OT ROT Network Security - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2005, 08:01   #1 (permalink)
rads
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
OT ROT Network Security

I need a software solution to stop one particular user on our network
downloading and running cr*p on his pc.

Not dangerous and malicious stuff which the firewall and av software
should catch, just the annoying useless tat which ends up clogging
machines, hogging resources and wasting my time when I have to go and
clean the damn thing up again.

(You will have guess by now that the network is small and informal,
and network admin is not my job, just something I do!).

What I want is a piece of software something like the XP download
nagger ("some software can be dangerous do you really want to download
this?") which pops up and asks for a password to continue with the
download, or else a setting in IE which just disables the facility to
pull software off the net.

Machine is running Win98se, IE6.0 SP1.

I ought to mention that my preferred solution of repeatedly poking the
muppet with a sharp stick until he desists has already been rejected
by management.

David
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-06-2005, 09:01   #2 (permalink)
Pacman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT ROT Network Security


"rads" <radsxxunspamxx@davidradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:tk7rh1h9dq5j1f5a0htahjs45s7dk83hmb@4ax.com...
>I need a software solution to stop one particular user on our network
> downloading and running cr*p on his pc.
>

<snip>

go to Internet options, then Security, then Custom level. Scroll down to
file download, then choose Disable. make sure you do this without him
seeing otherwise he'll go back and change it back again.
>
> Machine is running Win98se, IE6.0 SP1.
>

Surely time for an upgrade? If it was 2000 or XP and youre running Active
Directory then you could force the above setting upon him and he'd have no
choice in the matter...

> I ought to mention that my preferred solution of repeatedly poking the
> muppet with a sharp stick until he desists has already been rejected
> by management.


if he's not doing his job properly, surely management should have a word
with him!



--
--
Thanks,
Paul
--------------------
1992 RRC Vogue SE


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:01   #3 (permalink)
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT ROT Network Security

rads <radsxxunspamxx@davidradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>I ought to mention that my preferred solution of repeatedly poking the
>muppet with a sharp stick until he desists has already been rejected
>by management.


Why not simply asking the management for some straight rules, and when
they are violated the first time, the guy gets a harsh letter not to
do this any more, and on the second occasion he gets fired?! Technical
solutions just lead to (paid!) time consuming attempts to defeat them,
and it should not be necessary to spend hours and days to block
content while some simple rules could solve the problem within two
hours...
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:01   #4 (permalink)
rads
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT ROT Network Security

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:16:12 +0200, "Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS"
<dk5ras@dk5ras.de> wrote:

>rads <radsxxunspamxx@davidradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I ought to mention that my preferred solution of repeatedly poking the
>>muppet with a sharp stick until he desists has already been rejected
>>by management.

>
>Why not simply asking the management for some straight rules, and when
>they are violated the first time, the guy gets a harsh letter not to
>do this any more, and on the second occasion he gets fired?! Technical
>solutions just lead to (paid!) time consuming attempts to defeat them,
>and it should not be necessary to spend hours and days to block
>content while some simple rules could solve the problem within two
>hours...


Heartily agree.

However, it just ain't going to happen.

Have applied pacman's solution for now.

Have also left Martyn's link on the destop but suspect he will be
having a 747 moment when he reads it.

David
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:01   #5 (permalink)
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT ROT Network Security

rads wrote:
> I need a software solution to stop one particular user on our network
> downloading and running cr*p on his pc.


I have found that blocking web-sites domains etc, at the firewall seems
to help, not just from abusers (not that we have any at present) but
blocking all the web-sites of those crappy "free (I'll spy on your
browsing) fun utillites" which like to report back to customise
displayed adverts etc.

Now and again I scan the firewall log to see what un-recognised sites
are being accessed frequently and just block them.

Spotting favourite sites from IP add. of user would be a good starting
place. As his sites keep dropping he may eventually get the message.

or just ban access to any website that is suffixed with .com

:)

--
http://gymratz.co.uk - Best Gym Equipment & Bodybuilding Supplements UK.
http://trade-price-supplements.co.uk - TRADE PRICED SUPPLEMENTS for ALL!
http://fitness-equipment-uk.com - UK's No.1 Fitness Equipment Suppliers.
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 13:01   #6 (permalink)
SiK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT ROT Network Security


