Range Rover Classic rear cross member info needed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2005, 03:01   #1 (permalink)
Pete Young
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Range Rover Classic rear cross member info needed

Looks like the rear cross member on my Range Rover Classic
has succumbed to rust. I'll take off the towing hitch and
bumper to have a proper look, but the outriggers that hold
up the rear body are completely rotten.

It doesn't seem to make much sense to spend 4 or 500 quid
having it done by a garage.

Assuming I have to replace the whole lot, what kind of a
job is it? Looks like the bumper, tailgate and rear floor
need to come out, probably the fuel tank? What about the
rear body? Anything else?

If nothing else, it's an excuse to finally get to grips
with the MIG welder!

-- Pete
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-23-2005, 11:02   #2 (permalink)
Dougal
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Range Rover Classic rear cross member info needed

Pete Young wrote:
> Looks like the rear cross member on my Range Rover Classic
> has succumbed to rust. I'll take off the towing hitch and
> bumper to have a proper look, but the outriggers that hold
> up the rear body are completely rotten.
>
> It doesn't seem to make much sense to spend 4 or 500 quid
> having it done by a garage.
>
> Assuming I have to replace the whole lot, what kind of a
> job is it? Looks like the bumper, tailgate and rear floor
> need to come out, probably the fuel tank? What about the
> rear body? Anything else?
>
> If nothing else, it's an excuse to finally get to grips
> with the MIG welder!
>
> -- Pete


Before we come up with suggestions can you clarify if it is the
crossmember above the two rubber mounts (i.e. the bit that is actually
part of the body) or the crossmember that is below the two rubber mounts
(and which is part of the chassis) that you are describing?

Dougal

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:01   #3 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Range Rover Classic rear cross member info needed

Dougal wrote:

>
>
> Before we come up with suggestions can you clarify if it is the
> crossmember above the two rubber mounts (i.e. the bit that is actually
> part of the body) or the crossmember that is below the two rubber mounts
> (and which is part of the chassis) that you are describing?
>
> Dougal
>


Very good question! On my 'Y' reg RRC the bottom half of the rear
frame, i.e. the bit above the rubber mounts, rotted. Boy, was it a
game patching that. I /very/ briefly toyed with the idea of replacing
the frame and then found a /very/ good welder.

BOL

Richard
--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by

http://www.diyprojects.info
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:01   #4 (permalink)
Pete Young
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Range Rover Classic rear cross member info needed

On 2005-03-23, Dougal <DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

> Before we come up with suggestions can you clarify if it is the
> crossmember above the two rubber mounts (i.e. the bit that is actually
> part of the body) or the crossmember that is below the two rubber mounts
> (and which is part of the chassis) that you are describing?


My apologies. It is the rear body crossmember, the part that sits
above the two rubber mounts. The chassis and the mounting brackets
themselves are solid.

-- Pete
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:01   #5 (permalink)
Autolycus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Range Rover Classic rear cross member info needed


"Pete Young" <pete@antipope.dot.org> wrote in message
news:slrnd4522b.hhr.pete@server30077.uk2net.com...
> On 2005-03-23, Dougal <DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Before we come up with suggestions can you clarify if it is the
>> crossmember above the two rubber mounts (i.e. the bit that is
>> actually
>> part of the body) or the crossmember that is below the two rubber
>> mounts
>> (and which is part of the chassis) that you are describing?

>
> My apologies. It is the rear body crossmember, the part that sits
> above the two rubber mounts. The chassis and the mounting brackets
> themselves are solid.
>

It is a pig of a job. You either do it the official way, and remove the
entire squarish frame, which means removing little things like the roof,
or you can use one of the repair sections that Paddock and the rest
sell. There are then several problems: if you remove enough of the old
one to fit all the new piece, there's still a hell of a lot of
dismantling to get access to weld it, or you can chop the new one around
so that it splices into the old one at the ends - if there's enough left
to weld to. In both cases, you have to prop the rear of the body to make
sure the tailgate aperture stays the same shape and size. You'll need to
remove the rear floor and petrol tank, and those jobs can reveal more
problems. Don't forget to buy new bolts, washers, and mounting rubbers.

My present one is crumbling somewhat, and I'm contemplating an
alternative approach. Would it be feasible to weld the body solidly to
the chassis in this area, bypassing the rubber mounts completely? I'm
never going to want to remove the body, and I'll put up with a bit more
vibration transmission if it enables me to avoid this miserable job.
Yet another possibility: choose your garage right, and it's not an MoT
failure, so perhaps it can be left to rust in peace - after all, the
body is held on in at least 8 more places.


--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. mar2005@mainbeam.co.uk)***
Car Transport by Tiltbed Trailer - based near Derby



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 13:01   #6 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Range Rover Classic rear cross member info needed

Autolycus wrote:

>
> "
>>

> It is a pig of a job.



Yep.

But my welder made up dozens of little plates and welded them into place
without any dismantling at all. You couldn't see them without carefull
peering. He really is a really good welder!

Richard

--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by

http://www.diyprojects.info
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:01   #7 (permalink)
Pete Young
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Range Rover Classic rear cross member info needed

On 2005-03-24, Autolycus <nov2004@mainbeam.co.uk> wrote:

> It is a pig of a job.
>


Thanks for the information. I think it's probably more than I
can take on at the moment.

> Yet another possibility: choose your garage right, and it's not an MoT
> failure, so perhaps it can be left to rust in peace - after all, the
> body is held on in at least 8 more places.


Hm. This brings back happy memories of the tester who failed it
a couple of years ago because the rust on the inner wing was
supposedly within a foot of the top shock absorber mount.

-- Pete

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:37.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.