Tallest wheels (not widest) on a standard 110? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 13:01   #1 (permalink)
Ian Rawlings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Tallest wheels (not widest) on a standard 110?

Hello all, am looking to get some new tyres in the near-ish future,
and am a fan of skinny wheels rather than fat ones. Most of the past
advice on the group has been about how fat you can get rather than how
tall. I'd imagine that a thin tyre will fit better than an equivalent
diameter fat tyre, so am interested in any experiences that others
have had with fitting tall thin tyres to the truck without mods.

Any takers?

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-04-2005, 13:01   #2 (permalink)
Alex
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tallest wheels (not widest) on a standard 110?

On Wed, 4 May 2005 19:20:02 +0100, Ian Rawlings <news05@tarcus.org.uk>
wrote:

>Hello all, am looking to get some new tyres in the near-ish future,
>and am a fan of skinny wheels rather than fat ones. Most of the past
>advice on the group has been about how fat you can get rather than how
>tall. I'd imagine that a thin tyre will fit better than an equivalent
>diameter fat tyre, so am interested in any experiences that others
>have had with fitting tall thin tyres to the truck without mods.
>
>Any takers?


Suggest you try Halfords Bike department.

Alex
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 14:01   #3 (permalink)
MVP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tallest wheels (not widest) on a standard 110?

On Wed, 4 May 2005 19:20:02 +0100, Ian Rawlings <news05@tarcus.org.uk>
wrote:

>Hello all, am looking to get some new tyres in the near-ish future,
>and am a fan of skinny wheels rather than fat ones. Most of the past
>advice on the group has been about how fat you can get rather than how
>tall. I'd imagine that a thin tyre will fit better than an equivalent
>diameter fat tyre, so am interested in any experiences that others
>have had with fitting tall thin tyres to the truck without mods.
>
>Any takers?


I occasionally see a series 3 around here which is running 9.0x16
bar-grips a-la-101. can't say if the suspension has been altered to
achieve this though.


Regards.
Mark.
--
_________________________________________
1984 110 CSW 2.5(na)D - leaving soon
3.9 V8i LPG auto Disco - coming soon
www.4x4info.info
www.mvp-fine-art.co.uk
www.markvarleyphoto.co.uk
charity calendar project -
http://www.4x4info.info/calendar/
_________________________________________



.................................................................
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 15:01   #4 (permalink)
Ian Rawlings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tallest wheels (not widest) on a standard 110?

On 2005-05-04, Alex <nospam.alex@cbmsys.co.uk> wrote:

> Suggest you try Halfords Bike department.


No chance! I've got a mountain bike and every time I've ever gone out
on it, I've got a puncture. Mind you at least I've proven that the
tyres can handle over a tonne of weight ;-)

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 15:01   #5 (permalink)
PDannyD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tallest wheels (not widest) on a standard 110?

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 19:20, Ian Rawlings(news05@tarcus.org.uk) wrote in
message <slrnd7i4ii.dtd.news05@gate-int.tarcus.org.uk>

> Hello all, am looking to get some new tyres in the near-ish future,
> and am a fan of skinny wheels rather than fat ones. Most of the past
> advice on the group has been about how fat you can get rather than how
> tall. I'd imagine that a thin tyre will fit better than an equivalent
> diameter fat tyre, so am interested in any experiences that others
> have had with fitting tall thin tyres to the truck without mods.


These are roughly in size order.

7.50/16
235/85R16 <---- my favourite
9.00/16
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 16:01   #6 (permalink)
Ian Rawlings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tallest wheels (not widest) on a standard 110?

On 2005-05-04, PDannyD <dan1970@TIBSIHTEVOMERscenicplace.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> 7.50/16
> 235/85R16 <---- my favourite
> 9.00/16


What I'm really after TBH is the same width as my 750R16s but taller
to add more ground clearance while retaining the same cutting ability
of the 750R16s. The 235/85R16s are wider and a little taller if my
maths is right, but not really tall enough. The 750R16s are about 30
inches diameter, ideally I'd get sommat like 33-36 inches in a 7.5
inch width. I might need a 1 or 2 inch lift for that though.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:01   #7 (permalink)
Raoul Donschachner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tallest wheels (not widest) on a standard 110?

Ian Rawlings <news05@tarcus.org.uk> wrote:

> What I'm really after TBH is the same width as my 750R16s but taller
> to add more ground clearance while retaining the same cutting ability


Thats not possible because tyres with this kind of sizes have a 1005 of
the width-sidewall height. And there is nothing with more than 100%.
Taller has to wider. Smallest taller size is 9x16 or the aequivalent,
255/100-16 (Michelin makes them)

> of the 750R16s. The 235/85R16s are wider and a little taller if my
> maths is right, but not really tall enough. The 750R16s are about 30


No, they are exactly the same diameter. I change tyres quite frequently
on my Land Rovers and often have them side by side to see the same
diameter. The Michelin XS in 750x16 on a 6,50 mangels wheel for instance
are also exactly the same width as my BFG AT 235/85-16 on the wolf
wheels.

> inches diameter, ideally I'd get sommat like 33-36 inches in a 7.5
> inch width. I might need a 1 or 2 inch lift for that though.


The american tyres where you can roughly choose width and height are
mostly 15 inches.

Raoul
--
==To e-mail me exchange das_liest_keiner with anything else==
I'll give up my Land Rover when you pry my cold dead fingers
from the steering wheel.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:01   #8 (permalink)
JD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tallest wheels (not widest) on a standard 110?

Ian Rawlings wrote:

> On 2005-05-04, PDannyD <dan1970@TIBSIHTEVOMERscenicplace.freeserve.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> 7.50/16
>> 235/85R16 <---- my favourite
>> 9.00/16

>
> What I'm really after TBH is the same width as my 750R16s but taller
> to add more ground clearance while retaining the same cutting ability
> of the 750R16s. The 235/85R16s are wider and a little taller if my
> maths is right, but not really tall enough. The 750R16s are about 30
> inches diameter, ideally I'd get sommat like 33-36 inches in a 7.5
> inch width. I might need a 1 or 2 inch lift for that though.
>


To go higher but stay with 7.50 width, you will have to go to a larger wheel
diameter - you will be looking at custom wheels. I can't think of any
recent cars with 17, 18 or 19 inch narrow tyres, but you may be able to
find ones made for vintage cars (but they will be cross plies with on road
tread). However, to get any choice you are looking at 20 inch - and at that
size you are talking major body and suspension mods, although it has
probably been done.
JD
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 13:01   #9 (permalink)
Ian Rawlings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tallest wheels (not widest) on a standard 110?

On 2005-05-05, JD <jjd@SPAMLESS.com.au> wrote:

> To go higher but stay with 7.50 width, you will have to go to a
> larger wheel diameter - you will be looking at custom wheels. I
> can't think of any recent cars with 17, 18 or 19 inch narrow tyres,


Not sure what you mean by 17, 18 or 19 inch tyres, I'm assuming you
meant rims rather than tyres?

> but you may be able to find ones made for vintage cars (but they
> will be cross plies with on road tread). However, to get any choice
> you are looking at 20 inch


20 inch what? 20 inch rims? My current rims are 16 inches diameter,
my tyres are 30 inches diameter, I'm not sure where the numbers you
are quoting fit in.

> - and at that size you are talking major body and suspension mods,
> although it has probably been done.


I've seen some hulking great big tyres put on a landy with Volvo C303
portal axles, that was a mighty beast ;-) The axles added about 4
inches of clearance themselves. A little too much modification for me
really, I don't mind adding 1 or 2 inches lift.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 13:01   #10 (permalink)
Ian Rawlings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tallest wheels (not widest) on a standard 110?

On 2005-05-05, Raoul Donschachner <das_liest_keiner@don-moto.at> wrote:

> Thats not possible because tyres with this kind of sizes have a 1005 of
> the width-sidewall height. And there is nothing with more than 100%.
> Taller has to wider. Smallest taller size is 9x16 or the aequivalent,
> 255/100-16 (Michelin makes them)


OK, so I'd need new wheels at least, that's not so bad and what I was
expecting. I get the feeling though that my choices in tread pattern
are likely to be very limited if I want to go narrow!

> No, they are exactly the same diameter. I change tyres quite frequently
> on my Land Rovers and often have them side by side to see the same
> diameter.


I measured mine at 30 inches diameter and calculated the 235's at 31.5
so the 1.5 inches I'd imagine is well within bounds of squashing and
minor measuring point changes, I've never had the opportunity to
compare them in the flesh as you have done.

So do you know of any tyres that are of a similar width but a little
taller? Something like a 235/100/16 (if I am getting my tyre sizes
right)? Or even 235/85/rim larger than 16?

> The american tyres where you can roughly choose width and height are
> mostly 15 inches.


Is that a 15 inch rim?

There are so many different measurements and measurement systems
involved that I have to confess to getting them a little confused at
times so sorry if I seem a little sideways..

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:19.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.