Lightweight Series 3 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2005, 16:01   #1 (permalink)
mpeel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Lightweight Series 3

Can anyone tell me if you can get an overdrive unit for this vehicle.and if
it will help with fuel consumption?
Regards


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-28-2005, 04:01   #2 (permalink)
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lightweight Series 3

In message <beydnT7905W24l3fRVnyjA@eclipse.net.uk>
"mpeel" <mike@landie.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if you can get an overdrive unit for this vehicle.and if
> it will help with fuel consumption?
> Regards
>
>


Yes you can - available again new at vast expense, or second hand
(make sure you get *all* the bits) - its just the "standard" Series
unit.
Will it help with fuel consumption? I'd say the jury is well and
truly out on that, but they can certainly reduce wear and tear on
the engine and box if you are a steady driver and can make longer
journeys a lot more pleasant (relatively speaking of course!).

Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Helping keep Land Rovers on and off the road to annoy the Lib Dems
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:01   #3 (permalink)
David G. Bell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lightweight Series 3

On Tuesday, in article <12cbc824d%beamendsltd@btconnect.com>
beamendsltd@btconnect.com "beamendsltd" wrote:

> In message <beydnT7905W24l3fRVnyjA@eclipse.net.uk>
> "mpeel" <mike@landie.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me if you can get an overdrive unit for this vehicle.and if
> > it will help with fuel consumption?
> > Regards
> >
> >

>
> Yes you can - available again new at vast expense, or second hand
> (make sure you get *all* the bits) - its just the "standard" Series
> unit.
> Will it help with fuel consumption? I'd say the jury is well and
> truly out on that, but they can certainly reduce wear and tear on
> the engine and box if you are a steady driver and can make longer
> journeys a lot more pleasant (relatively speaking of course!).


I've noticed a slight improvement from larger tyres, which have similar
effects on gearing, but throw off the speedo.

--
David G. Bell -- SF Fan, Filker, and Punslinger.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:01   #4 (permalink)
Dougal
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lightweight Series 3

beamendsltd wrote:
> In message <beydnT7905W24l3fRVnyjA@eclipse.net.uk>
> "mpeel" <mike@landie.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>
>
>>Can anyone tell me if you can get an overdrive unit for this vehicle.and if
>>it will help with fuel consumption?
>>Regards
>>

>
> Yes you can - available again new at vast expense, or second hand
> (make sure you get *all* the bits) - its just the "standard" Series
> unit.
> Will it help with fuel consumption? I'd say the jury is well and
> truly out on that, but they can certainly reduce wear and tear on
> the engine and box if you are a steady driver and can make longer
> journeys a lot more pleasant (relatively speaking of course!).
>
> Richard


Can be more pleasant to drive and the intermediate gear ratios are
helpful when towing. As for improved fuel consumption - forget it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 15:01   #5 (permalink)
Tom Woods
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lightweight Series 3

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:02:50 +0100, Dougal
<DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

>Can be more pleasant to drive and the intermediate gear ratios are
>helpful when towing. As for improved fuel consumption - forget it.


The intermediate gears are also useful with series diesel engines as a
lot of hills seem to be ideal for midway between 3rd and 4th gear! (so
3rd overdrive)

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:23.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.