Re: Petrol? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2005, 04:01   #1 (permalink)
GbH
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Petrol?

In news:,
GbH <Geoff_Hannington@IEE.ORGasm> blithered:
> This was sent to me by someone who suggested I pass it on to 10
> others, Seems to me to have possibilities.
>
> See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it. We are
> hitting 95p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying 1 a
> litre.
>
>
> This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain
> day"
> campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies
> just
> laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt
> ourselves by
> refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it
> was a
> problem for them.
>
>
>
> BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can
> really
> work. Please read it and join in! Now that the oil companies and the
> OPEC
> nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is
> CHEAP, we
> need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the
> market
> place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we
>
> consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the
> price
> of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not
> purchasing
> their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the
>
> idea:
>
>
>
> For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two
> biggest
> oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not
> selling any
> petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If
>
> they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow
> suit. But
> to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP
>
> petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at
>
> this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach
>
> millions of people!!
>
>
>
> I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to
> at
> least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ...and those 300 send it to at least
> ten
> more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message
>
> reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over
> THREE
> MILLION consumers!
>
>
>
> If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends
> each,
> then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level
>
> further, you guessed it.....THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
>
>
>
> Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (and
> not
> buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this
>
> email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all
>
> 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8
> days!!!
> I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!
>
> Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to
>
> you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER
> THEIR
> PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE. It's easy to make this happen.
>
>
>
> Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda, Tesco,
>
> Sainsbury's, Morrison's, Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.
>
>
>
> POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!
>
>
>
> Regards




--
"He who says it cannot be done should not interrupt her doing it."

If at first you don't succeed,
maybe skydiving's not for you!


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-21-2005, 05:01   #2 (permalink)
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Petrol?

Petrol is a scarce good, there is only so much can be got out of the ground
transported and refined.

Even if it were a penny a litre it still does not mean there would be enough
to go round and queues at the filling station to get ones ration.

If more were being done to develop sustainable fuels such as bio diesel and
alcohol then that is something to campaing for.

Eventually the price of petrol will hike so high that currently uneconomic
alternatives will cross over, but I fear we will have to see the price go up
further yet before it happens.

--
Larry
Series 3 rust and holes



"GbH" <Geoff_Hannington@IEE.ORGasm> wrote in message
news:430852f3$0$22904$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net...
> In news:,
> GbH <Geoff_Hannington@IEE.ORGasm> blithered:
> > This was sent to me by someone who suggested I pass it on to 10
> > others, Seems to me to have possibilities.
> >
> > See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it. We are
> > hitting 95p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying

1 a
> > litre.
> >
> >
> > This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain
> > day"
> > campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies
> > just
> > laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt
> > ourselves by
> > refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it
> > was a
> > problem for them.
> >
> >
> >
> > BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can
> > really
> > work. Please read it and join in! Now that the oil companies and the
> > OPEC
> > nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is
> > CHEAP, we
> > need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the
> > market
> > place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we
> >
> > consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the
> > price
> > of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not
> > purchasing
> > their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the
> >
> > idea:
> >
> >
> >
> > For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two
> > biggest
> > oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not
> > selling any
> > petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If
> >
> > they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow
> > suit. But
> > to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP
> >
> > petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at
> >
> > this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach
> >
> > millions of people!!
> >
> >
> >
> > I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to
> > at
> > least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ...and those 300 send it to at least
> > ten
> > more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message
> >
> > reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over
> > THREE
> > MILLION consumers!
> >
> >
> >
> > If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends
> > each,
> > then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level
> >
> > further, you guessed it.....THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
> >
> >
> >
> > Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (and
> > not
> > buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this
> >
> > email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all
> >
> > 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8
> > days!!!
> > I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!
> >
> > Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to
> >
> > you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER
> > THEIR
> > PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE. It's easy to make this happen.
> >
> >
> >
> > Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda, Tesco,
> >
> > Sainsbury's, Morrison's, Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.
> >
> >
> >
> > POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!
> >
> >
> >
> > Regards

>
>
>
> --
> "He who says it cannot be done should not interrupt her doing it."
>
> If at first you don't succeed,
> maybe skydiving's not for you!
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:01   #3 (permalink)
PJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Petrol?

GbH wrote:

<snip>
>>
>>Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda, Tesco,
>>Sainsbury's, Morrison's, Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.
>>
>>
>>POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!
>>

If people buy up all Shell's stock of petrol and BP and Esso have large
stocks of refined fuel then I would assume that Shell will just purchase
from them at a discount price.

PJ
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:01   #4 (permalink)
Lofty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Petrol?

