OT-ish: why oh why? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2006, 04:01   #1 (permalink)
Matthew Maddock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
OT-ish: why oh why?

Was sat in a car park the other day in my Rangie and some bloke
came up to me and asked me to help him. He had a 4x4 (some
jap cr*p - no idea what!) and he couldn't get it to go anywhere.
Wondered if I could help.

Went over to his vehicle and started it up, popped it into D
and sure enough it just sat there doing nothing. Quick check
around and I found he'd knocked the transfer box into neutral.
"No idea what the lever does" he said. I tried to explain, but
he still didn't get it. Why do these people bother to buy a
machine they don't understand? Least you would expect was that
the dealer who sold him it would explain. In the course of the
conversation he told me he wanted a Volvo estate, but his wife
made him buy a 4x4 - he wasn't a happy bunny!

Matt
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-14-2006, 05:01   #2 (permalink)
GbH
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT-ish: why oh why?

Matthew Maddock wrote:
> Was sat in a car park the other day in my Rangie and some bloke
> came up to me and asked me to help him. He had a 4x4 (some
> jap cr*p - no idea what!) and he couldn't get it to go anywhere.
> Wondered if I could help.
>
> Went over to his vehicle and started it up, popped it into D
> and sure enough it just sat there doing nothing. Quick check
> around and I found he'd knocked the transfer box into neutral.
> "No idea what the lever does" he said. I tried to explain, but
> he still didn't get it. Why do these people bother to buy a
> machine they don't understand? Least you would expect was that
> the dealer who sold him it would explain. In the course of the
> conversation he told me he wanted a Volvo estate, but his wife
> made him buy a 4x4 - he wasn't a happy bunny!
>
> Matt


It's called catching a box full of neutrals, it can (and does) happen to the best
of us!

--
"He who says it cannot be done is advised not to interrupt her doing
it."

If at first you don't succeed,
maybe skydiving's not for you!


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:01   #3 (permalink)
Nige
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT-ish: why oh why?

GbH wrote:
> Matthew Maddock wrote:
>> Was sat in a car park the other day in my Rangie and some bloke
>> came up to me and asked me to help him. He had a 4x4 (some
>> jap cr*p - no idea what!) and he couldn't get it to go anywhere.
>> Wondered if I could help.
>>
>> Went over to his vehicle and started it up, popped it into D
>> and sure enough it just sat there doing nothing. Quick check
>> around and I found he'd knocked the transfer box into neutral.
>> "No idea what the lever does" he said. I tried to explain, but
>> he still didn't get it. Why do these people bother to buy a
>> machine they don't understand? Least you would expect was that
>> the dealer who sold him it would explain. In the course of the
>> conversation he told me he wanted a Volvo estate, but his wife
>> made him buy a 4x4 - he wasn't a happy bunny!
>>
>> Matt

>
> It's called catching a box full of neutrals, it can (and does) happen
> to the best of us!


It sure does! After coming home from holiday i did exactly the same. I shat my pants thinking the RR was
fecked for about a minute!!

Nige

--
Subaru WRX
Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:01   #4 (permalink)
Nige
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT-ish: why oh why?

Mother" <"@ {mother} @ wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:16:46 GMT, "GbH" <Geoff_Hannington@IEE.ORGasm>
> wrote:
>
>> It's called catching a box full of neutrals,

>
> It's also a fairly good theft deterrent.


Thats what i always did in the RRC. It did catch me out once, but I blame jetlag (LOL) for that!

You can just see the teefs faces with it revving like feck & you just slowly walking up to the car with a
hammer..................

--
Subaru WRX
Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:01   #5 (permalink)
Matthew Maddock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT-ish: why oh why?

> It's called catching a box full of neutrals, it can (and does) happen to the best
> of us!
>


I'm sure it does happen occasionally, we all get tripped up with
the simple things now and again, but he didn't even know what the
lever did, let alone how to operate it! Hate to think how long he
would have been sat there if he hadn't asked me to help. I just
told him to always make sure it was in the "H" position!

Matt.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:01   #6 (permalink)
edeowner@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT-ish: why oh why?


Matthew Maddock wrote:
> Was sat in a car park the other day in my Rangie and some bloke
> came up to me and asked me to help him. He had a 4x4 (some
> jap cr*p - no idea what!) and he couldn't get it to go anywhere.
> Wondered if I could help.
>
> Went over to his vehicle and started it up, popped it into D
> and sure enough it just sat there doing nothing. Quick check
> around and I found he'd knocked the transfer box into neutral.
> "No idea what the lever does" he said. I tried to explain, but
> he still didn't get it. Why do these people bother to buy a
> machine they don't understand? Least you would expect was that
> the dealer who sold him it would explain. In the course of the
> conversation he told me he wanted a Volvo estate, but his wife
> made him buy a 4x4 - he wasn't a happy bunny!
>
> Matt


I guess it's just a case of what interests you - i know there's a
washing machine in my house somewhere but i'd have to think where it
was, and i have no idea what the buttons and levers do!

Dave

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:01   #7 (permalink)
Richard Brookman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT-ish: why oh why?

....and edeowner@yahoo.com spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

>
> I guess it's just a case of what interests you - i know there's a
> washing machine in my house somewhere but i'd have to think where it
> was, and i have no idea what the buttons and levers do!
>
> Dave


That'll all have to change, by Jove yes. :-)

--
Rich
==============================
Disco 300 Tdi auto
S2a 88" SW
Tiggrr (V8 trialler)


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:01   #8 (permalink)
edeowner@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT-ish: why oh why?


Richard Brookman wrote:
> ...and edeowner@yahoo.com spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...
>
> >
> > I guess it's just a case of what interests you - i know there's a
> > washing machine in my house somewhere but i'd have to think where it
> > was, and i have no idea what the buttons and levers do!
> >
> > Dave

>
> That'll all have to change, by Jove yes. :-)
>
> --
> Rich
> ==============================
> Disco 300 Tdi auto
> S2a 88" SW
> Tiggrr (V8 trialler)


No, no, it's fine honestly, we've got an agreement, she operates the
washing machine, hoover, and dishwasher, and i get spiders out of the
bath and the stuff off the high shelves in Tescos.............

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:01   #9 (permalink)
Richard Brookman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT-ish: why oh why?

....and edeowner@yahoo.com spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...


> Richard Brookman wrote:
>> ...and edeowner@yahoo.com spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...
>>
>>>
>>> I guess it's just a case of what interests you - i know there's a
>>> washing machine in my house somewhere but i'd have to think where it
>>> was, and i have no idea what the buttons and levers do!
>>>
>>> Dave

>>
>> That'll all have to change, by Jove yes. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Rich
>> ==============================
>> Disco 300 Tdi auto
>> S2a 88" SW
>> Tiggrr (V8 trialler)

>
> No, no, it's fine honestly, we've got an agreement, she operates the
> washing machine, hoover, and dishwasher, and i get spiders out of the
> bath and the stuff off the high shelves in Tescos.............


Typical male/female 50/50 split, then :-)

--
Rich
==============================
Disco 300 Tdi auto
S2a 88" SW
Tiggrr (V8 trialler)


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:01   #10 (permalink)
edeowner@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT-ish: why oh why?

at the moment, but that ratio may change when the garage is
built...............

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:17.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.