New Landrovers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2002, 23:26   #1 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

New Landrovers

Land Rover is promising two new four-wheel-drives- "one you've never before seen from us" said the company. The all new model is expected to be a two door soft roader,a competitor for the Nissan X trail and Honda CR-V.The other will be a more traditional off roader positioned between the Discovery and the Range Rover. The new models are part of Land Rovers five year plan. Others include a new Freelander ,updated Discovery and new Range Rover.

Rover also seems to have it's act together.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2002, 00:09   #2 (permalink)

I wonder where the R7 would sit. I really can't see the sence in Ford building a SUV that is going to compete against Land Rover products
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 06:18   #3 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by HSE2
I wonder where the R7 would sit. I really can't see the sence in Ford building a SUV that is going to compete against Land Rover products
I have to agree too Ian. Why would Ford go up against Land Rover when they can develop a common chassis/drivetrain and perhaps go a different skin from there. Makes you wonder really..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 06:56   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Ford wants a slice of this pie. Understand that these are hot cars now in the states. 60% of cars on the road are SUV and that number is growing.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 13:01   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

It seems as if the whole of the range already goes up against Ford's own products but maybe it's a case of taking more share of the cake from the others such as Nissan ,toyota ,Honda etc.
Old 03-02-2002, 15:15   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Block Ford
It seems as if the whole of the range already goes up against Ford's own products but maybe it's a case of taking more share of the cake from the others such as Nissan ,toyota ,Honda etc.
I agree. I even thought it might impact on what Ford US SUV program might include in the future, but so far that hasn't happened.

LandRover have always hung their hat on have REAL off road ability. When it comes to the Rangie I don't really understand why that is still the case. Guess it is tradition. Since Ford acquired Land Rover they don't really have a car in the X5 segment. To me the R7 has that potential, but now Land Rover are saying we are going to do this ourselves and break tradition.

I think the R7 is going to be aimned at people that have XR8s in the garage.
But in Australia I think they need to try and get the 4x4 sector as well. Unlike the US where SUVs rule, it is real 4x4s that are the go out here. I reckon Ford are betting in a swing towards the softer type and I hope they are right.

Just in the Ford stable, can anyone explain how the R7 will impact on the explorer in Aus?
Old 03-04-2002, 01:43   #7 (permalink)
RACE

Quote:
Originally posted by FM

I have to agree too Ian. Why would Ford go up against Land Rover when they can develop a common chassis/drivetrain and perhaps go a different skin from there. Makes you wonder really..
I agree too. There could also be a chance that the technology and engineering in both makes will be shared, as well as the platform. It has been said before that the Falcon chassis is relatively cheap and robust. So why not take advantage of that.
Old 03-04-2002, 02:08   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RATT

I agree too. There could also be a chance that the technology and engineering in both makes will be shared, as well as the platform. It has been said before that the Falcon chassis is relatively cheap and robust. So why not take advantage of that.
sounds like a great idea to me. Interesting that Ford who will supply engines to Land rover aren't talking about the Falcon V8 as an option.
Old 03-04-2002, 15:52   #9 (permalink)
IainM

don't think of Ford and LR as one company, with one line up of vehicles.
they are seperate brands, each trying to put vehicles onto the market to sell as many as possible.
Using common parts, drivetrains and bodies, between brands reduces Fords market coverage, because buyers will only have a choice of one vehicle with 2 bodies, and are more likely to by from a non-ford brand.
You should also be aware that ford and LR appeal to different types of buyer with different ideas of what a "SUV" should be.
Nobody who buys a range-rover wants to think it's got the same bits underneath as a ford.
and people who buy a ford don't want to spend money on a vehicle for road use that is as good off-road as a land-rover.

Land-rover have always prided themselves on the off-road ability of all their vehicles. and for whatever reason this is what the public wants to buy. If they start selling vehicles that aren't up to that standard then sales will drop quickly.

what's an R7?

Iain
Old 03-04-2002, 16:08   #10 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Hi IainM and welcome to the forum.You make a valid point.From memory Ford has used a shared platform on other vehicles such X Type Jag and it has worked out OK but what you are saying may have also stopped some buyers from purchasing it.I feel that if Rover can pull it's weight in the market and turn a profit for Ford then it is ideal to have two different vehicles.Certain technology between the vehicles can still be shared without it being just a rebadged or reskinned vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover

Related Reading: New Landrovers