"rads" <radsxxunspamxx@davidradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:tk7rh1h9dq5j1f5a0htahjs45s7dk83hmb@4ax.com...
>I need a software solution to stop one particular user on our network
> downloading and running cr*p on his pc.
>
> Not dangerous and malicious stuff which the firewall and av software
> should catch, just the annoying useless tat which ends up clogging
> machines, hogging resources and wasting my time when I have to go and
> clean the damn thing up again.
>
> (You will have guess by now that the network is small and informal,
> and network admin is not my job, just something I do!).
>
> What I want is a piece of software something like the XP download
> nagger ("some software can be dangerous do you really want to download
> this?") which pops up and asks for a password to continue with the
> download, or else a setting in IE which just disables the facility to
> pull software off the net.
>
> Machine is running Win98se, IE6.0 SP1.
>
> I ought to mention that my preferred solution of repeatedly poking the
> muppet with a sharp stick until he desists has already been rejected
> by management.
>
> David


enterprise activity monitor from omniquad

www.omniquad.com

doddle to setup and really useful too

i run 2000 desktops with it on

and if you do use it, make sure to tell them Si Kellow recommended you


Si


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 14:02   #7 (permalink)
PDannyD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT ROT Network Security

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 15:35,
rads(radsxxunspamxx@davidradley.freeserve.co.uk) wrote in message
<tk7rh1h9dq5j1f5a0htahjs45s7dk83hmb@4ax.com>

> I need a software solution to stop one particular user on our network
> downloading and running cr*p on his pc.


An office/work network I take it?

> Not dangerous and malicious stuff which the firewall and av software
> should catch, just the annoying useless tat which ends up clogging
> machines, hogging resources and wasting my time when I have to go and
> clean the damn thing up again.


Make them do it.

> I ought to mention that my preferred solution of repeatedly poking the
> muppet with a sharp stick until he desists has already been rejected
> by management.


Sack him/her for misuse of company equipment. Seriously, it's gross
misconduct. People like that are the biggest security risk on a network.

They are costing money to fix something which they are not supposed to be
doing and have been instructed not to do. I used to work in an office which
had about 30 Windows PCs and the few people who ignored instructions and
downloaded whatever they wanted were the biggest wastes of space we had
ever seen.

Get rid of the source of the problem instead of wasting time and money
fixing the problems they cause.

Anyway, you can't lock someone out of Windows98 because the file system
doesn't support it. You could switch to a Linux system or maybe XP/2000 but
really why should you go to that effort and expense because of them?

Can you move his/her desk so that you can watch what they are doing?

Alternatively remove all network access and let the everone know who is the
cause.

--
2001 FZS600 - Silver/Black
1974 SIII Land Rover - Hardtop 2.25 Petrol, Green
1954 Ford 100E Prefect - Black
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:01   #8 (permalink)
EMB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT ROT Network Security

Mother wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:35:53 GMT, rads
> <radsxxunspamxx@davidradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>
>>I ought to mention that my preferred solution of repeatedly poking the
>>muppet with a sharp stick until he desists has already been rejected
>>by management.

>
>
> Hmm... Sounds like an id-IOt interface error to me:
>
> www.id-iot.com
>


Thanks for that - I've forwarded the URL to a couple of my more painful
users. Hopefully they'll get the message.

--
EMB
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:01   #9 (permalink)
Simon Isaacs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT ROT Network Security

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 10:04:18 +0100, Mother <"@ {mother} @"@101fc.net>
scribbled the following nonsense:

>On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 19:22:08 +1200, EMB <embtwo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Hmm... Sounds like an id-IOt interface error to me:
>>>
>>> www.id-iot.com

>>
>>Thanks for that - I've forwarded the URL to a couple of my more painful
>>users. Hopefully they'll get the message.

>
>The difference between a computer and a user being...
>
>...you only need to punch information into a computer once.


have you got a spare keyboard I can nick this afternoon, you now owe
me one........
--

Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Newsletter Editor and Webmaster
Green Lane Association (GLASS) Commercial Officer
101 Ambi, undsergoing camper conversion
Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, Fully restored, ready for sale! Make me an offer!
Suzuki SJ410 (Wife's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT
Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next
1993 200 TDi Discovery
1994 200 TDi Discovery body sheel, being bobbed and modded.....
1979 Range Ruster body shell and chassis
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 16:02   #10 (permalink)
Tom Woods
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OT ROT Network Security

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:53:16 +0100, "Pacman" <p_a_cherry@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> Machine is running Win98se, IE6.0 SP1.
>>

>Surely time for an upgrade? If it was 2000 or XP and youre running Active
>Directory then you could force the above setting upon him and he'd have no
>choice in the matter...


You can force group policy settings on locally too y'know. You dont
need to be in an active directory domain. Just run 'gpedit.msc'. Dont
lock the machine down too far else you will have fun undoing the
changes!

>--


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:53.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.