Top Gear votes new Range Rover car of the year - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2002, 13:54   #1 (permalink)

Top Gear votes new Range Rover car of the year

The new Range Rover has been voted Car of the Year 2002 by the BBC's Top Gear Magazine.

Manufactured in the West Midlands by Land Rover, the new Range Rover goes on sale next month.

It saw off challenges from, among others, the Peugeot 307 and Lamborghini's Murcielago for the title.

The magazine's editor Kevin Blick describes the Range Rover as "luxurious, versatile and imposing".
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2002, 14:50   #2 (permalink)
gone

I am sure I posted earlier!!!

But thats a great looking car!, any further information online re this!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 17:12   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by laminge
I am sure I posted earlier!!!

But thats a great looking car!, any further information online re this!
Yes you did. Some time the uk and Euro people don't visit the front page so I doubled up on this particular article because I have been struggling to get Uk topics. I could have linked to the front page but this was just as easy and I gave this section one more line of text:s6:

Your anwser is on the front page
Old 01-31-2002, 03:42   #4 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

It's good to see another member of the Ford family taking out the BBC Top Gear award, only a few years ago the Focus took the award out and then last year with the award going to the new Mondeo and now this.

Good stuff!:s5
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 03:48   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by J-type
It's good to see another member of the Ford family taking out the BBC Top Gear award, only a few years ago the Focus took the award out and then last year with the award going to the new Mondeo and now this.

Good stuff!:s5
Lets hope it will be as good for Ford as the past couple of winners then!
Old 01-31-2002, 03:52   #6 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

Quote:
Originally posted by HSE2

Lets hope it will be as good for Ford as the past couple of winners then!
However saying that you must give credit to BMW as they did most of the work on the new Rangie.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:57   #7 (permalink)

True but it was actually a UK design studio design you see before you. Direction from Jeff Upex and con*****tion with Spencer King himself were involved.

As a designer what are your thoughts on the 2002 design?
Old 01-31-2002, 04:15   #8 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

Quote:
Originally posted by HSE2
True but it was actually a UK design studio design you see before you. Direction from Jeff Upex and con*****tion with Spencer King himself were involved.

As a designer what are your thoughts on the 2002 design?
Personally I like what they have done with headlights and the different size circle's, it gives a fresh interesting look where normal headlights like on the previous generation would make the 2002 model look boring - same goes for the rear.

However apart from that it looks too similar to the one that it replaces and the interior is looking a bit retro - I don't mind it except for that horrible wood they use as veneer as it looks the same as the pine in the decking - the use of burr wallnut would look much better.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:24   #9 (permalink)

Ok. There are actually three types of finish. Cherry is the wood you are talking about. The other options include foundary (polished aluminium) and Burr Wallnut.

They are against it when it comes to redesign this car. The owners are telling you must keep this and that and it gives them little to work with. Stems from the fact the original lasted 25 years, of which there is only a few cars in the world that can make the same claim.

Interestingly the BMW design that was rejected was a departure from the original look. Ford have confirmed a "baby Rangie" so maybe they can start a fresh with that.

I see the Discovery is also getting the front light treatment at the end of this year.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:04   #10 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

I shall have some photos of the Rover line up. I could not get the drive today. They had one on display at the show and the owner of the dealership drives the other that they got in shipment here. So far they have had 9 orders for this new one in the last 3 days.

I like the looks myself. I will try to get the ride evaluation on sat or tuesday.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover

Related Reading: Top Gear votes new Range Rover car of the year