Lighting on a Defender Roof Rack - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2005, 07:01   #1 (permalink)
puffernutter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Lighting on a Defender Roof Rack

In the best of Defender traditions I am just about to install some
additional lighting on the front and rear of the roof rack.

What is the best method for getting the wires from the roof rack into
the car. A hole in the roof towards the front then down the front
pillar, or are there better places?

Cheers

Peter

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-01-2005, 09:01   #2 (permalink)
Badger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lighting on a Defender Roof Rack


"puffernutter" <peter@puffer-nutter.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1130856456.200593.249870@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> In the best of Defender traditions I am just about to install some
> additional lighting on the front and rear of the roof rack.
>
> What is the best method for getting the wires from the roof rack into
> the car. A hole in the roof towards the front then down the front
> pillar, or are there better places?
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter


I (well, my wiring, at least) came through a grommet fitted through the roof
just above the "B" pillar then along the inside of the roof and down the "A"
post.
Badger.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 13:01   #3 (permalink)
Richard Brookman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lighting on a Defender Roof Rack

....and Badger spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...


> "puffernutter" <peter@puffer-nutter.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:1130856456.200593.249870@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>> In the best of Defender traditions I am just about to install some
>> additional lighting on the front and rear of the roof rack.
>>
>> What is the best method for getting the wires from the roof rack into
>> the car. A hole in the roof towards the front then down the front
>> pillar, or are there better places?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Peter

>
> I (well, my wiring, at least) came through a grommet fitted through
> the roof just above the "B" pillar then along the inside of the roof
> and down the "A" post.
> Badger.


I was wondering about fitting rack lights to the Disco. If I fitted a
snorkel (another medium-term plan) is there any reason why I couldn't route
the wiring into the top of the snorkel, down the tube and out into the
engine bay (assuming all holes adequately sealed afterwards)? I don't
really want to start drilling holes in the roof, as I think I have one of
only six production Discos without the factory-installed leaks.

--
Rich
==============================
Disco 300 Tdi auto
S2a 88" SW
Tiggrr (V8 trialler)


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 17:01   #4 (permalink)
Badger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lighting on a Defender Roof Rack


"Richard Brookman" <newsboy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:3sq02fFp8f7nU1@individual.net...
> ...and Badger spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...
>
>
>> "puffernutter" <peter@puffer-nutter.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:1130856456.200593.249870@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>>> In the best of Defender traditions I am just about to install some
>>> additional lighting on the front and rear of the roof rack.
>>>
>>> What is the best method for getting the wires from the roof rack into
>>> the car. A hole in the roof towards the front then down the front
>>> pillar, or are there better places?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Peter

>>
>> I (well, my wiring, at least) came through a grommet fitted through
>> the roof just above the "B" pillar then along the inside of the roof
>> and down the "A" post.
>> Badger.

>
> I was wondering about fitting rack lights to the Disco. If I fitted a
> snorkel (another medium-term plan) is there any reason why I couldn't
> route the wiring into the top of the snorkel, down the tube and out into
> the engine bay (assuming all holes adequately sealed afterwards)? I don't
> really want to start drilling holes in the roof, as I think I have one of
> only six production Discos without the factory-installed leaks.


Sounds perfectly feasible to me. BTW, I have one of the other 5, assuming
you are including DII as well... :-)
Badger.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 17:01   #5 (permalink)
SimonJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lighting on a Defender Roof Rack

> In the best of Defender traditions I am just about to install some
> additional lighting on the front and rear of the roof rack.
>

Be careful where you position the lights, I have 4 spotlights along the roof
of the van, and because I placed them too far forwards, they shine through
the windscreen, and onto the top of the dashboard, which just dazzles me!
You can have a similar effect with a defender, where the lights light the
bonnet up, so you see no further than the end of it!

(BTW, are you the puffernutter that bought the home signal arm off me a
while back, on Ebay?)


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 23:01   #6 (permalink)
puffernutter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lighting on a Defender Roof Rack

SimonJ wrote:
>>In the best of Defender traditions I am just about to install some
>>additional lighting on the front and rear of the roof rack.
>>

>
> Be careful where you position the lights, I have 4 spotlights along the roof
> of the van, and because I placed them too far forwards, they shine through
> the windscreen, and onto the top of the dashboard, which just dazzles me!
> You can have a similar effect with a defender, where the lights light the
> bonnet up, so you see no further than the end of it!
>
> (BTW, are you the puffernutter that bought the home signal arm off me a
> while back, on Ebay?)
>
>

That's me!

Any more bits available?

Cheers

Peter (puffernutter)
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:05.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.