Front wheels touching radius arms on full lock - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2005, 10:01   #1 (permalink)
Mark Solesbury
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Front wheels touching radius arms on full lock

hi all

The RR has just failed its MOT on a few silly things, but one im not sure
how to sort is that the front wheel touches the radius arm on full lock. Its
the OSF, and only the OS. The NS is fine.

The guy at the station seemed to think that there is a steering stop lock
missing, but im not sure!

Is it a case of lengthening the track rod by a few mm? Surely this is going
to affect the tracking?


MArk.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-27-2005, 10:01   #2 (permalink)
Neil Brownlee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Front wheels touching radius arms on full lock

Mark,

There is a bolt on the swivel (on each side) - obviously the length the bolt
is unscrewed on the offside will affect the nearside lock..and vice
versa....

--
Neil
http://www.mud-club.com


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:01   #3 (permalink)
MVP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Front wheels touching radius arms on full lock

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:16:36 +0000 (UTC), "Neil Brownlee"
<n.brownlee@pccontrolNOSPAMsystems.com> wrote:

>Mark,
>
>There is a bolt on the swivel (on each side) - obviously the length the bolt
>is unscrewed on the offside will affect the nearside lock..and vice
>versa....


Wot he said.

Easy enough to spot the right bolt as you can usually see where it's
been making contact with the thingy.

--
Mark.
www.markvarleyphoto.co.uk
www.mvp-fine-art.co.uk
www.4x4info.info
www.shoot-to-thrill.com



.................................................................
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:01   #4 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Front wheels touching radius arms on full lock

On or around Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:01:25 GMT, "Mark Solesbury"
<msolesbury@IHATESPAMSPAMfuji.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:

>hi all
>
>The RR has just failed its MOT on a few silly things, but one im not sure
>how to sort is that the front wheel touches the radius arm on full lock. Its
>the OSF, and only the OS. The NS is fine.
>
>The guy at the station seemed to think that there is a steering stop lock
>missing, but im not sure!
>
>Is it a case of lengthening the track rod by a few mm? Surely this is going
>to affect the tracking?


no, adjust the steering stop. 's on the front of the swivel housing. You
need to wind out the one on the opposite side a bit.

Jack the thing onto axle stands under the front axle so it's sitting level,
then have an "assitant" turn the wheel lock-to-lock, you'll soon spot the
lockstops, looks like a big bolt sticking out from the front of the swivel -
at full lock it hits the axle casing or part thereof. If the lock stop *is*
missing, you should spot this too.

I think the RR ones are just a 10mm bolt (17mm head) but could be wrong,
with a locknut. wind it out about half a turn, if it's there. If not, look
at the other side, and acquire simialr and fit it. I believe the "correct"
clearance is 20mm, although in practice, if it doesn't touch, it's fine.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; and
therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee"
John Donne (1571? - 1631) Devotions, XVII
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:01   #5 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Front wheels touching radius arms on full lock

On or around Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:42:49 +0100, MVP
<mr.nice@*nospam*softhome.net> enlightened us thusly:

>On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:16:36 +0000 (UTC), "Neil Brownlee"
><n.brownlee@pccontrolNOSPAMsystems.com> wrote:
>
>>Mark,
>>
>>There is a bolt on the swivel (on each side) - obviously the length the bolt
>>is unscrewed on the offside will affect the nearside lock..and vice
>>versa....

>
>Wot he said.
>
>Easy enough to spot the right bolt as you can usually see where it's
>been making contact with the thingy.


unless it really is missing...:-)
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; and
therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee"
John Donne (1571? - 1631) Devotions, XVII
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 14:01   #6 (permalink)
Huw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Front wheels touching radius arms on full lock


"Austin Shackles" <austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote in message
news:5mtij1t2t9ph4g7j90m3t3p35nnffkf411@4ax.com...
> On or around Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:42:49 +0100, MVP
> <mr.nice@*nospam*softhome.net> enlightened us thusly:
>
>>On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:16:36 +0000 (UTC), "Neil Brownlee"
>><n.brownlee@pccontrolNOSPAMsystems.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Mark,
>>>
>>>There is a bolt on the swivel (on each side) - obviously the length the
>>>bolt
>>>is unscrewed on the offside will affect the nearside lock..and vice
>>>versa....

>>
>>Wot he said.
>>
>>Easy enough to spot the right bolt as you can usually see where it's
>>been making contact with the thingy.

>
> unless it really is missing...:-)


The adjuster on the other side will still be there.

Huw


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:43.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.