Smoke Cure - Snake Oil? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-05, 03:01 PM
'T'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smoke Cure - Snake Oil?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEFENDER-FREEL...QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone know anything about this?


--
T

Defender XS90




 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-05, 12:01 AM
jOn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Smoke Cure - Snake Oil?


"'T'" <t@nospam.here> wrote in message
news:dfnmsd$gg9$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEFENDER-FREEL...QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Anyone know anything about this?


Seems to centre round whether it's got an egr valve.
My guess is the ball bearing is stuck down the vac pipe that opens the egr
valve to stop it opening.


 
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-05, 01:01 PM
Richard Brookman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Smoke Cure - Snake Oil?

so 'T' was, like...
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEFENDER-FREEL...QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Anyone know anything about this?


As a general rule, don't buy anything off eBay where the seller writes
everything in CAPITALS. It indicates an unsound mind. This includes
Craddocks, who commit the additional offence in writing their descriptions
in Comic Sans.

Mind you, his feedback is pretty good.


--
Rich
==============================
Disco 300 Tdi auto
S2a 88" SW
Tiggrr (V8 trialler)


 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-05, 04:01 PM
PDannyD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Smoke Cure - Snake Oil?

On Wednesday 07 September 2005 22:42, 'T'(t@nospam.here) wrote in message
<dfnmsd$gg9$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>

>

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEFENDER-FREEL...QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Anyone know anything about this?


Well, it's not 'snake oil'.

I did a little Googling and from a very cursory look around I can find the
following:-

Blocking off the EGR (which, I assume, is what the product in question does)
prevents exhaust gasses being fed back into the inlet thus increasing the
oxygen content in the combustion chamber. This reduces sooting, increases
MPG and possibly power as well but also increases other smog-causing
pollutants and raises the exhaust gas temperature.

So, swing and roundabouts.

I don't know enough (or anything) about the chemistry of exhaust gasses to
say anything definitive on this but I would think getting a garage to tune
up and service your engine would be a lot better for all concerned.

--
2001 FZS600 - Silver/Black
1974 SIII Land Rover - Hardtop 2.25 Petrol, Green
1954 Ford 100E Prefect - Black
 
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-05, 02:01 AM
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Smoke Cure - Snake Oil?

On or around Thu, 8 Sep 2005 20:12:03 +0100, "Richard Brookman"
<newsboy@nowhere.com> enlightened us thusly:

>so 'T' was, like...
>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEFENDER-FREEL...QQcmdZViewItem
>>
>> Anyone know anything about this?

>
>As a general rule, don't buy anything off eBay where the seller writes
>everything in CAPITALS. It indicates an unsound mind. This includes
>Craddocks, who commit the additional offence in writing their descriptions
>in Comic Sans.


and even moreso if they include five excalmation marks.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
"Festina Lente" (Hasten slowly) Suetonius (c.70-c.140) Augustus, 25
 
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-05, 02:01 AM
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Smoke Cure - Snake Oil?

On or around Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:28:17 +0100, PDannyD
<dan1970@TIBSIHTEVOMERscenicplace.freeserve.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:

>I did a little Googling and from a very cursory look around I can find the
>following:-
>
>Blocking off the EGR (which, I assume, is what the product in question does)
>prevents exhaust gasses being fed back into the inlet thus increasing the
>oxygen content in the combustion chamber. This reduces sooting, increases
>MPG and possibly power as well but also increases other smog-causing
>pollutants and raises the exhaust gas temperature.


I disabled the EGR on the minibus, mainly 'cos of the way it operates, using
a throttle valve in the inlet to provide a vacuum signal to operate it. Said
valve opens too slowly in response to increased boot, IMHO, and thottles the
engine. I've no problem with EGR which only works on over-run AIUI this is
what it's meant to do) as this doesn't affect power.

>I don't know enough (or anything) about the chemistry of exhaust gasses to
>say anything definitive on this but I would think getting a garage to tune
>up and service your engine would be a lot better for all concerned.


doesn't alter the thing about EGR valves misbehaving, which IIRC LR ones on
TDis are prone to do to some extent. The TDi here has it's EGR blanked off
for this reason.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
0123456789112345678921234567893123456789412345678951234567896123456789712345
1 weebl: What's this? | in recognition of the fun that is weebl and bob
2 bob: it a SigRuler! | check out the weebl and bob archive:
3 weebl: How Handy! | http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/archives.php
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome