Timing Belt tension on a 200Tdi - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2005, 14:01   #1 (permalink)
Steve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Timing Belt tension on a 200Tdi

Hi folks,
The manual says "tension with a lever-type torque wrench to 20Nm"

Is that right ? It sounds like bugger all.

Steve
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-2005, 15:01   #2 (permalink)
Tom Woods
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Timing Belt tension on a 200Tdi

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:14:24 +0000, Steve
<steve@thetaylorfamily.org.uk> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>The manual says "tension with a lever-type torque wrench to 20Nm"
>
>Is that right ? It sounds like bugger all.


Its not too far off what my workshop manual says for the 2.5 diesel
(29 to 23 Nm) - so its feasably correct.

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 15:01   #3 (permalink)
Steve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Timing Belt tension on a 200Tdi

Pieter Vroom wrote:
> If you are replacing the timing belt you need to double tension it, i.e.
> tension correctly once, rotate engine by hand for a couple of revs, and
> repeat tensioning. I think there is a good description on difflock website
> (for 300tdi, but very similar).
>


Yes, I got that idea from the manual too, just the tension seems awfully
low.

Steve
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 16:02   #4 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Timing Belt tension on a 200Tdi

On or around Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:14:24 +0000, Steve
<steve@thetaylorfamily.org.uk> enlightened us thusly:

>Hi folks,
>The manual says "tension with a lever-type torque wrench to 20Nm"
>
>Is that right ? It sounds like bugger all.


nah, 's right. that's th eload on the tensioner, it's quite tight enough.
It's not the fixings.

--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination -
we learned to talk." Pink Floyd (1994)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 16:02   #5 (permalink)
Nick Williams
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Timing Belt tension on a 200Tdi

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:16:53 +0000, Steve wrote
(in article <4377af0d$0$23294$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>):

> Pieter Vroom wrote:
>> If you are replacing the timing belt you need to double tension it, i.e.
>> tension correctly once, rotate engine by hand for a couple of revs, and
>> repeat tensioning. I think there is a good description on difflock website
>> (for 300tdi, but very similar).
>>

>
> Yes, I got that idea from the manual too, just the tension seems awfully
> low.
>
> Steve


You're not measuring the actual tension in the belt, though, you're measuring
the torque that results on the idler pulley, and the laws of geometry mean
that this is (likely to be) much lower than the actual belt tension.

Nick.

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:01   #6 (permalink)
Huw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Timing Belt tension on a 200Tdi


"Nick Williams" <nick.williams@conformance.co.uk> wrote in message
news:0001HW.BF9D6BEF00A788AAF03055B0@news.demon.co.uk...
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:16:53 +0000, Steve wrote
> (in article <4377af0d$0$23294$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>):
>
>> Pieter Vroom wrote:
>>> If you are replacing the timing belt you need to double tension it, i.e.
>>> tension correctly once, rotate engine by hand for a couple of revs, and
>>> repeat tensioning. I think there is a good description on difflock
>>> website
>>> (for 300tdi, but very similar).
>>>

>>
>> Yes, I got that idea from the manual too, just the tension seems awfully
>> low.
>>
>> Steve

>
> You're not measuring the actual tension in the belt, though, you're
> measuring
> the torque that results on the idler pulley, and the laws of geometry mean
> that this is (likely to be) much lower than the actual belt tension.
>


Besides which and despite popular folklaw, it is not an elastic band.

Huw


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:01   #7 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Timing Belt tension on a 200Tdi

On or around Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:10:43 -0000, "Huw"
<hedydd[nospam]@tiscali.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:

>
>"Nick Williams" <nick.williams@conformance.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:0001HW.BF9D6BEF00A788AAF03055B0@news.demon.co.uk...
>> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:16:53 +0000, Steve wrote
>> (in article <4377af0d$0$23294$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>):
>>
>>> Pieter Vroom wrote:
>>>> If you are replacing the timing belt you need to double tension it, i.e.
>>>> tension correctly once, rotate engine by hand for a couple of revs, and
>>>> repeat tensioning. I think there is a good description on difflock
>>>> website
>>>> (for 300tdi, but very similar).
>>>>
>>>
>>> Yes, I got that idea from the manual too, just the tension seems awfully
>>> low.
>>>
>>> Steve

>>
>> You're not measuring the actual tension in the belt, though, you're
>> measuring
>> the torque that results on the idler pulley, and the laws of geometry mean
>> that this is (likely to be) much lower than the actual belt tension.
>>

>
>Besides which and despite popular folklaw, it is not an elastic band.


very true. The amount of stretch is minimal indeed.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
"Chuck didn't reply, so George swung round in his saddle. He could just
see Chuck's face, a white oval turned toward the sky.
'Look,' whispered Chuck, and George lifted his eyes to heaven.
(There is always a last time for everything.)
Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out"
Arthur C. Clarke, "The 9 billion names of God"
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:02   #8 (permalink)
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Timing Belt tension on a 200Tdi

In message <657hn1hopbrg1r4fciheruarhrgo3cc1av@4ax.com>
Austin Shackles <austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> wrote:

> On or around Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:10:43 -0000, "Huw"
> <hedydd[nospam]@tiscali.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:
>
> >
> >"Nick Williams" <nick.williams@conformance.co.uk> wrote in message
> >news:0001HW.BF9D6BEF00A788AAF03055B0@news.demon.co.uk...
> >> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:16:53 +0000, Steve wrote
> >> (in article <4377af0d$0$23294$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>):
> >>
> >>> Pieter Vroom wrote:
> >>>> If you are replacing the timing belt you need to double tension it, i.e.
> >>>> tension correctly once, rotate engine by hand for a couple of revs, and
> >>>> repeat tensioning. I think there is a good description on difflock
> >>>> website
> >>>> (for 300tdi, but very similar).
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>> Yes, I got that idea from the manual too, just the tension seems awfully
> >>> low.
> >>>
> >>> Steve
> >>
> >> You're not measuring the actual tension in the belt, though, you're
> >> measuring
> >> the torque that results on the idler pulley, and the laws of geometry mean
> >> that this is (likely to be) much lower than the actual belt tension.
> >>

> >
> >Besides which and despite popular folklaw, it is not an elastic band.

>
> very true. The amount of stretch is minimal indeed.


Which is just as well, as setting the timing with a stretchy belt
could represent something of a challenge.......... ;-)

Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Boycott the Yorkshire Dales - No Play, No Pay
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:00.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.