gearbox oil additives - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-05, 02:13 AM
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
gearbox oil additives


anyone tried gearbox oil additives (slick 50 or equivalent) in LT230s, and
with what results?

the T-box on mine is still whiny, after fitting a new input gear (not much
to my surprise...) There's not much backlash in it, so I think it's pretty
normal - after all, they did revise the gears to make 'em quieter.


--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
Travel The Galaxy! Meet Fascinating Life Forms...
------------------------------------------------\
>> http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ << \ ...and Kill them.

a webcartoon by Howard Tayler; I like it, maybe you will too!


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-05, 02:13 AM
Tom Woods
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: gearbox oil additives

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:25:14 +0000, Austin Shackles
<austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote:

>
>anyone tried gearbox oil additives (slick 50 or equivalent) in LT230s, and
>with what results?


I tried slick 50 in a saab gearbox which had a bit of a whine. Didn't
really make a difference (I drained it and put fresh oil in at the
same time too).

As the box got worse I started sticking EP-90 in it (box is supposed
to have 75-80 in it). that actually made it quieter!

It blew up about 5000 miles after the slick50 anyhow, so it could have
just been that the box was terminally ill anyhow and nothing could
stop it whining!
>
>the T-box on mine is still whiny, after fitting a new input gear (not much
>to my surprise...) There's not much backlash in it, so I think it's pretty
>normal - after all, they did revise the gears to make 'em quieter.


 
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-05, 02:14 AM
Huw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: gearbox oil additives


"Tom Woods" <tomarse_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:rv6431132sl9eup2o93cngj474ks0r1j55@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:25:14 +0000, Austin Shackles
> <austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote:
>
>>
>>anyone tried gearbox oil additives (slick 50 or equivalent) in LT230s, and
>>with what results?

>
> I tried slick 50 in a saab gearbox which had a bit of a whine. Didn't
> really make a difference (I drained it and put fresh oil in at the
> same time too).
>
> As the box got worse I started sticking EP-90 in it (box is supposed
> to have 75-80 in it). that actually made it quieter!
>
> It blew up about 5000 miles after the slick50 anyhow, so it could have
> just been that the box was terminally ill anyhow and nothing could
> stop it whining!
>>


It probably blew up because you used a heavy viscosity oil in one designed
for substantially lighter 75w/80.

75w/80 transmission oil is about the same viscosity as a 10w/30 engine oil
or automatic transmission fluid.

The LT230 transfer box is not fussy about its oil, just as long as it is
wet.

Huw


 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-05, 02:14 AM
Tom Woods
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: gearbox oil additives

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:33:54 -0000, "Huw"
<hedydd[nospam]@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>
>It probably blew up because you used a heavy viscosity oil in one designed
>for substantially lighter 75w/80.
>
>75w/80 transmission oil is about the same viscosity as a 10w/30 engine oil
>or automatic transmission fluid.


How does that work?. I thought that the numbers indicated the
viscosity of the oil but was unsure why the saab manual says engine
oil or 75w/80.

I didnt start adding ep90 unil i started loosing gears - by which time
I had accepted anyway that the box was broken! It did make it a lot
quieter! :)

>
>The LT230 transfer box is not fussy about its oil, just as long as it is
>wet.
>
>Huw
>


 
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-05, 02:14 AM
Huw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: gearbox oil additives


"Tom Woods" <tomarse_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:l5e531h4rpbq4gej3f3m6475h6r891lrus@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:33:54 -0000, "Huw"
> <hedydd[nospam]@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>
>>It probably blew up because you used a heavy viscosity oil in one designed
>>for substantially lighter 75w/80.
>>
>>75w/80 transmission oil is about the same viscosity as a 10w/30 engine oil
>>or automatic transmission fluid.

>
> How does that work?.


There are two unrelated scales.



I thought that the numbers indicated the
> viscosity of the oil but was unsure why the saab manual says engine
> oil or 75w/80.


Now you know ;-)


Huw


 
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-05, 02:14 AM
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: gearbox oil additives

On or around Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:08:11 -0000, "Huw"
<hedydd[nospam]@tiscali.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:

>
>"Tom Woods" <tomarse_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:l5e531h4rpbq4gej3f3m6475h6r891lrus@4ax.com...
>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:33:54 -0000, "Huw"
>> <hedydd[nospam]@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>It probably blew up because you used a heavy viscosity oil in one designed
>>>for substantially lighter 75w/80.
>>>
>>>75w/80 transmission oil is about the same viscosity as a 10w/30 engine oil
>>>or automatic transmission fluid.

>>
>> How does that work?.

>
>There are two unrelated scales.
>
>
>
> I thought that the numbers indicated the
>> viscosity of the oil but was unsure why the saab manual says engine
>> oil or 75w/80.

>
>Now you know ;-)
>


mind, it makes more sense that you can use synthetic SAE75 in a 'box which
is "supposed" to run on ATF.

--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"Quos deus vult perdere, prius dementat" Euripedes, quoted in
Boswell's "Johnson".
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome