fuel-burning heater - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2005, 06:01   #1 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
fuel-burning heater

is it the freeloader TD4 that has a diesel-burning heater to supplement the
normal one?

if it's gonna be cold, I wouldn't mind one on the minibus... anyone know if
this is so or if it's available either new or s/h and how much?

Does it work by heating the coolant, or does it output directly to the
cabin?
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
Appearances: You don't really need make-up. Celebrate your authentic
face by frightening people in the street.
from the Little Book of Complete B***ocks by Alistair Beaton.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-22-2005, 09:01   #2 (permalink)
90ninety
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fuel-burning heater

It is the freeloader Td4 that has one. It works very well, but I have no
idea how. It was under warranty so I never bother getting into anything
technical with it!

Stew.

--
1990 Ninety 2.5 n/a D (Jasmine) - the off-road toy
Ex- Freelander Td4 5dr owner - the worst vehicle I have ever had!!!
New Jeep Cherokee Ltd 2.8CRD Auto - freelander replacement.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:01   #3 (permalink)
Rich
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fuel-burning heater

Hi Austin, these are used on trucks as well they are called esparcher or
some thing like that. as far as I know they all heat air which is then blown
in to the passenger space, the burnt fumes are not mixed they exit the
heater via their own exhaust.
You do see them for sale second hand but are still dear.. hope this helps

Rich
--
To reply remove " spam "


"Austin Shackles" <austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote in message
news:6c86o1hueiuf6s2i56c496pet2aqvi6h9h@4ax.com...
> is it the freeloader TD4 that has a diesel-burning heater to supplement

the
> normal one?
>
> if it's gonna be cold, I wouldn't mind one on the minibus... anyone know

if
> this is so or if it's available either new or s/h and how much?
>
> Does it work by heating the coolant, or does it output directly to the
> cabin?
> --
> Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
> Appearances: You don't really need make-up. Celebrate your authentic
> face by frightening people in the street.
> from the Little Book of Complete B***ocks by Alistair Beaton.



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:02   #4 (permalink)
Tom Woods
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fuel-burning heater

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:49:23 +0000, Austin Shackles
<austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote:

>is it the freeloader TD4 that has a diesel-burning heater to supplement the
>normal one?
>
>if it's gonna be cold, I wouldn't mind one on the minibus... anyone know if
>this is so or if it's available either new or s/h and how much?


I believe eberspacher make diesel heaters too (the petrol ones on 101
ambis are very nice).
I think theyre used in lots of trucks and boats.

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 14:01   #5 (permalink)
Dave Liquorice
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fuel-burning heater

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:49:23 +0000, Austin Shackles wrote:

> is it the freeloader TD4 that has a diesel-burning heater to
> supplement the normal one?


I thought Discos had 'em available as an option. Some blooming weird
forgien name that I can never remember let alone spiel.

But google is your friend "diesel cab heater" produces the two makes
that I am aware of: Webasto or Eberspächer.

> Does it work by heating the coolant, or does it output directly to
> the cabin?


Output to the cabin but the exhuast goes outside of course, they
contain a heat exchanger.

They ain't cheap though, at least not new...

--
Cheers new5pam@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 14:02   #6 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fuel-burning heater

On or around Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:50:08 GMT, "Rich"
<r3engineering@ntlworldspam.com> enlightened us thusly:

>Hi Austin, these are used on trucks as well they are called esparcher or
>some thing like that. as far as I know they all heat air which is then blown
>in to the passenger space, the burnt fumes are not mixed they exit the
>heater via their own exhaust.
>You do see them for sale second hand but are still dear.. hope this helps


eberspacher. Aye, I know about them. Will have to look into it.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
"There are three sorts of people in the world - those who can count,
and those who can't" (Anon)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 15:01   #7 (permalink)
Tom Woods
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fuel-burning heater

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:52:56 +0000, Austin Shackles
<austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote:

>On or around Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:50:08 GMT, "Rich"
><r3engineering@ntlworldspam.com> enlightened us thusly:
>
>>Hi Austin, these are used on trucks as well they are called esparcher or
>>some thing like that. as far as I know they all heat air which is then blown
>>in to the passenger space, the burnt fumes are not mixed they exit the
>>heater via their own exhaust.
>>You do see them for sale second hand but are still dear.. hope this helps

>
>eberspacher. Aye, I know about them. Will have to look into it.


