Nuts, Screws, and Bolts - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 00:31   #1 (permalink)
Bob Miller
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Nuts, Screws, and Bolts

Does anyone know of a cross reference between Land Rover part numbers and
the actual size and types of nuts bolts and screws. There are occasional
references to size and type in the Illustrated Parts Catalogue, but I really
don't fancy going through the whole thing to try and find them all!
--
MTIA

Bob Miller
1990 ex-RAF 110 3.5 V8 17KJ83
1967 3/4 ton Sankey 09ES17


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 00:31   #2 (permalink)
Rory Manton
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nuts, Screws, and Bolts

in article 3ghhvdFcc117U1@individual.net, Bob Miller at
bob.miller.nospam@ntlworld.com wrote on 6/6/05 12:07 am:

> Does anyone know of a cross reference between Land Rover part numbers and
> the actual size and types of nuts bolts and screws. There are occasional
> references to size and type in the Illustrated Parts Catalogue, but I really
> don't fancy going through the whole thing to try and find them all!



I was under the impression that Landrovers ( in particular mine) was bolted
together with the sweepings off the stock room floor!

4 ,Yes 4, different size nuts and bolts holding the exhaust downpipe onto
the manifold requiring 8 different spanners. and about 3 different sizes
holding the wings on!

I hate deep maintenence time.


Rory Manton

It's Not Pink.
It's Telemagenta



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:31   #3 (permalink)
Samuel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nuts, Screws, and Bolts

> I was under the impression that Landrovers ( in particular mine) was
bolted
> together with the sweepings off the stock room floor!
>
> 4 ,Yes 4, different size nuts and bolts holding the exhaust downpipe onto
> the manifold requiring 8 different spanners. and about 3 different sizes
> holding the wings on!
>

And that's what it was like when it come out of the factory. Landys being
landys, probably have 8 different sized bolts by now. a couple of imperial,
couple of metric, and a couple of those wonderfully useless whitworth bolts.

i have not known any other brand of car, that more consistently has non
standard fittings replacing the original ones, be it bolts, battery holders,
seat-belts. i can't decide wether it is because
A) landrover bits break quicker than most car bits
B) landrover owners are very reluctant to spend the extra money on original
parts
C) landrover owners typically have sheds full of junk, much of which can
serve any number of uses in a landrover.

Anyone got more reasons to add to the list??

Sam.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:32   #4 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nuts, Screws, and Bolts

On or around Mon, 06 Jun 2005 06:51:41 +0000, Rory Manton
<rory@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:

>4 ,Yes 4, different size nuts and bolts holding the exhaust downpipe onto
>the manifold requiring 8 different spanners. and about 3 different sizes
>holding the wings on!


can't help feeling that you've got a nonstandard one or two on the manifold
joint.

as to front wings... the ones on the 110 proved to be a mixture of 1/4"UNF,
5/16"UNF, and some odd ones that go into the funny captive nuts on the door
pillar.


In general, I found that 110 body parts were often UNF, the axles and
suspension bits tended to be metric, propshaft bolts were UNF. V8s are
(with maybe the exception of the "thor" ones, not seen one) UNF and UNC.

I don't think there are any whitworth/BSF left on the 110s, or indeed
probably the later series.

--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"
George Orwell (1903 - 1950) Animal Farm
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:32   #5 (permalink)
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nuts, Screws, and Bolts

In message <42a3ff6b$0$27799$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>
"Samuel" <samuelmcgregor@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> > I was under the impression that Landrovers ( in particular mine) was

> bolted
> > together with the sweepings off the stock room floor!
> >
> > 4 ,Yes 4, different size nuts and bolts holding the exhaust downpipe onto
> > the manifold requiring 8 different spanners. and about 3 different sizes
> > holding the wings on!
> >

> And that's what it was like when it come out of the factory. Landys being
> landys, probably have 8 different sized bolts by now. a couple of imperial,
> couple of metric, and a couple of those wonderfully useless whitworth bolts.
>
> i have not known any other brand of car, that more consistently has non
> standard fittings replacing the original ones, be it bolts, battery holders,
> seat-belts. i can't decide wether it is because
> A) landrover bits break quicker than most car bits
> B) landrover owners are very reluctant to spend the extra money on original
> parts
> C) landrover owners typically have sheds full of junk, much of which can
> serve any number of uses in a landrover.
>
> Anyone got more reasons to add to the list??
>
> Sam.
>
>


Happily for us, Land Rover owners are famous for spending a tenner
to save a pound. My favourite is people who replace the screws holding
the lights on with a small nut & bolt and then have to try and get
the unit off 3 years later.........

Richard

--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Helping keep Land Rovers on and off the road to annoy the Lib Dems
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:32   #6 (permalink)
JD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nuts, Screws, and Bolts

Samuel wrote:

>> I was under the impression that Landrovers ( in particular mine) was

> bolted
>> together with the sweepings off the stock room floor!
>>
>> 4 ,Yes 4, different size nuts and bolts holding the exhaust downpipe
>> onto
>> the manifold requiring 8 different spanners. and about 3 different sizes
>> holding the wings on!
>>

> And that's what it was like when it come out of the factory. Landys being
> landys, probably have 8 different sized bolts by now. a couple of
> imperial, couple of metric, and a couple of those wonderfully useless
> whitworth bolts.
>
> i have not known any other brand of car, that more consistently has non
> standard fittings replacing the original ones, be it bolts, battery
> holders, seat-belts. i can't decide wether it is because
> A) landrover bits break quicker than most car bits
> B) landrover owners are very reluctant to spend the extra money on
> original parts
> C) landrover owners typically have sheds full of junk, much of which can
> serve any number of uses in a landrover.
>
> Anyone got more reasons to add to the list??
>
> Sam.


D) Probably the real reason - being originally designed as a stop gap with
minimum tooling, the design can use a lot of off the shelf parts, including
bolts and nuts. If you compare where these are used with the same place on
the "ordinary" car mostly the equivalent is a special part that you can't
replace with just any bolt, or it is welded up anyway so the equivalent
bolt does not exist.
JD
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:32   #7 (permalink)
JD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nuts, Screws, and Bolts

Austin Shackles wrote:

> On or around Mon, 06 Jun 2005 06:51:41 +0000, Rory Manton
> <rory@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:
>
>>4 ,Yes 4, different size nuts and bolts holding the exhaust downpipe onto
>>the manifold requiring 8 different spanners. and about 3 different sizes
>>holding the wings on!

>
> can't help feeling that you've got a nonstandard one or two on the
> manifold joint.
>
> as to front wings... the ones on the 110 proved to be a mixture of
> 1/4"UNF, 5/16"UNF, and some odd ones that go into the funny captive nuts
> on the door pillar.
>
>
> In general, I found that 110 body parts were often UNF, the axles and
> suspension bits tended to be metric, propshaft bolts were UNF. V8s are
> (with maybe the exception of the "thor" ones, not seen one) UNF and UNC.
>
> I don't think there are any whitworth/BSF left on the 110s, or indeed
> probably the later series.
>

Even the last series had at least some BSF - one that comes to mind is the
bolts through the drive flanges into the hub, but there are probably
others. I haven't found any on my 110, but I wouldn't bet there aren't any!
JD
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:32   #8 (permalink)
Rory Manton
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nuts, Screws, and Bolts

in article fi28a1dhmmme9f7emr3uddqfiu3t0tfhjv@4ax.com, Austin Shackles at
austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net wrote on 6/6/05 8:37 am:

> On or around Mon, 06 Jun 2005 06:51:41 +0000, Rory Manton
> <rory@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:
>
>> 4 ,Yes 4, different size nuts and bolts holding the exhaust downpipe onto
>> the manifold requiring 8 different spanners. and about 3 different sizes
>> holding the wings on!

>
> can't help feeling that you've got a nonstandard one or two on the manifold
> joint.
>
>

Not now I havn't, well ,standard or no they are now all the same!

> I don't think there are any whitworth/BSF left on the 110s, or indeed
> probably the later series.



Battery clamps perhaps?

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:32   #9 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nuts, Screws, and Bolts

On or around Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:35:51 +0000, Rory Manton
<rory@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:

>in article fi28a1dhmmme9f7emr3uddqfiu3t0tfhjv@4ax.com, Austin Shackles at
>austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net wrote on 6/6/05 8:37 am:
>
>> On or around Mon, 06 Jun 2005 06:51:41 +0000, Rory Manton
>> <rory@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:
>>
>>> 4 ,Yes 4, different size nuts and bolts holding the exhaust downpipe onto
>>> the manifold requiring 8 different spanners. and about 3 different sizes
>>> holding the wings on!

>>
>> can't help feeling that you've got a nonstandard one or two on the manifold
>> joint.
>>
>>

>Not now I havn't, well ,standard or no they are now all the same!
>
>> I don't think there are any whitworth/BSF left on the 110s, or indeed
>> probably the later series.

>
>
>Battery clamps perhaps?


ah yes, some battery clamp bolts are indeed whitworth. Although I've seen
metric ones in more recent examples.

I'm fairly sure there aren't any whit/BSF on the 90/110 and discos.

--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the game"
Grantland Rice (1880-1954). my opinions are just that
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:33   #10 (permalink)
Dougal
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nuts, Screws, and Bolts

Austin Shackles wrote:

> On or around Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:35:51 +0000, Rory Manton
> <rory@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:
>
>
>>in article fi28a1dhmmme9f7emr3uddqfiu3t0tfhjv@4ax.com, Austin Shackles at
>>austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net wrote on 6/6/05 8:37 am:
>>
>>
>>>On or around Mon, 06 Jun 2005 06:51:41 +0000, Rory Manton
>>><rory@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:
>>>
>>>
>>>>4 ,Yes 4, different size nuts and bolts holding the exhaust downpipe onto
>>>>the manifold requiring 8 different spanners. and about 3 different sizes
>>>>holding the wings on!
>>>
>>>can't help feeling that you've got a nonstandard one or two on the manifold
>>>joint.
>>>
>>>

>>
>>Not now I havn't, well ,standard or no they are now all the same!
>>
>>
>>>I don't think there are any whitworth/BSF left on the 110s, or indeed
>>>probably the later series.

>>
>>
>>Battery clamps perhaps?

>
>
> ah yes, some battery clamp bolts are indeed whitworth. Although I've seen
> metric ones in more recent examples.
>
> I'm fairly sure there aren't any whit/BSF on the 90/110 and discos.


Have they changed the two under the axle pinion housing - used for the
steering damper bracket?
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:48.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.