Aren't you all forgetting its the GOVERNMENTS TAX on fuel that is
responsible for our stupidly inflated prices.

Approximately 75% of the cost of a litre of fuel is TAX!!

Rather than penalise companies that do all the work of extraction,
processing, marketing and delivery, consider more direct action that
the government will have to take notice of.


But we have tried this before, and nobody really gives a toss, I was
at the last round of fuel protests and hardly anyone turned up.

The price of fuel is directly proportional to the majority of the
country's lack of interest.

Quit moaning, get off your backsides and do something positive - lobby
your MP big time, and be there at the next show of support.








On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:09:54 +0100, "GbH"
<Geoff_Hannington@IEE.ORGasm> wrote:

>In news:,
>GbH <Geoff_Hannington@IEE.ORGasm> blithered:
>> This was sent to me by someone who suggested I pass it on to 10
>> others, Seems to me to have possibilities.
>>
>> See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it. We are
>> hitting 95p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying 1 a
>> litre.
>>
>>
>> This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain
>> day"
>> campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies
>> just
>> laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt
>> ourselves by
>> refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it
>> was a
>> problem for them.
>>
>>
>>
>> BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can
>> really
>> work. Please read it and join in! Now that the oil companies and the
>> OPEC
>> nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is
>> CHEAP, we
>> need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the
>> market
>> place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we
>>
>> consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the
>> price
>> of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not
>> purchasing
>> their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the
>>
>> idea:
>>
>>
>>
>> For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two
>> biggest
>> oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not
>> selling any
>> petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If
>>
>> they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow
>> suit. But
>> to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP
>>
>> petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at
>>
>> this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach
>>
>> millions of people!!
>>
>>
>>
>> I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to
>> at
>> least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ...and those 300 send it to at least
>> ten
>> more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message
>>
>> reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over
>> THREE
>> MILLION consumers!
>>
>>
>>
>> If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends
>> each,
>> then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level
>>
>> further, you guessed it.....THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
>>
>>
>>
>> Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (and
>> not
>> buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this
>>
>> email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all
>>
>> 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8
>> days!!!
>> I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!
>>
>> Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to
>>
>> you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER
>> THEIR
>> PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE. It's easy to make this happen.
>>
>>
>>
>> Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda, Tesco,
>>
>> Sainsbury's, Morrison's, Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.
>>
>>
>>
>> POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!
>>
>>
>>
>> Regards


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:01   #5 (permalink)
Ali
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Petrol?


"Lofty" <Lofty76@spamlessyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:kjjlg1p4jv0fevhl4jqjscgusjkaqjq6bk@4ax.com...
> Aren't you all forgetting its the GOVERNMENTS TAX on fuel that is
> responsible for our stupidly inflated prices.
>
> Approximately 75% of the cost of a litre of fuel is TAX!!
>
> Rather than penalise companies that do all the work of extraction,
> processing, marketing and delivery, consider more direct action that
> the government will have to take notice of.
>
>
> But we have tried this before, and nobody really gives a toss, I was
> at the last round of fuel protests and hardly anyone turned up.
>
> The price of fuel is directly proportional to the majority of the
> country's lack of interest.
>
> Quit moaning, get off your backsides and do something positive - lobby
> your MP big time, and be there at the next show of support.
>
>


HERE HERE!!

I just cant believe that the people cant see the wood for the trees!!!!

Ali


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:01   #6 (permalink)
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Petrol?

In message <deh8vb$251$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>
"Ali" <youcantspamme@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>
> "Lofty" <Lofty76@spamlessyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:kjjlg1p4jv0fevhl4jqjscgusjkaqjq6bk@4ax.com...
> > Aren't you all forgetting its the GOVERNMENTS TAX on fuel that is
> > responsible for our stupidly inflated prices.
> >
> > Approximately 75% of the cost of a litre of fuel is TAX!!
> >
> > Rather than penalise companies that do all the work of extraction,
> > processing, marketing and delivery, consider more direct action that
> > the government will have to take notice of.
> >
> >
> > But we have tried this before, and nobody really gives a toss, I was
> > at the last round of fuel protests and hardly anyone turned up.
> >
> > The price of fuel is directly proportional to the majority of the
> > country's lack of interest.
> >
> > Quit moaning, get off your backsides and do something positive - lobby
> > your MP big time, and be there at the next show of support.
> >
> >

>
> HERE HERE!!
>
> I just cant believe that the people cant see the wood for the trees!!!!
>
> Ali
>
>


So which alternative way do you prefer to pay the tax? Increase VAT?
Increase Income Tax?

Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Helping keep Land Rovers on and off the road to annoy the Lib Dems
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:01   #7 (permalink)
Paul S. Brown
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Petrol?

beamendsltd wrote:


>>

>
> So which alternative way do you prefer to pay the tax? Increase VAT?
> Increase Income Tax?
>


Decrease bureacracy?

P.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:01   #8 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Petrol?

On or around Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:19:53 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd
<beamendsltd@btconnect.com> enlightened us thusly:

>In message <deh8vb$251$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>
> "Ali" <youcantspamme@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
>>
>> "Lofty" <Lofty76@spamlessyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:kjjlg1p4jv0fevhl4jqjscgusjkaqjq6bk@4ax.com...
>> > Aren't you all forgetting its the GOVERNMENTS TAX on fuel that is
>> > responsible for our stupidly inflated prices.
>> >
>> > Approximately 75% of the cost of a litre of fuel is TAX!!
>> >
>> > Rather than penalise companies that do all the work of extraction,
>> > processing, marketing and delivery, consider more direct action that
>> > the government will have to take notice of.
>> >
>> >
>> > But we have tried this before, and nobody really gives a toss, I was
>> > at the last round of fuel protests and hardly anyone turned up.
>> >
>> > The price of fuel is directly proportional to the majority of the
>> > country's lack of interest.
>> >
>> > Quit moaning, get off your backsides and do something positive - lobby
>> > your MP big time, and be there at the next show of support.
>> >
>> >

>>
>> HERE HERE!!
>>
>> I just cant believe that the people cant see the wood for the trees!!!!
>>
>> Ali
>>
>>

>
>So which alternative way do you prefer to pay the tax? Increase VAT?
>Increase Income Tax?


I'm not in favour of reducing income tax to very low levels and then putting
the tax all on purchases. There needs to be balance. Granted, people with
high incomes are more likely to spend it and thus pay more purchase tax, but
weighting it too far in favour of purchase tax is self-defeating in many
ways - low-paid workers have to be supported by state subsidy, for example,
in order to be able to afford to live. With higher income tax on
medium-to-high incomes, and a bit less on purchases, you'd not need so much
in the way of benefits for unemployed and low-wage jobs.

as to very-high incomes, well... there's a good argument in favour of taxing
them the same - people with 6-figure incomes can afford to move to a country
with a favourable tax regime, and many do. if you tried to put a super-tax
of say 90% on all income over 500,000 then I venture to suggest you'd
collect next-to-sod-all - arrange it that all income is taxed at say 25-30%
(guessing at figures, here) for example, above a threshold level of
something around 8 grand a year (which is a pretty low wage these days)
would, I suspect, raise more revenue - people with big incomes would either
not move away or would even move here from elsewhere. I don't know what the
figures are, and whether for example 30% is low enough to be attractive. 30%
tax on billions is better than 90% on SFA.


coming back to fuel prices... raising the fuel price to very high levels is
no help in preventing waste of fuel - people will pay, then demand pay
increases; transport of goods will get more expensive leading to inflation
of retail prices, etc. etc. Making fuel very expensive only hurts those
least able to pay; while those who can afford a vehicle with a 12-mpg thirst
for everyday use (rather than as an occasional toy) can afford to fill it
with petrol.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
"Festina Lente" (Hasten slowly) Suetonius (c.70-c.140) Augustus, 25
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:01   #9 (permalink)
Nigel Hewitt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Petrol?

Austin Shackles <austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote:

> I'm not in favour of reducing income tax to very low levels and then putting
> the tax all on purchases.


Isn't this the philosophy of not taxing what you put into the
economy (your labour) but only taxing what you take out (your
purchases).

Admittedly it would deserve a tax regime that zero rated essentials
and progressively taxed more luxury goods.

> There needs to be balance.


Sadly yes but tax is, as most things like that, set on political
agendas not rational ones.

nigelH


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:01   #10 (permalink)
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Petrol?

In message <3n2snvF194gcaU1@individual.net>
"Paul S. Brown" <pol@geekstuff.tv> wrote:

> beamendsltd wrote:
>
>
> >>

> >
> > So which alternative way do you prefer to pay the tax? Increase VAT?
> > Increase Income Tax?
> >

>
> Decrease bureacracy?
>
> P.


OK - so lets have some details. How? And just saying "increase
efficiency", "reduce headcount" is cheating - its got to be
x thousand from here, their work to be done instead by ...,
that sort of thing. Oh, and don't forget to cost the extra
benefits, reduancy payments, pension payments, social cost of house
reposessions etc etc etc that this reduced bureacracy will entail.
Oh, and don't forget the cost to us individuals that farmimg out
to private firms will be.....


Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Helping keep Land Rovers on and off the road to annoy the Lib Dems
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:23.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.