RRC Tailgate aperture repair panel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-05, 08:01 AM
Nige
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RRC Tailgate aperture repair panel

Just under the rear lower tailgate is well rusty, can you get a repair panel, it doesn't look too big a
job for someone who knows how to weld?

I need to take off the rear bumper anyway to replace it. Whilst I'm in there I'll have a good prod about
the rear crossmember to check it's condition.

Anyone know if you can get one?

Ta

Nige

--
Subaru WRX
Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-05, 09:01 AM
Autolycus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: RRC Tailgate aperture repair panel


"Nige" <nigel.inceBUGGEROFF@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:3sk3lfFopt3kU1@individual.net...
> Just under the rear lower tailgate is well rusty, can you get a repair
> panel, it doesn't look too big a job for someone who knows how to
> weld?
>

Famous last words. It's a horrible job. The "official" method involves
removing the roof, rear wings, and tons more, so you can replace the
whole rectangular frame. Paddock (and others) sell a repair section
(RR61) for about 38 quid, and you'll need bolts and mounting rubbers at
about £13, but you still have to remove the lower tailgate, the rear
floor, probably the fuel tank, and a few other odds and sods.

You then have to support the roof, to stop the rear body sagging while
you hack away with the angle grinder. With the one I did, I also cut
away part of the repair panel to make it easier to wiggle into position,
but this may not be possible if yours is rusty too near the ends.

It's a foul job that makes doing sills and footwells seem fun.

The funny thing is, no-one selling a Rangey has *ever* known it needed
doing. "Totally rust-free". "Er well, yes, apart from that".



--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. oct2005@mainbeam.co.uk)***
Car Transport by Tiltbed Trailer - based near Derby
Wanting a tdi auto Rangey that doesn't need its rear crossmember doing


 
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-05, 10:01 AM
Nige
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: RRC Tailgate aperture repair panel

Autolycus wrote:
> "Nige" <nigel.inceBUGGEROFF@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:3sk3lfFopt3kU1@individual.net...
>> Just under the rear lower tailgate is well rusty, can you get a
>> repair panel, it doesn't look too big a job for someone who knows
>> how to weld?
>>

> Famous last words. It's a horrible job. The "official" method
> involves removing the roof, rear wings, and tons more, so you can
> replace the whole rectangular frame. Paddock (and others) sell a
> repair section (RR61) for about 38 quid, and you'll need bolts and
> mounting rubbers at about £13, but you still have to remove the lower
> tailgate, the rear floor, probably the fuel tank, and a few other
> odds and sods.
> You then have to support the roof, to stop the rear body sagging while
> you hack away with the angle grinder. With the one I did, I also cut
> away part of the repair panel to make it easier to wiggle into
> position, but this may not be possible if yours is rusty too near the
> ends.
> It's a foul job that makes doing sills and footwells seem fun.
>
> The funny thing is, no-one selling a Rangey has *ever* known it needed
> doing. "Totally rust-free". "Er well, yes, apart from that"


hehehe - it looks like it would patch pretty well to be honest in that case!!

Nige

--
Subaru WRX
Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"


 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-05, 11:01 AM
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: RRC Tailgate aperture repair panel

In message <3sk3lfFopt3kU1@individual.net>
"Nige" <nigel.inceBUGGEROFF@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Just under the rear lower tailgate is well rusty, can you get a repair panel, it doesn't look too big a
> job for someone who knows how to weld?
>
> I need to take off the rear bumper anyway to replace it. Whilst I'm in there I'll have a good prod about
> the rear crossmember to check it's condition.
>
> Anyone know if you can get one?
>
> Ta
>
> Nige
>


Do you mean the crossmember that the tailgate hinges on? If so
its :

NRC4717 RRC Tailgate Crossmember £39.95 inc VAT - quite a good seller!

Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Boycott the Yorkshire Dales - No Play, No Pay
 
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-05, 11:01 AM
Nige
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: RRC Tailgate aperture repair panel

beamendsltd wrote:
> In message <3sk3lfFopt3kU1@individual.net>
> "Nige" <nigel.inceBUGGEROFF@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Just under the rear lower tailgate is well rusty, can you get a
>> repair panel, it doesn't look too big a job for someone who knows
>> how to weld?
>>
>> I need to take off the rear bumper anyway to replace it. Whilst I'm
>> in there I'll have a good prod about the rear crossmember to check
>> it's condition.
>>
>> Anyone know if you can get one?
>>
>> Ta
>>
>> Nige
>>

>
> Do you mean the crossmember that the tailgate hinges on? If so
> its :
>
> NRC4717 RRC Tailgate Crossmember £39.95 inc VAT - quite a good seller!
>
> Richard

No matey, the thin metal surround bit. Tailgate aperture i suppose. I don't need the whole lot, just the
bit around the boot lip & below. Might need a crossmember yet too!!

Nige

Nige

--
Subaru WRX
Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"


 
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-05, 11:01 AM
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: RRC Tailgate aperture repair panel

In message <3skdvtFkn7fuU1@individual.net>
"Nige" <nigel.inceBUGGEROFF@btinternet.com> wrote:

> beamendsltd wrote:
> > In message <3sk3lfFopt3kU1@individual.net>
> > "Nige" <nigel.inceBUGGEROFF@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Just under the rear lower tailgate is well rusty, can you get a
> >> repair panel, it doesn't look too big a job for someone who knows
> >> how to weld?
> >>
> >> I need to take off the rear bumper anyway to replace it. Whilst I'm
> >> in there I'll have a good prod about the rear crossmember to check
> >> it's condition.
> >>
> >> Anyone know if you can get one?
> >>
> >> Ta
> >>
> >> Nige
> >>

> >
> > Do you mean the crossmember that the tailgate hinges on? If so
> > its :
> >
> > NRC4717 RRC Tailgate Crossmember £39.95 inc VAT - quite a good seller!
> >
> > Richard

> No matey, the thin metal surround bit. Tailgate aperture i suppose. I don't need the whole lot, just the
> bit around the boot lip & below. Might need a crossmember yet too!!
>
> Nige
>


OK - how about the heelboard then! Thats the "stepped" bit that goes from
the main rear floor panel down to the talgate "level"?

Failing that, how about a photo!

Richard

--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Boycott the Yorkshire Dales - No Play, No Pay
 
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-05, 11:01 AM
Nige
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: RRC Tailgate aperture repair panel

beamendsltd wrote:
> In message <3skdvtFkn7fuU1@individual.net>
> "Nige" <nigel.inceBUGGEROFF@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> beamendsltd wrote:
>>> In message <3sk3lfFopt3kU1@individual.net>
>>> "Nige" <nigel.inceBUGGEROFF@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Just under the rear lower tailgate is well rusty, can you get a
>>>> repair panel, it doesn't look too big a job for someone who knows
>>>> how to weld?
>>>>
>>>> I need to take off the rear bumper anyway to replace it. Whilst I'm
>>>> in there I'll have a good prod about the rear crossmember to check
>>>> it's condition.
>>>>
>>>> Anyone know if you can get one?
>>>>
>>>> Ta
>>>>
>>>> Nige
>>>>
>>>
>>> Do you mean the crossmember that the tailgate hinges on? If so
>>> its :
>>>
>>> NRC4717 RRC Tailgate Crossmember £39.95 inc VAT - quite a good
>>> seller!
>>>
>>> Richard

>> No matey, the thin metal surround bit. Tailgate aperture i suppose.
>> I don't need the whole lot, just the bit around the boot lip &
>> below. Might need a crossmember yet too!!
>>
>> Nige
>>

>
> OK - how about the heelboard then! Thats the "stepped" bit that goes
> from the main rear floor panel down to the talgate "level"?
>
> Failing that, how about a photo!
>
> Richard


I'll send one now matey!

Nige


--
Subaru WRX
Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome