K&N - Best way to clean?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 01:01   #1 (permalink)
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
K&N - Best way to clean??

Hi all,

Finally got round to cleaning my 200tdi K&N filter last night.

The proper cleaner worked wonders getting the oil and rubbish off/out
BUT it did not seem to cean to remove the oil impregnated mud that has
lodged itself between the filter material and the steel gauze.

A stiff paintbrush removed some more mud but I still couldnt get it
all out.

K&N Destructions say you never direct water from the outside inwards
as this only makes things worse...

So how can I get it out, or should I leave the last 10% - 15% of it
in. There is only 1 real dirty bit and thats about the size of the
air intake pipe that goes into the canister.



On a slightly different topic, do others get mud into air filter? I
cant actually remember driving in mud that deep that it could be
sucked in.

I guess a snorkel may be a good idea, if only to feed fresh air! Oh
no, the Mantec / Safari debate again!!!


Thanks
Jon

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-18-2005, 02:01   #2 (permalink)
Dave Liquorice
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: K&N - Best way to clean??

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 06:54:24 +0000 (UTC), Jon wrote:

> On a slightly different topic, do others get mud into air filter?


Does it get in as mud or as dust then turn into "mud" with the oil
present in the filter...

--
Cheers new5pam@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:01   #3 (permalink)
jOn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: K&N - Best way to clean??


"Dave Liquorice" <new5pam@howhill.com> wrote in message
news:nyyfbegfubjuvyypbz.ilf5sd0.pminews@news.howhill.com...
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 06:54:24 +0000 (UTC), Jon wrote:
>
>> On a slightly different topic, do others get mud into air filter?

>
> Does it get in as mud or as dust then turn into "mud" with the oil
> present in the filter...


I wonder what would happen if you put it in a washing machine?
Just a thought :)


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 15:02   #4 (permalink)
Dave Liquorice
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: K&N - Best way to clean??

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:17:26 +0100, jOn wrote:

> I wonder what would happen if you put it in a washing machine?
> Just a thought :)


All that bouncing about might not do it any good, how about the
dishwasher?

--
Cheers new5pam@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:01   #5 (permalink)
David French
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: K&N - Best way to clean??

In article <csb8g1lleqvt7pgifbk96p5646ulkgqmur@4ax.com>,
Jon <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Finally got round to cleaning my 200tdi K&N filter last night.
>
> The proper cleaner worked wonders getting the oil and rubbish off/out
> BUT it did not seem to cean to remove the oil impregnated mud that has
> lodged itself between the filter material and the steel gauze.
>
> A stiff paintbrush removed some more mud but I still couldnt get it
> all out.
>
> K&N Destructions say you never direct water from the outside inwards
> as this only makes things worse...
>
> So how can I get it out, or should I leave the last 10% - 15% of it
> in. There is only 1 real dirty bit and thats about the size of the
> air intake pipe that goes into the canister.


How about using the K&N cleaning kit - includes a detergent to get the
crud out, then a spray-on oil to recharge it.

Although, given my recent experience with the K&N in my Disco, I'm
tempted to suggest the best way is to throw away the K&N and put a paper
filter in instead :)
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:00.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.