Insurance / immobilisers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2005, 15:01   #1 (permalink)
Tony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Insurance / immobilisers

I have just get insurance from sureterm for my 'new' disco. They have stated
that I should have a cat 2 Thatcham immobiliser fitted.

My question is what 'cat' is a standard LR immobiliser.

If not 'good' enough then how much is a 'good' one, any recommendations.

Thanks


Tony


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-21-2005, 15:01   #2 (permalink)
MVP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Insurance / immobilisers

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:21:54 GMT, "Tony" <tony417@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I have just get insurance from sureterm for my 'new' disco. They have stated
>that I should have a cat 2 Thatcham immobiliser fitted.
>
>My question is what 'cat' is a standard LR immobiliser.
>
>If not 'good' enough then how much is a 'good' one, any recommendations.
>
>Thanks
>
>
>Tony


The 'cat' referres to the Thatcham (security gubbins testy people)
CATagory 2.

IIRC such things have to be installed by a certified professional in
order for the insurance company to accept it, there are companies
around that specialise in such things.


Regards.
Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)
--
_________________________________________
1984 110 CSW 2.5(na)D
(3,000 rivets flying in close formation)
www.4x4info.info
www.mvp-fine-art.co.uk
www.markvarleyphoto.co.uk
_________________________________________



.................................................................
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 15:01   #3 (permalink)
StaffBull
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Insurance / immobilisers

From experience - LR one button remote types pre 95 I think are Cat2 two
button remotes 96 are Cat1

One button on my 94 300Tdi, two on My 96 ES V8i


"Tony" <tony417@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:6OH%d.1633$fr.1037@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
>I have just get insurance from sureterm for my 'new' disco. They have
>stated that I should have a cat 2 Thatcham immobiliser fitted.
>
> My question is what 'cat' is a standard LR immobiliser.
>
> If not 'good' enough then how much is a 'good' one, any recommendations.
>
> Thanks
>
>
> Tony
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 17:01   #4 (permalink)
tigapiglet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Insurance / immobilisers


Go to your nice friendly landrover dealer for a letter stating what
group your alarm is because at the time of fitting discos had the best
you could get the other person is correct in what they say as they have
passive imobb,most nice dealerships will be obliging.


--
tigapiglet
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tigapiglet's Profile: http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/member.php?userid=771
View this thread: http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/showthread.php?t=21755

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:01   #5 (permalink)
DavidM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Insurance / immobilisers

MVP" <mr.nice@*nospam*softhome.net> wrote in message
news:s4ju319dd0oeqj0f80qbgi908nb64f1re8@4ax.com...
> >If not 'good' enough then how much is a 'good' one, any recommendations.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >
> >Tony

>
> The 'cat' referres to the Thatcham (security gubbins testy people)
> CATagory 2.
>
> IIRC such things have to be installed by a certified professional in
> order for the insurance company to accept it, there are companies
> around that specialise in such things.
> Regards.
> Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)



I got exactly the same conditions from Sureterm when my Audi insurance was
due last month. They did not bother putting the same conditions on my SIII
though, Ha Ha I would have said to them.
A CAT II immobiliser will cost between 99.99 and 125 fitted in Cambridge,
you need to send Sureterm a signed and stamped fitters certificate to prove
it's been done. I went with the 99 option. When I rung up Sureterm to renew
I complained that it would cost me 100 to comply with their policy renewal
and asked them to cover some of the cost. After waiting 3 minutes, the guy
came back to me and said they would knock 100 off the policy price. Not a
bad outcome.

Hope you get the same price reduction.

David

--
-------
# | |
:===[==|====;
[/ \|___|_/ \|
\_/ \_/
DavidM djm81NOSPAMatcam.ac.uk


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 13:01   #6 (permalink)
StaffBull
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Insurance / immobilisers

Managed to get a whole years fully comp free on the 300Tdi at sureterm -
they made a mistake at the time of last years insurance saying her indoors
could be added for 150 when she passed her test. when I called back after
she passed they wanted 650!! so I asked them to dig out the tapes of the
initial quote (they can work for you as well!!) and said I was going to take
out an add in every LR mag stating this - low and behold manager comes on
the phone and gives me a year gratis!! - RESULT :-). It's one of the reasons
I kept it really as I use the V8i all the time or the company motor and am
planning to buy an MR2 turbo to fill the lunatic gap in the "fleet"


"DavidM" <djm81@(I hate spam)cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:d1p2qf$gdt$1@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk...
> MVP" <mr.nice@*nospam*softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:s4ju319dd0oeqj0f80qbgi908nb64f1re8@4ax.com...
>> >If not 'good' enough then how much is a 'good' one, any recommendations.
>> >
>> >Thanks
>> >
>> >
>> >Tony

>>
>> The 'cat' referres to the Thatcham (security gubbins testy people)
>> CATagory 2.
>>
>> IIRC such things have to be installed by a certified professional in
>> order for the insurance company to accept it, there are companies
>> around that specialise in such things.
>> Regards.
>> Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

>
>
> I got exactly the same conditions from Sureterm when my Audi insurance was
> due last month. They did not bother putting the same conditions on my SIII
> though, Ha Ha I would have said to them.
> A CAT II immobiliser will cost between 99.99 and 125 fitted in
> Cambridge,
> you need to send Sureterm a signed and stamped fitters certificate to
> prove
> it's been done. I went with the 99 option. When I rung up Sureterm to
> renew
> I complained that it would cost me 100 to comply with their policy
> renewal
> and asked them to cover some of the cost. After waiting 3 minutes, the guy
> came back to me and said they would knock 100 off the policy price. Not a
> bad outcome.
>
> Hope you get the same price reduction.
>
> David
>
> --
> -------
> # | |
> :===[==|====;
> [/ \|___|_/ \|
> \_/ \_/
> DavidM djm81NOSPAMatcam.ac.uk
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:15.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.