turbo hits fender - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-05, 11:01 AM
Cobra1736
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
turbo hits fender

I try to mount a 200TDI engine complete with coupling and gearboxes from a
disco I into a 1985 model 90" but the turbo hits the fender.
I do not have a parts manual from the later defenders. Could part #107046
(ERR678) the manifold from a later defender with a 200TDI engine be the
answer to my problem ? Did I get the part number right ?

Thanks

Jerry




 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-05, 12:01 PM
edeowner@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: turbo hits fender

The problem that you are having is that the discovery Tdi has a low
mounted turbo whereas the defender one is mounted high up. I guess a
different manifold would work but if my memory serves me right the
alternator is up high aswell where as it is low down on the defender.
Can the wing (fender) be er, modified?

Dave

 
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-05, 03:01 AM
Marc Draper
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: turbo hits fender

In message <24db4$435a7ac8$d47fb97d$7513@cache20.multikabel.net>,
Cobra1736 <g.pathuis@quicknet.nl> writes
>I try to mount a 200TDI engine complete with coupling and gearboxes from a
>disco I into a 1985 model 90" but the turbo hits the fender.
>I do not have a parts manual from the later defenders. Could part #107046
>(ERR678) the manifold from a later defender with a 200TDI engine be the
>answer to my problem ? Did I get the part number right ?



NO

Swapping the manifolds will not solve your problem 100%. The front cover
on a discovery engine prevents the air intake from lining up.

The easiest option but not the best is to cut the footwell (Fender) to
make the engine fit.

You will also find that the gear lever will be in the wrong place is
using a Disco 1 gearbox.
--
Marc Draper
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-05, 03:01 AM
Cobra1736
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: turbo hits fender

Marc,

If a modification of the footwell if not the best solution to the problem
what do you advice.

The 200TDI gear lever is sitting approx 110 mm backwards but the original
lever is bent backwards the result is that the gear knob is sitting in the
same place. Do i get away with this set up.

Jerry


"Marc Draper" <marc@mdeng.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:NTjxF8BcC1WDFwX4@mdeng.demon.co.uk...
> In message <24db4$435a7ac8$d47fb97d$7513@cache20.multikabel.net>,
> Cobra1736 <g.pathuis@quicknet.nl> writes
>>I try to mount a 200TDI engine complete with coupling and gearboxes from a
>>disco I into a 1985 model 90" but the turbo hits the fender.
>>I do not have a parts manual from the later defenders. Could part #107046
>>(ERR678) the manifold from a later defender with a 200TDI engine be the
>>answer to my problem ? Did I get the part number right ?

>
>
> NO
>
> Swapping the manifolds will not solve your problem 100%. The front cover
> on a discovery engine prevents the air intake from lining up.
>
> The easiest option but not the best is to cut the footwell (Fender) to
> make the engine fit.
>
> You will also find that the gear lever will be in the wrong place is using
> a Disco 1 gearbox.
> --
> Marc Draper



 
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-05, 10:02 AM
Marc Draper
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: turbo hits fender

In message <832bc$435b58cb$d47fb97d$3764@cache20.multikabel.net>,
Cobra1736 <g.pathuis@quicknet.nl> writes
>Marc,
>
>If a modification of the footwell if not the best solution to the problem
>what do you advice.
>
>The 200TDI gear lever is sitting approx 110 mm backwards but the original
>lever is bent backwards the result is that the gear knob is sitting in the
>same place. Do i get away with this set up.





The best solution is to use the front cover and ancillarys of a 200tdi
Defender engine, but they are not as easy to get hold of as the disco
ones.

The gear lever issue is up you. Does it clear the seat box OK ? As you
have probably noticed the gear lever and transfer lever swap positions
between Defender and Disco. And it is not a simple case of swapping the
top covers over as the internals are different.
--
Marc
 
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-05, 11:02 AM
Cobra1736
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: turbo hits fender

Marc,

Thanks for the info i will a second look at is.

Jerry

"Marc Draper" <marc@mdeng.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:etdVqbBnY7WDFw3p@mdeng.demon.co.uk...
> In message <832bc$435b58cb$d47fb97d$3764@cache20.multikabel.net>,
> Cobra1736 <g.pathuis@quicknet.nl> writes
>>Marc,
>>
>>If a modification of the footwell if not the best solution to the problem
>>what do you advice.
>>
>>The 200TDI gear lever is sitting approx 110 mm backwards but the original
>>lever is bent backwards the result is that the gear knob is sitting in the
>>same place. Do i get away with this set up.

>
>
>
>
> The best solution is to use the front cover and ancillarys of a 200tdi
> Defender engine, but they are not as easy to get hold of as the disco
> ones.
>
> The gear lever issue is up you. Does it clear the seat box OK ? As you
> have probably noticed the gear lever and transfer lever swap positions
> between Defender and Disco. And it is not a simple case of swapping the
> top covers over as the internals are different.
> --
> Marc



 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome