injector cleaners - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-05, 02:01 PM
mogg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
injector cleaners

chaps your knowledge please

I give my petrol vectra a dose of injector cleaner every 10k miles or so,
can I do the same for my 300tdi defender? I looked on the label of a bottle
of the stuff the other day, but couldn't see anything on there to say I
could or couldn't use it with a diesel
any ideas chaps




 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-05, 03:03 PM
Gerry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: injector cleaners


"mogg" <eddie.morgan@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:dhpbor$egu$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> chaps your knowledge please
>
> I give my petrol vectra a dose of injector cleaner every 10k miles or so,
> can I do the same for my 300tdi defender? I looked on the label of a
> bottle of the stuff the other day, but couldn't see anything on there to
> say I could or couldn't use it with a diesel
> any ideas chaps
>

I've had 5 different diesel engined cars in the last few years,
I 've ran all off them from new until between 100k & 160k.

Not one of them gave me any injector problems.
Can't see the 300tdi being any different.
Save your money is what I say.

Or better still get a V8

Gerry


 
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-05, 03:03 PM
TonyB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: injector cleaners


"mogg" <eddie.morgan@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:dhpbor$egu$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> chaps your knowledge please
>
> I give my petrol vectra a dose of injector cleaner every 10k miles or so,
> can I do the same for my 300tdi defender? I looked on the label of a

bottle
> of the stuff the other day, but couldn't see anything on there to say I
> could or couldn't use it with a diesel
> any ideas chaps


Wilkinsons do a Redex Diesel Injector Cleaner for 3.95 that treats 4
tankfuls of fuel. The improvement in mileage makes the stuff pay for itself.
My 92 Tdi went from about 30 ish to about 35 ish mpg which is at least 50
miles extra per tank, or a saving of at least 5 pounds a tankful after the
cost of the Redex is taken out.

Mind you, other places sell the same for 6.99.

TonyB
>
>



 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-05, 03:03 PM
Richard Brookman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: injector cleaners

so Gerry was, like...
> "mogg" <eddie.morgan@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:dhpbor$egu$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> chaps your knowledge please
>>
>> I give my petrol vectra a dose of injector cleaner every 10k miles
>> or so, can I do the same for my 300tdi defender? I looked on the
>> label of a bottle of the stuff the other day, but couldn't see
>> anything on there to say I could or couldn't use it with a diesel
>> any ideas chaps
>>

> I've had 5 different diesel engined cars in the last few years,
> I 've ran all off them from new until between 100k & 160k.
>
> Not one of them gave me any injector problems.
> Can't see the 300tdi being any different.
> Save your money is what I say.
>
> Or better still get a V8
>
> Gerry


And I think there is different stuff for petrol and diesel - not sure if
it's just hype, but I'd get the correct stuff meself.

--
Rich
==============================
Disco 300 Tdi auto
S2a 88" SW
Tiggrr (V8 trialler)


 
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-05, 06:01 PM
Derek
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: injector cleaners


"mogg" <eddie.morgan@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:dhpbor$egu$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> chaps your knowledge please
>
> I give my petrol vectra a dose of injector cleaner every 10k miles or so,
> can I do the same for my 300tdi defender? I looked on the label of a

bottle
> of the stuff the other day, but couldn't see anything on there to say I
> could or couldn't use it with a diesel
> any ideas chaps
>

well you could but since the petrol injector cleaner is mainly Kerosine
I'd say it was a very expensive way of buying cheap diesel with a little
colouring and a few unspecified hydrocarbon additives alternatively putting
a drop of diesel in a petrol engine now and again is a very cheap way of buy
injector cleaner I do it either that or spring for a fill of optimax- seems
to work the same.
Derek


 
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-05, 03:01 AM
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: injector cleaners

In message <3qas80Fe310dU1@individual.net>
"Richard Brookman" <newsboy@nowhere.com> wrote:

> so Gerry was, like...
> > "mogg" <eddie.morgan@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > news:dhpbor$egu$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> >> chaps your knowledge please
> >>
> >> I give my petrol vectra a dose of injector cleaner every 10k miles
> >> or so, can I do the same for my 300tdi defender? I looked on the
> >> label of a bottle of the stuff the other day, but couldn't see
> >> anything on there to say I could or couldn't use it with a diesel
> >> any ideas chaps
> >>

> > I've had 5 different diesel engined cars in the last few years,
> > I 've ran all off them from new until between 100k & 160k.
> >
> > Not one of them gave me any injector problems.
> > Can't see the 300tdi being any different.
> > Save your money is what I say.
> >
> > Or better still get a V8
> >
> > Gerry

>
> And I think there is different stuff for petrol and diesel - not sure if
> it's just hype, but I'd get the correct stuff meself.
>


There are two types, petrol & diesel. Whether there is any difference
between the two I can't say. I was very scornful of such products until
I knocked the cap off a bottle and stuck it in the 110 to get rid of it.
It did make a difference to the "feel" of the engine, and reduced the
diesel "haze" you can only see at night quite substantially on a 245,000
mile engine.

Richard

--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Boycott the Yorkshire Dales - No Play, No Pay
 
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-05, 05:01 PM
TonyB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: injector cleaners

> well you could but since the petrol injector cleaner is mainly Kerosine

That's a bit like saying beer is mainly water. Perfectly true but it's the
other bits that make the product what it is. Injector cleaner also contains
cetane, a chemical that improves detonation. This is why, I suspect, that
the mpg increases.

TonyB


 
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-05, 05:01 PM
Derek
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: injector cleaners


"TonyB" <Norfolk@soxclara.co.uk> wrote in message
news:dhs9s3$24h$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> > well you could but since the petrol injector cleaner is mainly Kerosine

>
> That's a bit like saying beer is mainly water. Perfectly true but it's the
> other bits that make the product what it is. Injector cleaner also

contains
> cetane, a chemical that improves detonation. This is why, I suspect, that
> the mpg increases.
>
> TonyB
>

True enough Tony but kerosine is really quite good for removing gum grease
and other clag from carburettors (I've been using it for the last 30 odd
years) which is generally the point of injector cleaners.
Derek


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome