Steering Damper - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2005, 14:02   #1 (permalink)
TonyB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Steering Damper

Thought it's about time I changed mine. HBOL says jack the vehicle up but is
this actually necessary or can I do it with the vehicle on the ground?
Thanks
TonyB


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-06-2005, 14:02   #2 (permalink)
JD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steering Damper

TonyB wrote:

> Thought it's about time I changed mine. HBOL says jack the vehicle up but
> is this actually necessary or can I do it with the vehicle on the ground?
> Thanks
> TonyB


Probably help if we knew which model vehicle (Series, Defender, Rangerover,
Discovery, Freelander) you were talking about, but in general it is not
"necessary" but depending on the vehicle may be easier. In particular, it
may be easier to turn the steering to engage or disengage the ends rather
than extending or compressing the damper by hand.
JD
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 15:01   #3 (permalink)
Dougal
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steering Damper

> Thought it's about time I changed mine. HBOL says jack the vehicle up but is
> this actually necessary or can I do it with the vehicle on the ground?
> Thanks
> TonyB


Another lie - unless you are exceptionally corpulent! You can easily do
it with the wheels on the ground (comment excludes Freelander about
which I know nothing).

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 15:01   #4 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steering Damper

On or around Wed, 6 Apr 2005 20:28:20 +0000 (UTC), "TonyB"
<Norfolk@soxclara.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:

>Thought it's about time I changed mine. HBOL says jack the vehicle up but is
>this actually necessary or can I do it with the vehicle on the ground?


haven't jacked any of mine. crawl underneath job, takes about 15 minutes.


--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
Confidence: Before important work meetings, boost your confidence by
reading a few pages from "The Tibetan Book of the Dead"
from the Little Book of Complete B***ocks by Alistair Beaton.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 15:01   #5 (permalink)
Lee_D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steering Damper

"Austin Shackles" <austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote in message
news:m4l851drkl02kb51bv9lubum70r0esjmrr@4ax.com...

> haven't jacked any of mine. crawl underneath job, takes about 15 minutes.


Is that 10 Minutes to wheel out the Oxy then ;-)

Lee D


  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:01   #6 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steering Damper

On or around Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:33:39 +0100, "Lee_D"
<newsgroupNOSPAM@NOSPAMlrproject.com> enlightened us thusly:

>"Austin Shackles" <austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote in message
>news:m4l851drkl02kb51bv9lubum70r0esjmrr@4ax.com...
>
>> haven't jacked any of mine. crawl underneath job, takes about 15 minutes.

>
>Is that 10 Minutes to wheel out the Oxy then ;-)
>


heh. no, 10 minutes to find the right spanner.

actually, I did notice that it's in a different place on the disco. 110's
was on the drag link, disco on the track rod.

--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"Quos deus vult perdere, prius dementat" Euripedes, quoted in
Boswell's "Johnson".
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:01   #7 (permalink)
Pantelis Giamarellos
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steering Damper

Supposedly one of the modifications you can do on a Disco in order to
increase its off roading capabilities is to fit the steering dumper where
Defenders have it.

A special chassic mount is required along with another one for the steering
bar but it is said to work 100% OK.

Take care
Pantelis

"Austin Shackles" <austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote in message
news:tbr9519kkg7b9oo9pheercncg896hs3dj0@4ax.com...
> On or around Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:33:39 +0100, "Lee_D"
> <newsgroupNOSPAM@NOSPAMlrproject.com> enlightened us thusly:
>
> >"Austin Shackles" <austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote in message
> >news:m4l851drkl02kb51bv9lubum70r0esjmrr@4ax.com...
> >
> >> haven't jacked any of mine. crawl underneath job, takes about 15

minutes.
> >
> >Is that 10 Minutes to wheel out the Oxy then ;-)
> >

>
> heh. no, 10 minutes to find the right spanner.
>
> actually, I did notice that it's in a different place on the disco. 110's
> was on the drag link, disco on the track rod.
>
> --
> Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
> "Quos deus vult perdere, prius dementat" Euripedes, quoted in
> Boswell's "Johnson".



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:01   #8 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steering Damper

On or around Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:40:09 +0300, "Pantelis Giamarellos"
<pantg@otenet.gr> enlightened us thusly:

>Supposedly one of the modifications you can do on a Disco in order to
>increase its off roading capabilities is to fit the steering dumper where
>Defenders have it.
>
>A special chassic mount is required along with another one for the steering
>bar but it is said to work 100% OK.


well, it would. can't see what it gains you unless it makes it less prone
to damage.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
In Touch: Get in touch with yourself by touching yourself.
If somebody is watching, stop touching yourself.
from the Little Book of Complete B***ocks by Alistair Beaton.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:01   #9 (permalink)
Niamh Holding
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steering Damper

In article <3bk9vgF6hh00jU1@individual.net>, pantg@otenet.gr (Pantelis
Giamarellos) wrote:

> A special chassic mount is required along with another one for the
> steering
> bar but it is said to work 100% OK.


We've certainly fitted a few

--
Niamh
4x4 Cymru
http://www.4x4cymru.co.uk

General Election '05: Can't vote for any of them?
Check out the positive alternative: http://www.spoilyourvote.co.uk
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 14:02   #10 (permalink)
Chris Ward
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steering Damper

>In article <3bk9vgF6hh00jU1@individual.net>, pantg@otenet.gr (Pantelis
>Giamarellos) wrote:
>
>> A special chassic mount is required along with another one for the
>> steering
>> bar but it is said to work 100% OK.


Personally, if I did a bit more serious off roading I'd seriously
consider the relocation of the steering damper to in front of the
axle, this would then be tucked away nicely so it's protected by a
steering guard and would allow me to fit dan bars or heavy duty track
rod...

IF I did do a bit more serious off roading I'd probably need to
replace the standard track rod and steering damper a bit more often
than once in three years - so far!!

Chris
Take the rubbish out to email me!
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:53.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.