OTish- Useful PDA toys. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 00:35   #1 (permalink)
Lee_D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
OTish- Useful PDA toys.

Just got my first PDA.... I know how my Dad felt when he got his first Video
now ;-) ....ok perhaphs I exagerate a bit. Anyway... anyone recommend any
useful toys relevant to our hobby?

Is there a way to view acrobat files such as manuals? That would be handy
when we go on the continent save carrying shed loads of stuff.

It's running Medion-Navigator 4.2 - Any pointers to idiots guides to help me
install POI for LPG forecourts / Dealers would be mucho appreciated. Surfed
last night but was swapped with informantion to the point I confused myself.

Any other useful favorite utilities then please let me know.

Lee D

--

www.lrproject.com

Workshop photos from Landrover repairs
& other such tinkerings.
Home of Percy the Jag powered Landrover


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 00:35   #2 (permalink)
Martin Lewis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OTish- Useful PDA toys.

"Lee_D" <newsgroupNOSPAM@NOSPAMlrproject.com> wrote in message
news:3grn8vFe0kcsU1@individual.net...
> Just got my first PDA.... I know how my Dad felt when he got his first
> Video now ;-) ....ok perhaphs I exagerate a bit. Anyway... anyone
> recommend any useful toys relevant to our hobby?
>
> Is there a way to view acrobat files such as manuals? That would be handy
> when we go on the continent save carrying shed loads of stuff.
>
> It's running Medion-Navigator 4.2 - Any pointers to idiots guides to help
> me install POI for LPG forecourts / Dealers would be mucho appreciated.
> Surfed last night but was swapped with informantion to the point I
> confused myself.
>
> Any other useful favorite utilities then please let me know.
>
> Lee D


You can get Adobe PDF reader from
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html. Just select Pocket PC
from the Platform list (3rd one down). Seems to work fine for me on my iPaq.

Martin
--
1988 90 Td5 Converted NAS Replica
www.web-rover.co.uk


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:35   #3 (permalink)
Lee_D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OTish- Useful PDA toys.

"Martin Lewis" <ml338@nospam-remove.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:d8aa3r$8vt$1@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk...
> "Lee_D" <newsgroupNOSPAM@NOSPAMlrproject.com> wrote in message


> You can get Adobe PDF reader from
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html. Just select Pocket
> PC from the Platform list (3rd one down). Seems to work fine for me on my
> iPaq.
>
> Martin
> --
> 1988 90 Td5 Converted NAS Replica
> www.web-rover.co.uk
>


Martin...I think I love you ;0)... I've now got my 101 manuals on there so I
can bemuse the parts people without having to do charades anymore. Result!

I had trouble bunging the files over to the card direct for some unknown
reason what ever the sync program is didn't like to do it direct but once I
put it in the machines memory then slid it over to the card it was fine....
I can feel a few memory cards comming on now :0)

Lee D


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:35   #4 (permalink)
Nige
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OTish- Useful PDA toys.

Lee_D wrote:
> Just got my first PDA.... I know how my Dad felt when he got his
> first Video now ;-) ....ok perhaphs I exagerate a bit. Anyway...
> anyone recommend any useful toys relevant to our hobby?
>
> Is there a way to view acrobat files such as manuals? That would be
> handy when we go on the continent save carrying shed loads of stuff.
>
> It's running Medion-Navigator 4.2 - Any pointers to idiots guides to
> help me install POI for LPG forecourts / Dealers would be mucho
> appreciated. Surfed last night but was swapped with informantion to
> the point I confused myself.
> Any other useful favorite utilities then please let me know.
>
> Lee D


Which did you get & how much Lee?

Ta

Nige

--
Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:35   #5 (permalink)
Lee_D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OTish- Useful PDA toys.

"Nige" <nigel.inceBUGGEROFF@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:3gsrc4Fe7k9aU1@individual.net...
> Which did you get & how much Lee?
>
> Ta
>
> Nige
>
> --
> Subaru WRX (Annabel)
>
> Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)
>
> '"Say hello to my little friend"
>


I got a Mio as it comes...

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/Mio-168-GPS-Pocket-PC.aspx

a friend has allowed me to try theirs for some time with Medion Navigator
on. I've purchased my own software though through E-bay with the europe
Disks too for our tours with the Caravan.

It's down side is lack of expansion sockets , but then I purchased on a
budget so you get what you pay for. Toys like acrobat reader may just pay
for the unit themselves one day as I can now carry all my acrobat manuals on
MMC card.

Alot of it's features like calendar etc are for me gimmicks at the moment,
fun to fiddle with but the high chance of loosing all your data with PDA
battery power and the Mios vulnerable on switch being a high probability
then I'll stick to a paper diary for now... though it's very handy when
working fine.

I specifically got the unit to use for the car navigation with flexibility
to go on foot or use OS maps too. Anything else is a bonus / toy.

Oh and it does do email / squashed internet via the infra red link to my
Nokia (the Mio doesn't have bluetooth - least this 168)

Lee D


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:35   #6 (permalink)
Dave Liquorice
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OTish- Useful PDA toys.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:48:32 +0100, Lee_D wrote:

> I specifically got the unit to use for the car navigation with
> flexibility to go on foot or use OS maps too.


Oohhh, foot GPS navigation and OS maps? If so what scale OS maps?

--
Cheers new5pam@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:35   #7 (permalink)
Ian Rawlings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OTish- Useful PDA toys.

On 2005-06-10, Dave Liquorice <new5pam@howhill.com> wrote:

> Oohhh, foot GPS navigation and OS maps? If so what scale OS maps?


You can get a product called "memory map" that does OS maps to 1:50000
for the whole country, and you can buy add-on maps to go down to
1:25000 or up.

(hope those are the right scales, I mean the 1:50000 is the equivalent
of the OS Explorer maps while the 1:25000 is the equivalent of the the
landranger maps. Might be a few too many 0's in there.)

You can also send parts of the maps down to a PDA apparently, not
tried that though.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:35   #8 (permalink)
sylva@despammed.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OTish- Useful PDA toys.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:17:40 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
<new5pam@howhill.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:48:32 +0100, Lee_D wrote:
>
>> I specifically got the unit to use for the car navigation with
>> flexibility to go on foot or use OS maps too.

>
>Oohhh, foot GPS navigation and OS maps? If so what scale OS maps?


You can snatch 1:25000 .png images from the OS site, they are just
about ok quality, if you comply with their terms. I tend to download a
few and print them on A4 with the waypoints marked and uploaded to my
12xl.

AJH

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:35   #9 (permalink)
Danny Clarke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OTish- Useful PDA toys.

Hi there!

I have a compaq ipaq and use TOM TOM.

I use "checkpoint" which provides a full updated LPG Forecourt & Non-
Forecourt overlay. Running low on LPG "Navigate to.... gets me a list
(nearest to farthest away). It's brilliant.

Go to http://checkpoint.oabsoftware.nl/

Also has all the speed cameras :-)

Regards,

Dan.


"Lee_D" <newsgroupNOSPAM@NOSPAMlrproject.com> wrote in
news:3grn8vFe0kcsU1@individual.net:

> Just got my first PDA.... I know how my Dad felt when he got his first
> Video now ;-) ....ok perhaphs I exagerate a bit. Anyway... anyone
> recommend any useful toys relevant to our hobby?
>
> Is there a way to view acrobat files such as manuals? That would be
> handy when we go on the continent save carrying shed loads of stuff.
>
> It's running Medion-Navigator 4.2 - Any pointers to idiots guides to
> help me install POI for LPG forecourts / Dealers would be mucho
> appreciated. Surfed last night but was swapped with informantion to
> the point I confused myself.
>
> Any other useful favorite utilities then please let me know.
>
> Lee D
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:35   #10 (permalink)
Dave Liquorice
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: OTish- Useful PDA toys.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:07:49 +0100, sylva@despammed.com wrote:

>> Oohhh, foot GPS navigation and OS maps? If so what scale OS maps?

>
> You can snatch 1:25000 .png images from the OS site, they are just
> about ok quality, ...


How does the GPS navigation software know where to plot the "You are
here" splodge on a .png?

--
Cheers new5pam@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:59.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.