Spitting sound at 2.5K to 3-ishK revs on medium load - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2005, 05:02   #1 (permalink)
rjs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Spitting sound at 2.5K to 3-ishK revs on medium load

My RR V8 EFi 1988 has started to make a spitting sound at between 2500
and 3500 (or so) revs under medium load. I either can't hear it or it
stops at higher revs and/or heavy load. I can't hear it off load which
makes the guesswork of tracing it less than easy.

Any thoughts?



TIA Richard



--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2005, 13:01   #2 (permalink)
rjs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Spitting sound at 2.5K to 3-ishK revs on medium load UPDATED!

rjs wrote:

> My RR V8 EFi 1988 has started to make a spitting sound at between 2500
> and 3500 (or so) revs under medium load. I either can't hear it or it
> stops at higher revs and/or heavy load. I can't hear it off load which
> makes the guesswork of tracing it less than easy.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
>
>
> TIA Richard
>
>
>

Silly *********. I should have checked the 'guaranteed for life' Rimmer
Bros SS exhaust for cracks where the 4-into-1 manifolds join the Y piece.

Anyone know how good they are wrt the guarantee?


Richard ;-(
--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 13:01   #3 (permalink)
Thingy_wotsit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Spitting sound at 2.5K to 3-ishK revs on medium load

"rjs" <nouse@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:e9-dnTeC2o7wVaLeRVnyiQ@pipex.net...
> My RR V8 EFi 1988 has started to make a spitting sound at between 2500 and
> 3500 (or so) revs under medium load. I either can't hear it or it stops
> at higher revs and/or heavy load. I can't hear it off load which makes
> the guesswork of tracing it less than easy.
>
> Any thoughts?


Manifold studs become worn allowing the down pipe nuts to work loose. The
manifold will need removal and stud replacing it it's this.

Lee D


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:01   #4 (permalink)
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Spitting sound at 2.5K to 3-ishK revs on medium load UPDATED!


"rjs" <nouse@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:uuadnRxdpeB7tt3eRVnyrg@pipex.net...
> rjs wrote:
>
>> My RR V8 EFi 1988 has started to make a spitting sound at between 2500
>> and 3500 (or so) revs under medium load. I either can't hear it or it
>> stops at higher revs and/or heavy load. I can't hear it off load which
>> makes the guesswork of tracing it less than easy.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>>
>>
>> TIA Richard
>>
>>
>>

> Silly *********. I should have checked the 'guaranteed for life' Rimmer
> Bros SS exhaust for cracks where the 4-into-1 manifolds join the Y piece.
>
> Anyone know how good they are wrt the guarantee?
>
>
> Richard ;-(
> --
> Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM


I have a rimmer stainless system on my 90. its very rusty!!!! when i rang
them they said it will rust and the 'guarantee' covers for perforation only.
the silencer is still very shiney! Personnnally i wouldnt touch them again
..
Richard


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 15:01   #5 (permalink)
rjs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Spitting sound at 2.5K to 3-ishK revs on medium load

Thingy_wotsit wrote:


>
> Manifold studs become worn allowing the down pipe nuts to work loose. The
> manifold will need removal and stud replacing it it's this.
>
> Lee D
>
>


Hi Lee

Both manifolds are split near were the 4 branches combine into one -
just short of the connections to the Y piece. <sigh>


Richard
--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:01   #6 (permalink)
hammy1967
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Spitting sound at 2.5K to 3-ishK revs on medium load UPDATED!

sounds like what i have a worn cam lobe or stuck tappit on number 7 cylinder
for some reason always number 7 cylinder stick a bar on the rocker cover and
have a listen you might just hear it
"Richard" <NO.SPAM@AT.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
news:bW90f.66609$RW.7923@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "rjs" <nouse@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> news:uuadnRxdpeB7tt3eRVnyrg@pipex.net...
>> rjs wrote:
>>
>>> My RR V8 EFi 1988 has started to make a spitting sound at between 2500
>>> and 3500 (or so) revs under medium load. I either can't hear it or it
>>> stops at higher revs and/or heavy load. I can't hear it off load which
>>> makes the guesswork of tracing it less than easy.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> TIA Richard
>>>
>>>
>>>

>> Silly *********. I should have checked the 'guaranteed for life' Rimmer
>> Bros SS exhaust for cracks where the 4-into-1 manifolds join the Y piece.
>>
>> Anyone know how good they are wrt the guarantee?
>>
>>
>> Richard ;-(
>> --
>> Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

>
> I have a rimmer stainless system on my 90. its very rusty!!!! when i rang
> them they said it will rust and the 'guarantee' covers for perforation
> only. the silencer is still very shiney! Personnnally i wouldnt touch
> them again .
> Richard
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:02   #7 (permalink)
rjs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Spitting sound at 2.5K to 3-ishK revs on medium load UPDATED!

hammy1967 wrote:
> sounds like what i have a worn cam lobe or stuck tappit on number 7 cylinder
> for some reason always number 7 cylinder stick a bar on the rocker cover and
> have a listen you might just hear it
>


Actually a split in at least one header pipe in each 4 branch exhaust
pipe. (Thank goodness as I was fearing engine horrors)

Rgds

Richard


--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:12.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.