Ping: Derry Argue or Larry - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2005, 07:01   #1 (permalink)
Mark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Ping: Derry Argue or Larry

Having previously posted that my Defender Double cab had been stolen, it has
now been found. However I am now about to start the old Approved Repairers
assesment of repairs versus Approved Cash Value game.
I have read an old thread relaitng to Derry's D90 and would appreciate any
advice derry could give. I saw no final conclusion as to whether Derry
eventually bought his own car back in the end as salvage.
Secondly I have read a thread of Larry's on Alt.autism with regards the S111
and somebody smacking into it last easter, I was curious to know whther you
had it repaired through insurance in the end or just fixed it up yourself.
Especially as yhou only live a few streets away from me Larry, and I still
haven't quite worked out where yet, I reckon you must have a garage.
Especially as your not the bloke with the Green S111 that is now a black
Range rover classic.

Anybody elses comments and advice on the whole insurance claim repair/write
off/buy back scenario would also be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark Stokes
TD5 110 Double Cab (Y437 JFO) Kidnapped and held to ransom
2.5 N/A OneTen (E450 TFL) The front Shed
200 TDI Discovery (H415 UAO) On loan pending replacement of kidnapped
Vehicle
1.0L Toyota Yaris - Courtesy vehicle from insurers, which would fit in the
back of my defender!


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-07-2005, 07:01   #2 (permalink)
Lee_D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Derry Argue or Larry

"Mark" <mark@_nospam_sleepybubble.com> wrote in message
news:d5ifa5$qkn$1$830fa7a5@news.demon.co.uk...
> Anybody elses comments and advice on the whole insurance claim
> repair/write
> off/buy back scenario would also be appreciated.



I have but I was the Third party so to speak, so it was down to the other
insurance company to put things right or recompense.

I think it's a slightly different kettle of fish when claiming on your own
insurance but It'll boil down to the small print in the end.

I printed off a ream of like vehicles from Autotrader when haggling for the
best compo pay out on my Range Rover. In the end settled for 400 being the
scrap value and a pay out of 2100 which reflected in my argueing it would
cost 2500 (at the cheap end) to get a similar replacement , similar milage
and similar condition (pre collision!).

They initially offered a total including the scrap value of 1900. I told
them I wasn't as green as I was cabbage looking and that it was an insult.
They suggested that was whatever book price they were using. I advised them
that I was not going to settle at that, pointed them in the direction of the
autotrader ads and advised them that either they come up with a realistic
offer or replace the car , the choice was theirs. The chap uttered something
about possibilty of ending up in court to resolve before again giving the
hard push on his origional offer. I re-explained my view and the thousands
I'd spent on the Range rover in recent years which I had all the reciepts
for. He called back around an hour later and settled as above 2500 all in.

I think I spent 600 on parts and the rest went on my labour :0)

After last nights collision I couldn't be arsed, but then it's a tin of
filler and an indicator unit away from being repaired as the vehicle needs a
respray after the earlier collision. If nothing else shows I'm not making a
business from the misery of collisions. I have left the invoice with the
other driver to pay for the indicator and side light unit.

Lee D


  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 09:01   #3 (permalink)
Derry Argue
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ping: Derry Argue or Larry

"Mark" <mark@_nospam_sleepybubble.com> wrote in
news:d5ifa5$qkn$1$830fa7a5@news.demon.co.uk:

> I saw no final conclusion as to whether Derry
> eventually bought his own car back in the end as salvage.


Yes, I did.

Initially, the insurers told me it "wasn't policy" to sell the salvage. I
did a search and found an independent assessor who gave me a lot of good
advice. Sorry, I have since got a new computer so can't give you a link but
it is worth doing some searches and telephoning around for advice.

The short story is that the salvage is yours -- unless you have accepted
money. I can be quite difficult <g> and I think the insurers decided it
wasn't worth the hassle, so they sold me the salvage in the end! I
understand that they will usually have a contract with a breaker who takes
these vehicles at a fixed price. It is easier for the insurers to work like
this, until an owner comes along who won't play the game!

My D90 was "assessed" and reckoned to be worth repairing. When I heard who
was going to repair it, I put my foot down. (The last time that garage did
work for me, they sent the vehicle back with no oil in the gearbox!). A
week later, they had decided the chassis was twisted on two planes and it
was a write off.

Briefly, the insurers settled to pay out the value I'd declared which was
the purchase price I paid at the time - 3,500, less 100 excess. I bought
the salvage for 650 - their valuation and I wasn't going to haggle. The
engine alone in a 1992 200Tdi with 60,000 miles must be worth a grand and I
had someone lined up to buy it if I had wanted to sell. However, I got
local repairers to check the chassis and they declared it was sound! So I
bought a secondhand rear tub for 150 (thanks Jason), spent another 100
for delivery. Replaced the rear cross member (which needed replacing
anyway) -- another 150, and a few other odds and ends. All my own time and
labour. I have never worked out the figures but I must be well ahead<g>.

The registration documents "could not be found". So I sent the original
slip from the seller to the DVLA and got replacements. No mention of being
a write off on the replacement documents and nothing on the DVLA computer
to that effect. Sailed through the MOT and later sold the vehicle for
4,350 to a delighted purchaser. Purchaser, incidentally, is local and
known to me and he remains delighted and a friend! I have since purchased
an "R" reg 300Tdi.

Hope this helps. Don't let 'em grind you down!

