Stick through the radiator then "quick" fix? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-05, 12:02 PM
Guy Lux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Stick through the radiator then "quick" fix?

A stick punctured the front radiator panel while off roading (I wasn't
driving...). Antifreeze was dribbling out, so I went for a quick fix,
stripping out the VVVVV-shaped foil above and below the ripped flat
tube, then curling each end back on itself and crimping it with
pliers. (I hope this doesn't block the whole radiator) I drove back
and didn't seem to lose any more antifreeze and temp guage showed
normal. Could this "quick fix" be permanent?

Guy


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-05, 02:05 PM
Paul - xxx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Stick through the radiator then "quick" fix?

Guy Lux composed the following;:
> A stick punctured the front radiator panel while off roading (I wasn't
> driving...). Antifreeze was dribbling out, so I went for a quick fix,
> stripping out the VVVVV-shaped foil above and below the ripped flat
> tube, then curling each end back on itself and crimping it with
> pliers. (I hope this doesn't block the whole radiator) I drove back
> and didn't seem to lose any more antifreeze and temp guage showed
> normal. Could this "quick fix" be permanent?


Depends if it starts to leak again ..

Yes, one or even quite a few 'blockages', are normal in even new radiators.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!
ebay stuff 5764797089

 
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-05, 05:01 PM
Badger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Stick through the radiator then "quick" fix?


"Guy Lux" <guyscarsbrook@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:d015decb.0504031037.70c099c1@posting.google.com...
>A stick punctured the front radiator panel while off roading (I wasn't
> driving...). Antifreeze was dribbling out, so I went for a quick fix,
> stripping out the VVVVV-shaped foil above and below the ripped flat
> tube, then curling each end back on itself and crimping it with
> pliers. (I hope this doesn't block the whole radiator) I drove back
> and didn't seem to lose any more antifreeze and temp guage showed
> normal. Could this "quick fix" be permanent?
>
> Guy


The same "quick fix" worked for me on my 1978 Jag XJ6 Coupe - for 7 years!!
(Well, have you ever priced a Jag radiator?)
Badger.


 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-05, 12:01 PM
Guy Lux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Stick through the radiator then "quick" fix?

> The same "quick fix" worked for me on my 1978 Jag XJ6 Coupe - for 7 years!!
> (Well, have you ever priced a Jag radiator?)
> Badger.


Good to know Badger, I'll see what happens.... Was worried the whole
rad would be blocked.

Guy
 
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-05, 02:01 AM
Badger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Stick through the radiator then "quick" fix?


"Guy Lux" <guyscarsbrook@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:d015decb.0504041021.7cbaf766@posting.google.com...
>> The same "quick fix" worked for me on my 1978 Jag XJ6 Coupe - for 7
>> years!!
>> (Well, have you ever priced a Jag radiator?)
>> Badger.

>
> Good to know Badger, I'll see what happens.... Was worried the whole
> rad would be blocked.
>
> Guy


Nah, but I'll bet you a percentage of the cores are "blocked"
unintentionally during the manufacturing process by excess solder anyway. If
the temp gauge is ok, don't worry about it - just keep an eye on it for
leaks developing.
Badger.


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome