Starter motor for RaRo V8 vs SD1 V8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2005, 04:01   #1 (permalink)
David French
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Starter motor for RaRo V8 vs SD1 V8

I have a problem with the starter in the 101.

I replaced the starter motor recently and now it doesn't always engage.
It's a pre-engage type, with the solenoid engaging the pinion. Except
it doesn't always engage the pinion, even though the motor itself turns
over each time.

I've checked the exciter feed, the earthing, etc. The only pattern I
can see is that the starter motor works fine on the workbench, but it
doesn't when it's screwed in to the engine. The electrics all check out
OK (in that if I by-pass all the vehicle's electrics and jump the
starter directly off a starter pack, the same problem persists.)

The starter motor is for a Range Rover V8, but the engine is a Rover SD1
V8 (high compression). I was warned that they might not be the same
starter, but I assumed it would either work or not at all.

Can anybody confirm if the RaRo V8 starter is the same as the Rover SD1
V8 starter? If it's the same, any other suggestions?

Thanks,
David
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-27-2005, 07:02   #2 (permalink)
Lee_D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Starter motor for RaRo V8 vs SD1 V8

David French <david.not.spam.french@virgin.net> uttered summat worrerz
funny about:
> I have a problem with the starter in the 101.
>
> I replaced the starter motor recently and now it doesn't always
> engage. It's a pre-engage type, with the solenoid engaging the
> pinion. Except it doesn't always engage the pinion, even though the
> motor itself turns over each time.
>
> I've checked the exciter feed, the earthing, etc. The only pattern I
> can see is that the starter motor works fine on the workbench, but it
> doesn't when it's screwed in to the engine. The electrics all check
> out OK (in that if I by-pass all the vehicle's electrics and jump the
> starter directly off a starter pack, the same problem persists.)
>
> The starter motor is for a Range Rover V8, but the engine is a Rover
> SD1 V8 (high compression). I was warned that they might not be the
> same starter, but I assumed it would either work or not at all.
>
> Can anybody confirm if the RaRo V8 starter is the same as the Rover
> SD1 V8 starter? If it's the same, any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> David


My 101 has a off the shelf replacement starter ala Rangie on at the mo. To
look at the SD1 starters appear visibly the same as the one I pulled off the
101 in the first place. The replacement one I got was about a third the size
of the origional. I have a couple of SD1 startes in the the garage if theres
owt specific you need to know and also a Fly wheel on a SD1 lump all be it
auto which I can look at and make measurements off. Again let me know
specificallt what if anything you need and I'll get out my measure.

Lee D


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 08:01   #3 (permalink)
David French
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Starter motor for RaRo V8 vs SD1 V8

In article <3utsuoF12ssegU1@individual.net>,
"Lee_D" <newsgroupNOSPAM@NOSPAMlrproject.com> wrote:

> My 101 has a off the shelf replacement starter ala Rangie on at the mo. To
> look at the SD1 starters appear visibly the same as the one I pulled off the
> 101 in the first place. The replacement one I got was about a third the size
> of the origional. I have a couple of SD1 startes in the the garage if theres
> owt specific you need to know and also a Fly wheel on a SD1 lump all be it
> auto which I can look at and make measurements off. Again let me know
> specificallt what if anything you need and I'll get out my measure.
>
> Lee D


Thanks, Lee. I've got the old SD1 starter and although it's a different
starter, the alignment and pinion wheel seem visually the same. If
there's a difference, it's not obvious. However, somebody did warn me
the two types were different, but nobody seems to know much about this!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 08:01   #4 (permalink)
Steve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Starter motor for RaRo V8 vs SD1 V8

David French wrote:
> In article <3utsuoF12ssegU1@individual.net>,
> "Lee_D" <newsgroupNOSPAM@NOSPAMlrproject.com> wrote:
>
>> My 101 has a off the shelf replacement starter ala Rangie on at the mo. To
>> look at the SD1 starters appear visibly the same as the one I pulled off the
>> 101 in the first place. The replacement one I got was about a third the size
>> of the origional. I have a couple of SD1 startes in the the garage if theres
>> owt specific you need to know and also a Fly wheel on a SD1 lump all be it
>> auto which I can look at and make measurements off. Again let me know
>> specificallt what if anything you need and I'll get out my measure.
>>
>> Lee D

>
> Thanks, Lee. I've got the old SD1 starter and although it's a different
> starter, the alignment and pinion wheel seem visually the same. If
> there's a difference, it's not obvious. However, somebody did warn me
> the two types were different, but nobody seems to know much about this!


Which is the geared one ? I rebuilt my original starter not long ago,
but was recommended to get a geared one when this finally gives up the
ghost.

Steve
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:02   #5 (permalink)
Badger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Starter motor for RaRo V8 vs SD1 V8


"David French" <david.not.spam.french@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:david.not.spam.french-970269.15025427112005@no-dns-yet-212-23-3-119.zen.co.uk...
> In article <3utsuoF12ssegU1@individual.net>,
> "Lee_D" <newsgroupNOSPAM@NOSPAMlrproject.com> wrote:
>
>> My 101 has a off the shelf replacement starter ala Rangie on at the mo.
>> To
>> look at the SD1 starters appear visibly the same as the one I pulled off
>> the
>> 101 in the first place. The replacement one I got was about a third the
>> size
>> of the origional. I have a couple of SD1 startes in the the garage if
>> theres
>> owt specific you need to know and also a Fly wheel on a SD1 lump all be
>> it
>> auto which I can look at and make measurements off. Again let me know
>> specificallt what if anything you need and I'll get out my measure.
>>
>> Lee D

>
> Thanks, Lee. I've got the old SD1 starter and although it's a different
> starter, the alignment and pinion wheel seem visually the same. If
> there's a difference, it's not obvious. However, somebody did warn me
> the two types were different, but nobody seems to know much about this!


The difference, as I understand it, was that the Lucas 3M100PE SD1 starter
had the solenoid mounted to the side but the Rangie version of the same
motor had the solenoid mounted above - to give increased propshaft clearance
if a bump-stop failed. Other than that, all rover v8 starters are physically
interchangeable.
Badger.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:06.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.