Re: More on the digital dash.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2005, 14:01   #1 (permalink)
Tim Hobbs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the digital dash....

>2 x 2Gig ones of these:
>http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/prodt...8161&ft=d&st=1
>


2 x 2 Gb? What sort of bloatware are you running on that...

:-)

Still, it'll never work.

;-)


--

Tim Hobbs

'58 Series 2 88" aka "Stig"
'77 101FC Ambulance aka "Burrt"
'03 Volvo V70
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-23-2005, 11:01   #2 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the digital dash....

On or around Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:55:58 +0100, Tim Hobbs <tim@spam.com>
enlightened us thusly:

>>2 x 2Gig ones of these:
>>http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/prodt...8161&ft=d&st=1
>>

>
>2 x 2 Gb? What sort of bloatware are you running on that...


XP pro, probably.

Mind, just bought the latest round of "Cossacks" (http://www.cossacks.de)
which needs 2GB of disk space to install, 768MB and 128MB graphics are only
just adequate to run it, on a 1.9GHz athlon.

bloody big softare.

interestingly, their minimum spec is 512MB/64MB - I tried it on this machine
with a 64MB graphics card, and all I can say is I'd hate to try and run it
on the minimum spec machine they claim it'll run on. I reckon this one
could do with more ram, really - trouble is, 's one of these modern mobos
with only 2 ram slots, so upping the ram means removing 256MB that's already
there, and substituting something else - in which case, there's hardly any
point in getting one less than 1GB, which are about 50+ quid ATM.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
"I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine... War is hell"
Gen. Sherman (1820-1891) Attr. words in Address at Michigan Military
Academy, 19 June 1879.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:02   #3 (permalink)
Alex
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: More on the digital dash....

>
>Mind, just bought the latest round of "Cossacks" (http://www.cossacks.de)
>which needs 2GB of disk space to install, 768MB and 128MB graphics are only
>just adequate to run it, on a 1.9GHz athlon.
>
>bloody big softare.
>
>interestingly, their minimum spec is 512MB/64MB - I tried it on this machine
>with a 64MB graphics card, and all I can say is I'd hate to try and run it
>on the minimum spec machine they claim it'll run on. I reckon this one
>could do with more ram, really - trouble is, 's one of these modern mobos
>with only 2 ram slots, so upping the ram means removing 256MB that's already
>there, and substituting something else - in which case, there's hardly any
>point in getting one less than 1GB, which are about 50+ quid ATM.


1.9Ghz, 786Meg? Why are you running such antiquated hardware? Treat
yourself to a new pc

:D

Alex

PS. Mine has 1.5Gb in it, and still one slot spare......
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 13:01   #4 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the digital dash....

On or around Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:07:39 GMT, Alex <nospam.alex@cbmsys.co.uk>
enlightened us thusly:

>>
>>Mind, just bought the latest round of "Cossacks" (http://www.cossacks.de)
>>which needs 2GB of disk space to install, 768MB and 128MB graphics are only
>>just adequate to run it, on a 1.9GHz athlon.
>>
>>bloody big softare.
>>
>>interestingly, their minimum spec is 512MB/64MB - I tried it on this machine
>>with a 64MB graphics card, and all I can say is I'd hate to try and run it
>>on the minimum spec machine they claim it'll run on. I reckon this one
>>could do with more ram, really - trouble is, 's one of these modern mobos
>>with only 2 ram slots, so upping the ram means removing 256MB that's already
>>there, and substituting something else - in which case, there's hardly any
>>point in getting one less than 1GB, which are about 50+ quid ATM.

>
>1.9Ghz, 786Meg? Why are you running such antiquated hardware? Treat
>yourself to a new pc


bloody thing *was* new, not long ago. and the board will take faster CPUs,
I suspect. what are Semprons?
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
Appearances: You don't really need make-up. Celebrate your authentic
face by frightening people in the street.
from the Little Book of Complete B***ocks by Alistair Beaton.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 13:01   #5 (permalink)
Derek
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the digital dash....


"Austin Shackles" wrote in message> Why are you running such antiquated
hardware? Treat
> >yourself to a new pc

>
> bloody thing *was* new, not long ago. and the board will take faster

CPUs,
> I suspect. what are Semprons?
> --
> Austin Shackles.

the sempron replaces the Athlon XP socket A processor (it has a smaller
second level cache in its new 64 bit Socket 939 guise ) but in
benchmarks it seems to make a little difference have a look at
http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html for comparisons
Derek
( still rangerover free but for how long?)


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 16:01   #6 (permalink)
Tim Hobbs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the digital dash....

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:41:02 +0100, Austin Shackles
<austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote:

>On or around Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:55:58 +0100, Tim Hobbs <tim@spam.com>
>enlightened us thusly:
>
>>>2 x 2Gig ones of these:
>>>http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/prodt...8161&ft=d&st=1
>>>

>>
>>2 x 2 Gb? What sort of bloatware are you running on that...

>
>XP pro, probably.
>


If Martyn is putting XP Pro anywhere near Grumble I will drown
laughing in a puddle of my own piss. I suspect he will be doing
something Linux based - probably a stripped down kernel or summat.

2Gb of log files is a lot of mileage though!
--

Tim Hobbs

'58 Series 2 88" aka "Stig"
'77 101FC Ambulance aka "Burrt"
'03 Volvo V70
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 16:01   #7 (permalink)
Alex
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: More on the digital dash....

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:29:53 +0100, Mother <"@ {m} @"@101fc.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:07:39 GMT, Alex <nospam.alex@cbmsys.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>Mine has 1.5Gb in it, and still one slot spare

>
>Unlike you to have an unfilled slot, Alex... 8-)~


Oooh! Bitchy!

For your information it originally came with 2x512, but I "obtained"
another 512 and slotted it in.

According to the manual:

The max on the m/b is 3Gb, despite having 4 slots (?)
Only 512meg modules are supported, 1gb is not listed as supported.
Also interestingly, the motherboard (Gigabyte, Nforce2) seems quite
happy to support Dual-Channel with three DIMMS in....
However, to achieve the full 3Gb with Dual-Channel requires the
installation of 2x512 and 2x1Gb. Fitting 3x1Gb will halve the bus
bandwidth.....

Aaargh!

Alex
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:01   #8 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the digital dash....

On or around Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:40:55 GMT, "Derek"
<delwattsspamnoman@cwcom.net> enlightened us thusly:

>
>"Austin Shackles" wrote in message> Why are you running such antiquated
>hardware? Treat
>> >yourself to a new pc

>>
>> bloody thing *was* new, not long ago. and the board will take faster

>CPUs,
>> I suspect. what are Semprons?
>> --
>> Austin Shackles.

>the sempron replaces the Athlon XP socket A processor (it has a smaller
>second level cache in its new 64 bit Socket 939 guise ) but in
>benchmarks it seems to make a little difference have a look at
>http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html for comparisons


hmmm. might just want a bigger athlon, then... :-) 's a bit like V8s, you
always want a bigger one...
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
Appearances: You don't really need make-up. Celebrate your authentic
face by frightening people in the street.
from the Little Book of Complete B***ocks by Alistair Beaton.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:01   #9 (permalink)
Tim Hobbs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the digital dash....

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:48:20 +0100, Mother <"@ {m} @"@101fc.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:20:44 +0100, Tim Hobbs <tim@spam.com> wrote:
>
>>If Martyn is putting XP Pro anywhere near Grumble I will drown
>>laughing in a puddle of my own piss.

>
>Nice thought, but you're safe and can remain 'dry'
>
>>I suspect he will be doing
>>something Linux based - probably a stripped down kernel or summat.

>
>Yup - scary isn't it, to be so predicable :-)


I'm just waiting to see the kits available on ebay!


--

Tim Hobbs

'58 Series 2 88" aka "Stig"
'77 101FC Ambulance aka "Burrt"
'03 Volvo V70
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:01   #10 (permalink)
Paul S. Brown
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: More on the digital dash....

Tim Hobbs wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:48:20 +0100, Mother <"@ {m} @"@101fc.net>
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:20:44 +0100, Tim Hobbs <tim@spam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>If Martyn is putting XP Pro anywhere near Grumble I will drown
>>>laughing in a puddle of my own piss.

>>
>>Nice thought, but you're safe and can remain 'dry'
>>
>>>I suspect he will be doing
>>>something Linux based - probably a stripped down kernel or summat.

>>
>>Yup - scary isn't it, to be so predicable :-)

>
> I'm just waiting to see the kits available on ebay!
>
>


What? After it failed to work once and Martyn borrowed an MBT to run it over
with?

:@)

P.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:14.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.