ot. pc back up - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 02:01   #1 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
ot. pc back up

I would like to do a complete back up of my pc (two hard drives). I am using
Win XP home but it will only let me back up to floppy. Anyone know the best
way to back up to cd or dvd.

Thanks
Richard



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-23-2005, 02:01   #2 (permalink)
Steve Taylor
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rot. pc back up

Richard wrote:
> I would like to do a complete back up of my pc (two hard drives). I am using
> Win XP home but it will only let me back up to floppy. Anyone know the best
> way to back up to cd or dvd.

How big are the drives Richard ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:01   #3 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ot. pc back up

I haven't got any bundled software that came with it as I only bought the
bare drive. However, I have got Roxio Easy cd 6. Can I just drag each drive
to the bottom bit and save it all that way? ie. If I need to can I reinstall
from that?
Thanks
Richard


"Mother" <"@ {m} @"@101fc.net> wrote in message
news:4qolg1l8uvufhdqgc98ke7ofj9i6a7ls0j@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:25:23 GMT, "Richard" <NO.SPAM@AT.NOSPAM.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>Anyone know the best way to back up to cd or dvd.

>
> If you have a DVD writer you should also have some bundled software
> such as Nero. Alternatively, try Norton Ghost.
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:01   #4 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rot. pc back up

Each drive is 80Gb. There is 16Gb used on c drive and 12Gb used on d drive.
Richard



"Steve Taylor" <steve@thetaylorfamily.org.uk> wrote in message
news:430ae20d$0$930$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk...
> Richard wrote:
>> I would like to do a complete back up of my pc (two hard drives). I am
>> using Win XP home but it will only let me back up to floppy. Anyone know
>> the best way to back up to cd or dvd.

> How big are the drives Richard ?



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:01   #5 (permalink)
Paul - xxx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ot. pc back up

Richard came up with the following;:
> I would like to do a complete back up of my pc (two hard drives). I am
> using Win XP home but it will only let me back up to floppy. Anyone know
> the best way to back up to cd or dvd.


Look up Powerquests Drive Image or Norton Ghost. Though as Powerquest have
been taken over by Symantec I guess you might have to hurry to get DI. :(

I use Drive Image, but only 'cos I found it a bit easier to use ... and I
got it FOC ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:01   #6 (permalink)
Tim Hobbs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ot. pc back up

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:21:37 GMT, "Richard" <NO.SPAM@AT.NOSPAM.co.uk>
wrote:

>I haven't got any bundled software that came with it as I only bought the
>bare drive. However, I have got Roxio Easy cd 6. Can I just drag each drive
>to the bottom bit and save it all that way? ie. If I need to can I reinstall
>from that?
>Thanks
>Richard
>
>


You're going to have to reinstall Windows first and then restore all
the files (and reinstall all the applications). That's a lot of
hassle.

I strongly recommend Ghost - you can backup your machine to a DVD or 2
and then restore it in next to no time (under an hour). It's an image
of your hard drive, so everything comes back 'as was'. If you've got
a network it's even better - just back up to another machine and
restore from there.

The only gotch is to make sure that the DVD boot-time drivers under
Ghost work OK - I've had 'glitches' before!

For file backups I use HandyBackup to copy changed / new files to an
FTP site. I'm fortunate in having a 25Gb FTP account though!



--

Tim Hobbs

'58 Series 2 88" aka "Stig"
'77 101FC Ambulance aka "Burrt"
'03 Volvo V70
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:01   #7 (permalink)
AndyC the WB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ot. pc back up

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard <NO.SPAM@AT.NOSPAM.co.uk> writes:

Richard> I would like to do a complete back up of my pc (two hard
Richard> drives). I am using Win XP home but it will only let me
Richard> back up to floppy. Anyone know the best way to back up to
Richard> cd or dvd.

I bought an external USB2.0 drive for my machine, and I backup to that
with Ghost 9.0. I leave the external drive switched off except for
once a week or so when I do the backup.

If you have two drives, are you trying to back up both drives, or from
one to the other?

Andy




--
Andy Cunningham -- www.vehicle-diagnostics.co.uk
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."
--- Richard Feynman
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:01   #8 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ot. pc back up

Need to back up both drives as D drive is mainly pics, Landrovers, Holiday,
Dalek build etc.
I have been looking at an external drive and thought it was a good idea.
What make is yours?
Richard



"AndyC the WB" <spam@cunningham.me.uk> wrote in message
news:itfyt1ot9e.fsf@cunningham.me.uk...
>>>>>> "Richard" == Richard <NO.SPAM@AT.NOSPAM.co.uk> writes:

>
> Richard> I would like to do a complete back up of my pc (two hard
> Richard> drives). I am using Win XP home but it will only let me
> Richard> back up to floppy. Anyone know the best way to back up to
> Richard> cd or dvd.
>
> I bought an external USB2.0 drive for my machine, and I backup to that
> with Ghost 9.0. I leave the external drive switched off except for
> once a week or so when I do the backup.
>
> If you have two drives, are you trying to back up both drives, or from
> one to the other?
>
> Andy
>
>
>
>
> --
> Andy Cunningham -- www.vehicle-diagnostics.co.uk
> "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
> relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."
> --- Richard Feynman



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:01   #9 (permalink)
Paul - xxx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rot. pc back up

Richard came up with the following;:
> Each drive is 80Gb. There is 16Gb used on c drive and 12Gb used on d
> drive. Richard


Can't you combine all the data etc to one drive, then use an image or ghost
to copy it to the other?

Or run it as a raid array so that everything is automatically copied to the
other to ensure continuity?

Or use the hd proprietary software to copy the drive one to the other once a
week?

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:01   #10 (permalink)
Paul - xxx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rot. pc back up

Mother" <"@ {m} @ came up with the following;:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:35:28 +0100, "Paul - xxx"
> <notcheckedever@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Or run it as a raid array so that everything is automatically copied to
>> the other to ensure continuity?

>
> Windoze does software RAID???


No idea, I just know it as a solution to a similar problem our office had
but which was implemented by others.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:21.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.