Land Rover Tyres - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2005, 09:01   #1 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Land Rover Tyres

In the Freelander handbook the advice given for tyre changing is as follows;

1. Change full sets if possible

2. If not change axle pairs

3. If you follow option 2 put the new pair on the rear axle and not the
front axle.

It doesn't say why you should do this, and I can't fathom why I should
follow this method at all.

Can anyone here explain this?

Richard


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2005, 11:01   #2 (permalink)
Dave Liquorice
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Land Rover Tyres

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 15:11:22 +0000 (UTC), Richard wrote:

> 1. Change full sets if possible
>
> 2. If not change axle pairs


That is because of the different diameters of the old and worn tyres.
Trying to minimise the amount of work the diffs have to do to avoid
transmission wind up.

> 3. If you follow option 2 put the new pair on the rear axle and not
> the front axle.


You want the grip behind you, not in front. Have the good tyres on the
front and in marginal conditions the back will loose grip and the
front won't. Having better tyres on the front of my old Mondeo (front
wheel drive only...) I feel was a major contributory factor in hitting
a wall and rolling over. TBH I'm not sure how this applies to a 4WD
vehicle.

However when I first got the Disco II, it was rather vague and
wandered about the road very disturbingly, when under light throttle
conditions and slightly down hill. It had the less worn tyres on the
front. I did nothing other than swap front/back and the vagueness
completely disappeared, noticable within in the first 100yds of
driving it was that marked.

Unfortunately there is another variable in that the pairs of tyres
where not from the same maker. Before the swap the front had Pirelli
Scorpion Zero with a good 6+mm of tread, the rear Goodyear Wrangler HP
with about 4mm.

--
Cheers new5pam@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:01   #3 (permalink)
MVP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Land Rover Tyres

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 15:11:22 +0000 (UTC), "Richard"
<richctemail-sexynewsgroups@yahooknickers.co.uk> wrote:

>In the Freelander handbook the advice given for tyre changing is as follows;
>
>1. Change full sets if possible
>
>2. If not change axle pairs
>
>3. If you follow option 2 put the new pair on the rear axle and not the
>front axle.
>
>It doesn't say why you should do this, and I can't fathom why I should
>follow this method at all.
>
>Can anyone here explain this?
>
>Richard


I believe drive is primarily to the rear and they want the grip there.
not sure I agree myself.

--
Mark.
www.markvarleyphoto.co.uk
www.mvp-fine-art.co.uk
www.mvp-gallery.com
www.4x4info.info
www.shoot-to-thrill.com



.................................................................
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 12:01   #4 (permalink)
Dougal
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Land Rover Tyres

MVP wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 15:11:22 +0000 (UTC), "Richard"
> <richctemail-sexynewsgroups@yahooknickers.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In the Freelander handbook the advice given for tyre changing is as follows;


snipped

>>3. If you follow option 2 put the new pair on the rear axle and not the
>>front axle.
>>
>>It doesn't say why you should do this, and I can't fathom why I should
>>follow this method at all.
>>
>>Can anyone here explain this?
>>
>>Richard

>
>
> I believe drive is primarily to the rear and they want the grip there.
> not sure I agree myself.


It is considered that the shift towards understeer resulting from having
the new tyres on the rear is to be preferred to the shift towards
oversteer resulting from the opposite.

If you are aware of the likely effect it doesn't matter what you do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 23:01   #5 (permalink)
90ninety
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Land Rover Tyres

>
> It is considered that the shift towards understeer resulting from having
> the new tyres on the rear is to be preferred to the shift towards
> oversteer resulting from the opposite.
>
> If you are aware of the likely effect it doesn't matter what you do.


I agree with dougal.
I have been to a couple of tyre places to have a pair of tyres changed. They
refused to fit the new set at the front, but would happily fit them at the
rear and swap the existing rear set to the front.
They gave the same reason as Dougal. Or as one chap put it, "It's to stop
idiots from spinning on a roundabout in the wet!"

Stew.

--
1990 Ninety 2.5 n/a D (Jasmine) - the off-road toy
Ex- Freelander Td4 5dr owner - the worst vehicle I have ever had!!!
New Jeep Cherokee Ltd 2.8CRD Auto - freelander replacement.


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:01   #6 (permalink)
Dave Liquorice
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Land Rover Tyres

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 06:31:28 +0100, 90ninety wrote:

>> It is considered that the shift towards understeer resulting from
>> having the new tyres on the rear is to be preferred to the shift
>> towards oversteer resulting from the opposite.

>
> I have been to a couple of tyre places to have a pair of tyres
> changed. They refused to fit the new set at the front, but would
> happily fit them at the rear and swap the existing rear set to the
> front. They gave the same reason as Dougal. Or as one chap put it,
> "It's to stop idiots from spinning on a roundabout in the wet!"


I could take exception to that. B-)

But won't because:

a) It wasn't a roundabout.
b) It wasn't wet, only damp.
c) I didn't spin, the car wanted to but I didn't let it.
c) I wasn't going "too fast", at least not in the "idiot" meaning.
d) It's a known black spot, not that I knew that before. The same
corner has had the local plod off the road. If they can get caught
knowing it's a "bad corner" it'll have anyone off.

--
Cheers new5pam@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:06.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.