Ive just looked on ebay for em and theyre still damn expensive on
there :(
If the diesel ones kick out as much heat as the petrol ones then they
would make driving my 2A in the winter a lot nicer! (no heater atall
at the mo). It usually breaks ready for any snow so i dont get to
drive it but its actually healthy this year!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 00:01   #8 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fuel-burning heater

On or around Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:08:47 +0000, Tom Woods
<tomarse_@hotmail.com> enlightened us thusly:

>On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:52:56 +0000, Austin Shackles
><austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote:
>
>>On or around Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:50:08 GMT, "Rich"
>><r3engineering@ntlworldspam.com> enlightened us thusly:
>>
>>>Hi Austin, these are used on trucks as well they are called esparcher or
>>>some thing like that. as far as I know they all heat air which is then blown
>>>in to the passenger space, the burnt fumes are not mixed they exit the
>>>heater via their own exhaust.
>>>You do see them for sale second hand but are still dear.. hope this helps

>>
>>eberspacher. Aye, I know about them. Will have to look into it.

>
>Ive just looked on ebay for em and theyre still damn expensive on
>there :(
>If the diesel ones kick out as much heat as the petrol ones then they
>would make driving my 2A in the winter a lot nicer! (no heater atall
>at the mo). It usually breaks ready for any snow so i dont get to
>drive it but its actually healthy this year!


I was thinking about the minibus. The heater supplied would doubtless be
plenty good enough for a closed van cab, but combined with an efficient Di
diesel it doesn't really cut it for heating a greenhouse. And that's with a
new thermostat. It's just about OK with the sort of -2 or -3 temps we're
getting at the moment, once it's warmed up, which takes at least 10 minutes
of mixed driving.

--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"
Alphonse Karr (1808 - 1890) Les Guêpes, Jan 1849
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:01   #9 (permalink)
Autolycus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fuel-burning heater


"Austin Shackles" <austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote in message
news:bt58o1hc8maavpbjb4h3ac1njjnf3evo9m@4ax.com...
<snip>
>
> I was thinking about the minibus. The heater supplied would doubtless
> be
> plenty good enough for a closed van cab, but combined with an
> efficient Di
> diesel it doesn't really cut it for heating a greenhouse. And that's
> with a
> new thermostat. It's just about OK with the sort of -2 or -3 temps
> we're
> getting at the moment, once it's warmed up, which takes at least 10
> minutes
> of mixed driving.


I have an elderly (let's be exact - 43-year-old) electric fan heater
that I stand in the boss's car before she goes out in the morning, for
anything up to half an hour. Costs very little as it's still Economy 7
period, and not only clears all the ice off the windows, but also warms
the structure of the car so that you notice the warm air from the car
heater so much sooner. It would be nice to have a big pair of live
contacts on the wall and a corresponding pair on the car, permanently
wired to the fan heater, but I don't think she could park it that
accurately (and that nice Mr Prescott might tell me it contravenes some
dull regulation or other).

One of those Kenlowe pre-heaters for the coolant would be nice, but
somehow they seem so much more trouble (and expense) than my wonderful
Ducal Aristocrat (honestly) fan heater.


--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. nov2005@mainbeam.co.uk)***
Car Transport by Tiltbed Trailer - based near Derby


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:01   #10 (permalink)
SpamTrapSeeSig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: fuel-burning heater

In article <on47o1t3h8lkaa41ohccnd1o5a7fa8bd03@4ax.com>, Austin Shackles
<austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> writes
>On or around Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:50:08 GMT, "Rich"
><r3engineering@ntlworldspam.com> enlightened us thusly:
>
>>Hi Austin, these are used on trucks as well they are called esparcher or
>>some thing like that. as far as I know they all heat air which is then blown
>>in to the passenger space, the burnt fumes are not mixed they exit the
>>heater via their own exhaust.
>>You do see them for sale second hand but are still dear.. hope this helps

>
>eberspacher. Aye, I know about them. Will have to look into it.


And Webasto. And there's one fitted on Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy people
carriers (ours has one), and they often go "faulty", meaning smokey.

You might get a sub-standard one that's fixable off a garage.


Regards,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, BRISTOL UK www.ukip.org
EUROPEANS AGAINST THE EU www.members.aol.com/eurofaq
GT250A'76 R80/RT'86 110CSW TD'88 www.kc3ltd.co.uk/profile/eurofollie/
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:01.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.