New Defender for the Urban Warrior - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2002, 02:38   #1 (permalink)

New Defender for the Urban Warrior

Anyone else see a tread growing here?

Canary Wharf, London, 10 June 2002 - Emphasising its appeal to an urban market, Land Rover is revealing the new 'Defender Black' limited edition at the Canary Wharf International Motor Expo today.

Just 250 examples of this exciting limited edition will be produced - 100 based on the popular 90 Station Wagon with 150 in the versatile 110 Double Cab form. Both versions are priced at £24,995.

With its black coachwork, leather trim, single slot CD player, air conditioning and alloy wheels the Defender Black offers features more usually found on an executive car while retaining all the off-road capability of this iconic Land Rover.

Other features include chequer plate trim on the wing tops and body sides, side protection rails, leather trimmed steering wheel, chrome detailing on the instrument bezels and alloy knobs for the gear and transfer box levers. An ABS braking system and four wheel Electronic Traction Control are fitted as standard.

The Defender Black is powered by the rugged 2.5 litre, five cylinder turbocharged diesel engine developing 122 PS and has a five speed manual gearbox, two speed transfer box and permanent four wheel drive.

Mike Wright, managing director of Land Rover UK said: 'Features such as air conditioning, leather seats and a CD player and design details such as the chrome instrument bezels and alloy control knobs give the interior of the Defender Black a premium feel. The black paintwork, chequer plate and alloy wheels give it real presence while it retains all its superb off-road capability. With its competitive pricing position it will attract a new breed of owners to the already successful Defender range.'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2002, 19:53   #2 (permalink)
Budgie

Sounds great, but still no cruise control or electric windows though!!!
Old 06-17-2002, 23:21   #3 (permalink)

I think that is only a matter of time
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 00:30   #4 (permalink)
Cookie Boy

I think the Tomb Raider has gone to their heads.

Iíve no issue with the innovation and one offs but LR need to be sure of the market and its sustainability.

Sure a beefed up 90 is a fashion item now, but what will it look like in 3-4 years?

Perhaps they should offer two model line ups?
Old 09-24-2002, 16:45   #5 (permalink)
DEFENDER_BLACK

Well Ive got one and its great. Like it better than my old series 2 Disco, 1987 Ninety.

No Im not an urban warrior and not my first defender.

See my website www.defenderblack.co.uk for more info or see my article in LRE Mag october issue pg 147.

Paul.
www.defenderblack.co.uk

othersites :-
www.offroadclub.co.uk

and, dare i mention

www.fronteraoffroadclub.co.uk
Old 09-25-2002, 00:26   #6 (permalink)
Cookie Boy

Paul,

I take the point and have had this debate on a number of groups.

Horses for courses I reckon.

Problem I see is that the further we go down the fashion status route the more removed the marque is from itís original design remit and furthermore the less distinction in the 4x4 sector we have.

Cheers,

Neil
Old 09-25-2002, 06:39   #7 (permalink)
DEFENDER_BLACK

Very true Neil. And in the case of Vauxhall and their frontera, the orignal was strong and competent offroad but on changing to their new model that has been out since 98 they are more car like and lost their ability offroad, especially with the expensive easy ripoff plastic bumpers - Toyota is doing it, Jeep has done (except for the base model) and so are LR with the Range Rover and Disco, what will the new model Defender be like.

Paul.:s6:

PS how do i get the picture in the left hand pane? on my avtar its down as no for it and cant get it on???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sml_black_defender.jpg (4.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-25-2002, 07:14   #8 (permalink)
Cookie Boy

All in one body and chassis, plenty of chrome, lowered ride height and complete with sports exhaust and fluffy dice.

As for the Avatar, the hand book goes along the lines of:

Avatars are small graphical images that you may choose in your profile. They are displayed below your username on all posts that you make. You can select the image that best describes yourself from your profile options.

Here's the list of currently available avatars: NONE

If you have more than 5 posts, you may also specify your own custom avatar.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Neil
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover