New injectors - what a difference - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2005, 02:01   #1 (permalink)
Graham Carter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
New injectors - what a difference

I posted a thread about problems with my 300Tdi Disco, when I had to have
the injector pump rebuilt. At the time, there seemd to be a lack of
performance. Well I've just fitted new injectors, and wow, what a
difference.

Pulled out of my drive, accelerated and was startled by the sudden spurt of
power as the turbo kicked in! It hasn't felt like that since new. At idle,
it used to do a good impresssion of a tractor, with a typical diesel
clatter, but now she purrs.

What I suspect is that when my injector pump failed, some of the bits of
metal had worked their way into the injectors, and were restricting the
pressure. Plus they've been in the vehicle for over 180000km, so were
probably getting long in the tooth anyway.

Merry Christmas everyone, and may 2006 bring many hours of "landie-fun"!

Cheers!
Graham Carter
--
Carter Computer Services (Pvt) Ltd
P.O. Box A1619
Avondale
Harare
Zimbabwe
Tel: +263 4 300082
Cell: +263 91 329310
Fax: +263 918 329310
email:gcarter(at)mweb(dot)co(dot)zw



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-18-2005, 11:01   #2 (permalink)
EMB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New injectors - what a difference

Graham Carter wrote:
> I posted a thread about problems with my 300Tdi Disco, when I had to have
> the injector pump rebuilt. At the time, there seemd to be a lack of
> performance. Well I've just fitted new injectors, and wow, what a
> difference.
>
> Pulled out of my drive, accelerated and was startled by the sudden spurt of
> power as the turbo kicked in! It hasn't felt like that since new. At idle,
> it used to do a good impresssion of a tractor, with a typical diesel
> clatter, but now she purrs.
>
> What I suspect is that when my injector pump failed, some of the bits of
> metal had worked their way into the injectors, and were restricting the
> pressure. Plus they've been in the vehicle for over 180000km, so were
> probably getting long in the tooth anyway.


You should find that the new injectors settle down and beome even better
afetr a few thousand km. You'll also probably notice a bit of an
improvement in fuel economy.

I'd suggest not leaving your injectors quite so long next time - around
100,000km seems to be their lifespan before the nozzles are worn enough
to affect the spray pattern.


--
EMB
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 13:01   #3 (permalink)
Steve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New injectors - what a difference

Richard Brookman wrote:
> ...and EMB spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...
>
>> I'd suggest not leaving your injectors quite so long next time -
>> around 100,000km seems to be their lifespan before the nozzles are
>> worn enough to affect the spray pattern.

>
> I've always reckoned that injectors are one of those fix-it-if-it-breaks
> type of item. And consequently have never felt the need to do so. My
> 300Tdi has done 92,000 miles. Do you reckon changing them would be a good
> idea?
>

Get them tested. Its cheaper than swapping them on spec.

Steve
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
Huw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New injectors - what a difference

Richard Brookman wrote:
> ...and EMB spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...
>
>> I'd suggest not leaving your injectors quite so long next time -
>> around 100,000km seems to be their lifespan before the nozzles are
>> worn enough to affect the spray pattern.

>
> I've always reckoned that injectors are one of those
> fix-it-if-it-breaks type of item. And consequently have never felt
> the need to do so. My 300Tdi has done 92,000 miles. Do you reckon
> changing them would be a good idea?


Not unless they produce markedly more black smoke than they once did, or the
power is down and fuel consumption up, or it is rough running. I reckon
around 150,000 miles is reasonable before changing with the usual dollop of
luck combined with reasonable filter maintenance. In fact my hard used 110
naturally aspirated has done over 8000 hours on one set. 10,000 hours is
quite normal on commercial vehicles. At 20mph average that is 200,000 miles

Huw


  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 14:01   #5 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New injectors - what a difference

On or around Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:06:07 +0000, Steve
<steve@thetaylorfamily.org.uk> enlightened us thusly:

>Richard Brookman wrote:
>> ...and EMB spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...
>>
>>> I'd suggest not leaving your injectors quite so long next time -
>>> around 100,000km seems to be their lifespan before the nozzles are
>>> worn enough to affect the spray pattern.

>>
>> I've always reckoned that injectors are one of those fix-it-if-it-breaks
>> type of item. And consequently have never felt the need to do so. My
>> 300Tdi has done 92,000 miles. Do you reckon changing them would be a good
>> idea?
>>

>Get them tested. Its cheaper than swapping them on spec.


find the right place, and they'll rebuild/exchange 'em for you.

I've found South West Electro-Diesel in Carmarthen to be a bunch who know
what they're doing.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
"The great masses of the people ... will more easily fall victims to
a great lie than to a small one" Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)
from Mein Kampf, Ch 10
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 15:01   #6 (permalink)
EMB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New injectors - what a difference

Richard Brookman wrote:
>
> I've always reckoned that injectors are one of those fix-it-if-it-breaks
> type of item. And consequently have never felt the need to do so. My
> 300Tdi has done 92,000 miles. Do you reckon changing them would be a good
> idea?
>

As others have suggested - get them tested. When I had my workshop I
test about 100 sets a year, and the ones that had been in service for
much over about 80,000km were generally showing a less than optimal
spray pattern. That said, on vehicles that were mostly doing high-speed
motorway running I saw some sets that were lasting about twice that.

--
EMB
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 15:01   #7 (permalink)
EMB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New injectors - what a difference

Huw wrote:
>
> Not unless they produce markedly more black smoke than they once did, or the
> power is down and fuel consumption up, or it is rough running. I reckon
> around 150,000 miles is reasonable before changing with the usual dollop of
> luck combined with reasonable filter maintenance. In fact my hard used 110
> naturally aspirated has done over 8000 hours on one set. 10,000 hours is
> quite normal on commercial vehicles. At 20mph average that is 200,000 miles


There seems to be a large difference in lifespan between injectors from
small high-speed diesels and those larger, lower revving engines (for
starters the large engine ones are firing less than half as often in any
given time period). I've got a set of injectors from a Cat truck engine
on the bench at the moment and they are still performing well after
300,000km, but they'll be rebuilt anyway as the engine is having a
freshen (after 1,000,000km).


--
EMB
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 15:01   #8 (permalink)
EMB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New injectors - what a difference

Austin Shackles wrote:
> find the right place, and they'll rebuild/exchange 'em for you.
>
> I've found South West Electro-Diesel in Carmarthen to be a bunch who know
> what they're doing.


It's well worth finding a place that rebuilds injectors properly -
anywhere that regrinds nozzles rather than replacing them is just
wasting your time and money as their lifespan will be fairly short.


--
EMB
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 00:01   #9 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New injectors - what a difference

On or around Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:36:00 +1300, EMB <embtwo@gmail.com>
enlightened us thusly:

>Richard Brookman wrote:
>>
>> I've always reckoned that injectors are one of those fix-it-if-it-breaks
>> type of item. And consequently have never felt the need to do so. My
>> 300Tdi has done 92,000 miles. Do you reckon changing them would be a good
>> idea?
>>

>As others have suggested - get them tested. When I had my workshop I
>test about 100 sets a year, and the ones that had been in service for
>much over about 80,000km were generally showing a less than optimal
>spray pattern. That said, on vehicles that were mostly doing high-speed
>motorway running I saw some sets that were lasting about twice that.


might be worth a look on the TDi here - currently that's at about 110,000
miles.

That or bung a few bottles of injector cleaner through it :-)
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
In Touch: Get in touch with yourself by touching yourself.
If somebody is watching, stop touching yourself.
from the Little Book of Complete B***ocks by Alistair Beaton.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 00:01   #10 (permalink)
EMB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New injectors - what a difference

Austin Shackles wrote:

> That or bung a few bottles of injector cleaner through it :-)


It's not so much dirt as the actual nozzle wearing that causes the loss
of spray pattern - injector cleaner won't help a set of injectors that
are past their best mechanically.


--
EMB
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:43.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.