> Lee D
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:25.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.