Derry
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:01   #4 (permalink)
Mark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ping: Derry Argue or Larry


"Derry Argue" <home@adviegundogs.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Xns964FA9DEB172Fderryadviegundogscou@130.133.1.4...
> "Mark" <mark@_nospam_sleepybubble.com> wrote in
> news:d5ifa5$qkn$1$830fa7a5@news.demon.co.uk:
>
> > I saw no final conclusion as to whether Derry
> > eventually bought his own car back in the end as salvage.

>
> Yes, I did.
>
> Initially, the insurers told me it "wasn't policy" to sell the salvage. I
> did a search and found an independent assessor who gave me a lot of good
> advice. Sorry, I have since got a new computer so can't give you a link

but
> it is worth doing some searches and telephoning around for advice.
>
> The short story is that the salvage is yours -- unless you have accepted
> money. I can be quite difficult <g> and I think the insurers decided it
> wasn't worth the hassle, so they sold me the salvage in the end! I
> understand that they will usually have a contract with a breaker who takes
> these vehicles at a fixed price. It is easier for the insurers to work

like
> this, until an owner comes along who won't play the game!
>
> My D90 was "assessed" and reckoned to be worth repairing. When I heard who
> was going to repair it, I put my foot down. (The last time that garage did
> work for me, they sent the vehicle back with no oil in the gearbox!). A
> week later, they had decided the chassis was twisted on two planes and it
> was a write off.
>
> Briefly, the insurers settled to pay out the value I'd declared which was
> the purchase price I paid at the time - 3,500, less 100 excess. I bought
> the salvage for 650 - their valuation and I wasn't going to haggle. The
> engine alone in a 1992 200Tdi with 60,000 miles must be worth a grand and

I
> had someone lined up to buy it if I had wanted to sell. However, I got
> local repairers to check the chassis and they declared it was sound! So I
> bought a secondhand rear tub for 150 (thanks Jason), spent another 100
> for delivery. Replaced the rear cross member (which needed replacing
> anyway) -- another 150, and a few other odds and ends. All my own time

and
> labour. I have never worked out the figures but I must be well ahead<g>.
>
> The registration documents "could not be found". So I sent the original
> slip from the seller to the DVLA and got replacements. No mention of being
> a write off on the replacement documents and nothing on the DVLA computer
> to that effect. Sailed through the MOT and later sold the vehicle for
> 4,350 to a delighted purchaser. Purchaser, incidentally, is local and
> known to me and he remains delighted and a friend! I have since purchased
> an "R" reg 300Tdi.
>
> Hope this helps. Don't let 'em grind you down!
>
> Derry


Derry,

Thanks, much helpful and encouraging advice. I shall wait and see what the
first move by the insurers is going to be now. The only reason I am looking
into the whole economical write off thing is because the car was fairly new
2001, and it seems to have sustained damage to every single body panel and
there appears to be something badly wrong with one of the rear wheels.
Body damage I could live with and the pay out on a total loss less whatever
the salvage value would certainly be useful.
We'll see I guess.....

Mark


  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:01   #5 (permalink)
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Derry Argue or Larry

I paid for it myself in the end as I didn't want to go through the business
of estimates, approved repairers as an insurance job would have required far
more doing than was strictly necessary to get it roadworthy again.

I went so far as to get a claim form for the third party damage I did to the
hedge at Christmas, but decided that was not really worth the bother either.

No I don't keep it in a garage, there are lots of land rovers around here
and mine is sitting out there in the street right now (I hope)

--
Larry
Series 3 rust and holes




"Mark" <mark@_nospam_sleepybubble.com> wrote in message
news:d5ifa5$qkn$1$830fa7a5@news.demon.co.uk...
> Having previously posted that my Defender Double cab had been stolen, it

has
> now been found. However I am now about to start the old Approved Repairers
> assesment of repairs versus Approved Cash Value game.
> I have read an old thread relaitng to Derry's D90 and would appreciate any
> advice derry could give. I saw no final conclusion as to whether Derry
> eventually bought his own car back in the end as salvage.
> Secondly I have read a thread of Larry's on Alt.autism with regards the

S111
> and somebody smacking into it last easter, I was curious to know whther

you
> had it repaired through insurance in the end or just fixed it up yourself.
> Especially as yhou only live a few streets away from me Larry, and I still
> haven't quite worked out where yet, I reckon you must have a garage.
> Especially as your not the bloke with the Green S111 that is now a black
> Range rover classic.
>
> Anybody elses comments and advice on the whole insurance claim

repair/write
> off/buy back scenario would also be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark Stokes
> TD5 110 Double Cab (Y437 JFO) Kidnapped and held to ransom
> 2.5 N/A OneTen (E450 TFL) The front Shed
> 200 TDI Discovery (H415 UAO) On loan pending replacement of kidnapped
> Vehicle
> 1.0L Toyota Yaris - Courtesy vehicle from insurers, which would fit in the
> back of my defender!
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 15:01   #6 (permalink)
Derry Argue
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ping: Derry Argue or Larry

"Mark" <mark@_nospam_sleepybubble.com> wrote in
news:d5ivct$7fd$1$830fa795@news.demon.co.uk:

>
> Body damage I could live with and the pay out on a total loss less
> whatever the salvage value would certainly be useful.
>


That would seem to be the sensible way to go. I am sure you will have a
rough idea of what the salvagable bits would be worth if you sold them and
can compare that to what you'll have to pay for the salvage. Just remember
it is your vehicle up until the time when you agree otherwise and take the
money although they may try to convince you otherwise!

Derry
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:16.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.